Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Very nice. But Excel needs to fire their webpage designer. They omitted any floorplans for the DT33CKE and DT33RLE TTs. All the Excel 5ers show the layout the OP wants = opposing slides for the LR and bed that slides out. But no floorplan for the TTs to show they have the same arrangement.

And heavy is right. About 12,000 pounds unloaded and 13,500 GVWR. Now that's a heavy TT. I hope no one tries to tow one of those up I-70 through the Eisenhower tunnel with a half-ton pickup.
Go here: Excel Winslow - Excel RVs

Then select the Travel Trailer tab.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I eventually found it. Then I was editing my post while you were writing yours, so we passed in the dark.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #17

Thanks for the tip but both their units are sold already..
Bill B. (Michigan)
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #18

Somewhat off topic, but I towed my 1998 Starcraft 33' (single) super slide with a 96 Ram dually diesel on 19.5" tires, with or without a WD hitch it hardly knew it was back there... Trailer had double stacked 6" box tube frame rails (12" frame total, full length), the tag said it was 7,740# empty. With 50 gallons of fresh water capacity and all that we piled in the back of the truck and in the trailer, we had to be around 18,000 total gross, and it handled great. To be honest I never had it on the interstate, but ran 60-65 mph on the highways on flat ground and 50-55 on some of the steepest hills in this part of the state, and 55-60 through curvy highway areas, and it did great. The same roads I have driven plenty without a trailer and the only sections that I slowed down for with the trailer was the steepest hills. In my opinion the key to good handling with any heavy trailer especially a bumper pull, is a dually truck with good heavy tires. A WD hitch does wonders and I'm sure a trailer sway bar will help too. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to latch onto a bumper pull trailer that weighed 12-14,000 lbs. As long as the tongue weight is realistic and the trailer is balanced fairly, it shouldn't be a problem on a dually. The dual tires adds a LOT of stability. A camper trailer is usually going to be well balanced since it is designed that way. Usually bumper pull trailers are only awkward or unsafe because they were improperly loaded not improperly designed.

Best of luck finding the right trailer! Just don't skimp out on the tow vehicle!

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #19

Cougar High Country 321RES.. We are pulling it with an F350 - but folks in the lower 48 are using 1/2 tons..
The second AC is an option that we did not take as we have yet to turn ours on (in two years of trailer use)! Now that is cool!!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
Cougar High Country 321RES.. ... The second AC is an option that we did not take ...
Per the Keystone RV website, a 13,500 AC is part of the "Camping in style" pkg, and the current 321RES has an option to replace that with one 15,000 BTU AC, but not two. And apparently no 50-amp option.

http://www.keystonerv.com/build-my-r...High Country#/
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Per the Keystone RV website, a 13,500 AC is part of the "Camping in style" pkg, and the current 321RES has an option to replace that with one 15,000 BTU AC, but not two. And apparently no 50-amp option.

http://www.keystonerv.com/build-my-r...High Country#/
Ours (2011 - one of the first) came with a 50A system (single AC), the second AC may be a possible dealer option, with the factory installing the wiring (we did not check on it as the second AC is not needed here, but several folks I know of received their trailers with 2 AC units as ordered on delivery - we ordered and received 2 Fantastic Fans and a hitch system and they too are not listed).. I can verify the 2013 models for the 50A service if needed or even take pictures of ours.. I am confident they too come with the same service.. I was really surprised with ours when it arrived - Wow, 50a service cord (damn - first thought)!! Now, I just use a 30a with a simple adapter.. Actually it is sort of nice as I can always scale down - one cannot scale up..
I would recommend the second AC in the lower 48 unless you are strictly playing in a low temp area.. If Keystone cannot do it, the dealer can and the lowest price will come at order time..
There are several additions that can be done that are not listed (whether dealer or factory is a mood point) in the Keystone option page... They do increase price, but the dealer may give you a great price on the additions.. Let them know what you want and look at their pricing...
We're waiting for one with a wood fireplace! Now that would impress me!!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #22

Ya wanna chat with 321 owners - here is a link to a thread on this site - 58 pages and growing..
Cougar 321 RES
Old 01-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #23

I would also reccomend the Cougar 321RES. Purchased a 2012 last year and it came with 50 amp and provisions for a second AC unit. Most dealers should be able to install an AC unit.

Tags
evergreen, slide