Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Fuel View Post
I went to the large RV show they had out here at the fairgrounds today. I checked out some 26 footers and they are very nice but I am ok with the 22 - 24' units. The smaller floorplans will work for me since Im lacking in truck and skills. I'll play it safe.
I think this is a wise decision. That 26' unit is pretty close to the weight limits of your truck, which I actually think would be okay if you don't plan on towing very far. For example, if you're only going 50 miles 6 times a year, I think you can get a lot closer to your truck's limits than if you're planning on a 6K mile cross country trip. But in the end, it's better to be conservative.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Back in 05' we were shopping for a new pop-up I thought. We happened to pop our heads into a 18' hybrid and said "WOW" for just a few more dollars we can have 5 times the storage space than a new pop-up. Then the DW walked over to the 20' model.."O" this one is even nicer...then the came the 22' model, "WoW" this one has a couch. Another minute later..."look dear, this one has a couch and a slide and it's only 24' (actually 24'6")". Long story short, bought the 24' one and after a few trips got used to it. I think the biggest thing to get used to was the old pop-up was 7' wide. The new tt was 8' wide.

The new 26' we have now is well under the limit for my Tundra, but we do a lot of state parks off the beaten path in hilly and mountainous areas. Some times that involves narrow secondary roads that I have to drive very defensively.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #31

I'd wager most 1/2 tons towing anything are real close to their GVWR. Our Ram1500 5.7hemi 4x4 CC has a 6900lb GVWR. Our 19' toy hauler's tongue at 700lbs+ puts our loaded (people, dogs, kayaks, +) truck 400lbs over GVWR...yet we're under the 3900lb axle loads, under tire loads, under max towable and under max combined tow, and, the trailers an easy tow. We test towed a Lance 2295 (they didn't have our 2285 choice) with the truck loaded and the trailer with gas and 2 batteries but no other gear. It towed very solid, not unlike the 19' trailer, and it's supposedly got a heavier tongue than the 2285, which we ordered. Do a test tow. Find a hill, windy narrow road and a 55mph sign. You'll know.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome Jet,
If you want someone to tell you that you can tow anything, just talk to the salesman. There are times I wish my TT was 3 feet shorter just for tight CG's. Go sit in the TT and say " if it rained for 2 days would I be able to stand it in here?" With a 1/2 ton gasser you'll be happier and have an easier time towing with the smaller TT's you're looking at. My personal best length would be just under 30 ft and my TT is at 31. The Nash units can come with a built in gen, nice.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #33

I know everyone's opinion is different and it's 100% personal preference, but we ended up buying the smallest TT on our list after 8+ months of shopping.
You can tout the benefits of any length, but YOUR decision needs to come down to a handful of questions:
Can I tow it comfortably (and how far are you really going)? I wanted to be very comfortable over very long distance.

Does it have the features I want?

Can I afford it? If paying for it cuts into you fuel budget, then NO. A trip to the national parks could be a couple grand in fuel.

Do you like it? If you look at your camper and have regrets... it's no good.

And then there is the "room to grow" question. You may end up finding a 23' is plenty. Or you can go bigger after a few years. But getting one that's too big right away is another terrible place to be, and hard to get out of without a big financial hit.

WHY are you getting a camper? We travel fair distances and spend most days outside. Yes, we have had to spend a rainy day or two inside with kids and dogs playing games or watching movies. A smaller camper encourages you to spend time outside, not sitting in a recliner. But if you use it more like a vacation home that only moves (you) sometimes, maybe a bigger camper is for you.

Do you prefer to be in an RV resort where everyone is in pull-throughs 10 feet apart, or a private 25' back-in in the woods? Take a drive to a local state park or where ever you are likely to camp often and see for yourself what sites are appealing.

These are just some of the questions you have to answer for yourself.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I know everyone's opinion is different and it's 100% personal preference, but we ended up buying the smallest TT on our list after 8+ months of shopping.
After a couple months of searching, we ended up with the longest one on our list....just under 27'....similar to yours.

Maybe 26-27' is the sweet spot.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:15 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Fuel View Post
I went to the large RV show they had out here at the fairgrounds today. I checked out some 26 footers and they are very nice but I am ok with the 22 - 24' units. The smaller floorplans will work for me since Im lacking in truck and skills. I'll play it safe.
I chose the Outdoor RV's 23RKS, There are just the two of us. We are not the camping every weekend types. I have a few more years working before I can use it more often. My wife claims that I bought the trailer because I like to fix/improve things. Probably right. She always is.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:19 AM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Back in 05' we were shopping for a new pop-up I thought. We happened to pop our heads into a 18' hybrid and said "WOW" for just a few more dollars we can have 5 times the storage space than a new pop-up. Then the DW walked over to the 20' model.."O" this one is even nicer...then the came the 22' model, "WoW" this one has a couch. Another minute later..."look dear, this one has a couch and a slide and it's only 24' (actually 24'6")". Long story short, bought the 24' one and after a few trips got used to it. I think the biggest thing to get used to was the old pop-up was 7' wide. The new tt was 8' wide.

The new 26' we have now is well under the limit for my Tundra, but we do a lot of state parks off the beaten path in hilly and mountainous areas. Some times that involves narrow secondary roads that I have to drive very defensively.
That's why we went with the smaller higher ground clearance trailer.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin25113 View Post
I chose the Outdoor RV's 23RKS, There are just the two of us. We are not the camping every weekend types. I have a few more years working before I can use it more often. My wife claims that I bought the trailer because I like to fix/improve things. Probably right. She always is.
Congratulations on your decision. You will have a great time and the DW will soon be bugging you to go more often.

You will meet another "family" of great people to associate with. Lots of new friends you have not met are waiting for you.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Boy, love the 80 gallon fresh water tank that Outdoor RV's 23RKS has to offer. watched some of the videos for what they do for a 4 seasons RV.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Boy, love the 80 gallon fresh water tank that Outdoor RV's 23RKS has to offer. watched some of the videos for what they do for a 4 seasons RV.
The freshwater tank size is nice, but when full, it puts about 650lbs (80 X 8.2 lbs.) in front of the trailer axles. The grey and black tanks also appear to be slightly in front also. I try to travel with 10 gallons or less, live in the desert. It all depends on my measured hitch weight prior to departure. I tend to use it as adjustable ballast when towing.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 80 gal is nice but I only travel with it full if I am going dry camping or the water in the CG is not trusted. One other time, wind. hate to even say the word. That 80 gal of weight down low can help.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote