Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
If I can get traction my Cummins will pull my trailer up a wall.
Awesome - must be a side hill gouger. Can go anywhere.

I do not worry too much if the grade is straight with a run out. Then a little run will just be exciting.

Now a sharp curve at the bottom or half way down. Cat of a different color altogether.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #16

Thanks jeffwit, i was hoping some who has been there would post. What is the best procedure to use when coming down a steep grade with a TT in tow ?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
If you are concerned about having enough stopping power, the bast way is to crest the hill in your lowest gear. Do not ride your brakes, let the engine slow the vehicle. If she starts to pick up too much speed, apply the brakes. Use firm braking to bring the vehicle back to the desired speed then let off completely. This allows the brakes to cool some between uses. If you just lightly ride them and maintain a speed they will continue to heat up until they become useless. Also, let your brake controller do the work of the trailer brakes, do not use the slide to brake only the trailer. let everything work at the same time, and let them cool at the same time. Remember, heat in the brakes is your enemy when descending.

This grade doesn't sound like this is needed, but if it were steeper or dirt, you could also put the truck into low gear and low transfer (if 4x4). That will increase your engine braking dramatically. But be careful to not over rev the engine.

Just be smart, keep you initial speed low, and use common sense, you will do just fine.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
If you are concerned about having enough stopping power, the bast way is to crest the hill in your lowest gear. Do not ride your brakes, let the engine slow the vehicle. If she starts to pick up too much speed, apply the brakes. Use firm braking to bring the vehicle back to the desired speed then let off completely. This allows the brakes to cool some between uses. If you just lightly ride them and maintain a speed they will continue to heat up until they become useless. Also, let your brake controller do the work of the trailer brakes, do not use the slide to brake only the trailer. let everything work at the same time, and let them cool at the same time. Remember, heat in the brakes is your enemy when descending.

This grade doesn't sound like this is needed, but if it were steeper or dirt, you could also put the truck into low gear and low transfer (if 4x4). That will increase your engine braking dramatically. But be careful to not over rev the engine.

Just be smart, keep you initial speed low, and use common sense, you will do just fine.
Really good advice.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #19

Been there, done that....and have the stained shorts to prove it.....

I have been up the aforementioned grade...and back down it. Won't be doing it with a pickup truck again. I was towing my 31 foot 15000 lb 5th wheel. My poor old Dodge tranny would not have made it up w/o 4wd low range and we would have had serious difficulty w/o my Pac Brake and 4wd low range coming down...bad enough with it. Curvy road makes you keep speed low and rpm high. All brakes were smoking and smelling at the bottom. I had a picture of the 25% grade sign for folks that did not believe it, but lost the picture on a phone upgrade. I am sure that my '06 Volvo 780 would do much better up and down but that trip was before I crossed over to the "dark side" [HDT]. Beautiful park and falls, but be very careful if you try that grade !!!!! Charlie
Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #20

Ditto on the cummins pulling the trailer up a wall! We just returned from a trip going down fr Montrose, CO to Durango, CO. 7-8% grade, narrow roads and no gaurd rail. Going uphill was easy w/our 10k lb trailer. Coming down I was frewuently near red lining rpms in first gear and 2nd gear (depending on the speed limit). Brakes on the rig worked great but I was fearful of them getting hot.

Next time I go that route (or any other that has warning signs advising trucks to find an alternate route) I will have a engine brake.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #21

I have been to Amicalola Falls State Park several times as I live about one hour away. The campsites are at the bottom of the falls. The road into the State Park are fairly flat and are in good shape. The 25% grade is only for a few yards and really isn't a big deal from what I can see. You go across the stream and up to the camping area which is close to the stream. My only concern would be in my TT dragging at some point since it is 39' long.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #22

Quote:
X10!
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Lol! That Cummins may do that but that crummy Dodge tranny will burn up while doing it!
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
I have been to Amicalola Falls State Park several times as I live about one hour away. The campsites are at the bottom of the falls. The road into the State Park are fairly flat and are in good shape. The 25% grade is only for a few yards and really isn't a big deal from what I can see. You go across the stream and up to the camping area which is close to the stream. My only concern would be in my TT dragging at some point since it is 39' long.
Yeah, that's in my backyard, too. Great roads up there, but that grade is inside the park, not really a road you'll be towing on at travel speeds.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #25

Thanks All !!!

Will look forward to planning a trip there.

Jim & Pat