Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #1

30 Amp plug issue

When we connect the 30 amp power cord to our RV we can't push it in and twist it to lock it into place, it won't work.

We have to push it in just a little and let it hang there for it to work. There is a yellow burn mark on the one prong hole. Could that be the culprit?
Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, it likely is. Try to look inside the female portion of it also (the part that sits in the round hole) to see if it's discolored and pitted also. With the power disconnected you could take some steel wool and try to clean up the contacts but if you have a pitted condition with black marks- you'll likely need a Dremel or similar tool to clean it up. Unless I can see a good close up of it- it's hard to tell what the best action would be but a complete replacement of both plug and receptacle sounds in order. I would hesitate using it as you are with it "hanging" to make contact. It can build up heat and make things worse. Since you might be replacing it, here's a good option as well:

SmartPlug Systems - Shore Power Products and Accessories
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

Here's a photo. I think this may be the problem

http://uploadpie.com/eq7mm
Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

Yep ! Definitely a bad connection there !Check the male connections to see if they are burnt or show any sign of discoloring, if so , replace both !!!!
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would recommend replacing that connector.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Yep ! Definitely a bad connection there !Check the male connections to see if they are burnt or show any sign of discoloring, if so , replace both !!!!
Yup.. replace both..
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #7

I am surprised you don't blow the pedestal fuse when you plug it in.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #8

And whenever you plug or unplug, turn off the breaker at the pedestal first, so there is no tendency to arc as you insert or pull your plugs. Since I added an inlet port on the side of the trailer, I find it all to easy to pull that plug before flipping the pedestal breaker - it was easier to remember when I had a direct-wired extension cord and only a pedestal-end plug to deal with...
austex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #9

Good point Austec, i always try to make sure the power is off when i hook up. Or at best ,camper first the power pole.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
We have to push it in just a little and let it hang there for it to work. There is a yellow burn mark on the one prong hole. Could that be the culprit?
Yes.. It might be possible to fix but I would recommend a new Marinco Outlet (just the outlet you should be able to re-use the cover) (the cover is the yellow part).
Old 06-03-2015, 03:45 AM   #11

Is it possible that discoloration was caused from arcing when you did not have a good connection, rather than be being the cause it was a effect?
Old 06-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #12

I eliminated the troublesome connector in the sidewall and hard wired the cable. I just don't understand why anyone would want a fire hazard.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote