Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

30 Amp or 50 Amp ??

Hi ya'll...I have a 2013 30ft TT that runs on 30 Amp service. I usually run the A/C, hot water heater and the TV with no problem and obviously, when I use the microwave, it might trip the breaker, but unless I put that on, there's usually no problem. Every once in a while while at a campsite, the breakers seem to trip with even less power being used and myself and other campers seem to think the power source just might not be that great. This weekend, after several breaker switches tripping, I put on my 30/50 amp adapter and plugged my unit into the 50 Amp service. The thought behind this was instead of getting a "weak" 30 amp service, I could probably get a "strong" 30 Amp service, while being plugged into a 50 Amp. Thgis was a last minute, dire decision...But, was I thinking correctly, or is it just one of those things where it just doesn't "work like that?" Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Which breaker is tripping? 30amp on pole or in camper or individual breakers?

ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been to CGs where we were tripping breaker on 30a service of the pedestal. The maintenance persons from the CG came with a 30/50a adapter and plugged us into the 50a. No more problem. I carry a 30/50 adapter, and now do this myself if the problem is encountered.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You won't be able to get any more power from the pedestal than the circuit breakers in your TT allow. The only thing you've done by plugging in to the 50 amp plug is eliminating the pedestal CB and relying only on your power panel CBs. Tripping of the 30 amp breaker could happen if voltage drops. As that happens, the amp draw will go up, thus tripping the CB. In addition, you didn't mention the draw of your Converter/charger. I'd suggest an EMS so you can monitor electricity quality and usage, adding another layer of protection to the valuable electrical devices in your RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have been to CGs where we were tripping breaker on 30a service of the pedestal. The maintenance persons from the CG came with a 30/50a adapter and plugged us into the 50a. No more problem. I carry a 30/50 adapter, and now do this myself if the problem is encountered.
Let me add to my own post, you should have a EMS to provide power protection (not just surge protection). Such as from Progressive Industries.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #6

Assume the 30 amp in your tt is controlling max draw but if not, hope you are using a 50amp cord to convey your newly found 50 amp service to your tt which, by the way, is also wired for 30 amp, not 50 amp???? Guess they sell the plugs but I dont like the idea of sending 50 amps thru 30 amp rated wire.....just saying
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me put it this way.... You did the right thing.

Oh, last time in the park I[am at I tripped the 50 amp breakers 5 times in 2 days... now,,, just for comparison I have tripped 50 amp breakers five times in eight years... Same five.

They put in new breakers the next day and I have not tripped one since.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Assume the 30 amp in your tt is controlling max draw but if not, hope you are using a 50amp cord to convey your newly found 50 amp service to your tt which, by the way, is also wired for 30 amp, not 50 amp???? Guess they sell the plugs but I dont like the idea of sending 50 amps thru 30 amp rated wire.....just saying
They don't 'send' the amps through. You draw it through. The limiting factor is wire size and CB size. All those outlets 20, 30, 50 have maximum amperage behind them-usually 50.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Usually 50"... no, behind the breaker you can often draw 100-200-even as much as 400 depending on the park and the site.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #10

If you are plugged into a 30 amp recept. in a pedestal, you have the 30 amp breaker in the panel in series with the 30 amp main breaker in your RV's panel. So if it's the pedestal breaker that you find tripping all the time and not the pedestal one, it probably means that the pedestal breaker has gotten tired and won't hold its rated amps. Pedestal breakers get turned on and off a lot (you should not plug in your cord when live) and they live in an outside environment that isn't always good for them (high/low temp and humidity) so they can get worn out.

If the cg voltage is low, your AC unit(s) will draw more current and you will trip the 30 amp breaker sooner. If it's a hot day out and everyone has their AC units running, the cg voltage will likely be down and at dinner time it can be the worst. Some campgrounds just aren't designed for everyone running full tilt. A voltmeter is a good thing to have to check the status and a permanently mounted one is the best. Low voltage is a common problem and if you want/need to keep your AC and everything else running, the only way to do that is to get a Frank's or Hughes autotransformer. If your voltage gets down to 105, you should shut everything off to prevent damage, esp. the AC unit. If you get an EMS or SurgeGuard, it will automatically shut down before there's damage. What if you went shopping in the morning, left the AC on and got back in the afternoon when the cg has low voltage?

RV2130 RV Autoformer - RV Low Voltage Solution

For low voltage conditions (but above 105V) and for generator application, there is a "hard start capacitor" mod. that is available. AC units have a high momentary inrush current of up to 6 times the running current on initial start which is why they often trip a breaker when turned on. Some info. here:

RV2130 RV Autoformer - RV Low Voltage Solution

http://http://www.supco.com/images/p...%20Booklet.pdf

There's absolutely nothing wrong with adapting to a 50 amp pedestal with a 30 amp cord because there is a 30 amp breaker in the RV's panel. It's not possible to draw more than 30 amps in the cord...
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
myredracer

Exactly right.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post

There's absolutely nothing wrong with adapting to a 50 amp pedestal with a 30 amp cord because there is a 30 amp breaker in the RV's panel. It's not possible to draw more than 30 amps in the cord...

Maybe, maybe not! There is not a 50 AMP breaker to be found on my RV with 50 AMP service! And there was not a 30A breaker on the TT I had before. Just saying...

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
Maybe, maybe not! There is not a 50 AMP breaker to be found on my RV with 50 AMP service! And there was not a 30A breaker on the TT I had before. Just saying...

H
If you add the amperage of all the CBs in your power panel they will total your rated service. There is no single CB for all 50 amps, it is split into the various circuits of your RV.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #14

Forget what I said...

Just went out and checked... Found a 50A DP breaker... And I have had that breaker box apart rewiring for a sub panel for the inverter in my solar setup! It's a beech getting old. But... it is in a load center setup and not a "Main", so I forgive myself!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote