Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #1

Question 3 year old furnace stopped working

This is actually the beginning of the 3rd camping season. flushed everything out to get ready for our first trip this year and when I ran the furnace something just didn't seem just right. BUT....... we went anyway and after about the 3rd or 4th light off it wouldn't light off. I would turn the t-stat to off then back on and it would then sometimes light off.
I accessed the furnace area and removed the front cover to see what the flame looked like and had my wife turn the t-stat to on. What I saw was a "lazy flame" not a strong crisp flame that I remember.
I might make mention that I have a Suburban model NT-30SP.
Also, the reason I think that something was wrong was because it didn't seem like the blower was as strong as before.
Could it be the blower or the gas valve or both ?
Thanks in advance
CampingInADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Are your battery(s) up to full charge? And in good condition?
Old 05-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #3

3 yr. old furnace stopped working

Yes. freshly charged but am plugged into 30 amp ac circuit. Do you think that a bad battery would make this happen even though I'm running on ac ?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

The lazy flame may be a symptom of restricted gas.
If your other gas appliances are working well, with proper flame height, I would check to see if there is a screen in the inlet of the gas valve that has gotten plugged off a bit.

If so do not try to operate with the screen removed or damaged. It keeps crud from getting into the internals of the gas valve and causing a valve to stick open.

If you are not familiar with this sort of operation have a service tech handle it. AC's that don't function correctly are an inconvenience, furnaces that cannot shut off are deadly.

If you Google Furnace Service Manual, Suburban NT-30 there are some excellent online resources.

Just us good judgement and caution. Saving a service call won't seem like such a good deal if you burn yourself or your equipment.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Dirty flame sensor? Try some fine sandpaper on it to take off the crud
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #6
IC2

Mud daubers and some spiders like to nest in furnace, HW heater and fridge burner tubes - they seem to 'enjoy' the odor. It may be a simple disassembly, clean and restore. If not, then you need to dig deeper. What you see may only be a pilot flame based on your description. A new thermocouple then MAY fix the problem - and most replacements can be purchased at any big box store for ten bucks or less.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:49 AM   #7

Thanks to all that responded ! Finally was able to get back up there to do some more troubleshooting and had to remove the furnace and bring it home so I could go right through it. I checked all the safety switches and then the gas valve coils. That's where the problem is. One coil has 49 ohms and the other is open (0 ohms). I am ordering a new gas valve today.
Again, thanks for all your responses.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Glad to read you have found your problem! Thanks for the update......
Old 05-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingInADK View Post
Thanks to all that responded ! Finally was able to get back up there to do some more troubleshooting and had to remove the furnace and bring it home so I could go right through it. I checked all the safety switches and then the gas valve coils. That's where the problem is. One coil has 49 ohms and the other is open (0 ohms). I am ordering a new gas valve today.
Again, thanks for all your responses.
You rock! Well done!. I would have taken a sledgehammer to it lol.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace