Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

4 ‘newbie’ questions

We just brought home our 1st travel trailer (a Mallard 24j) and joined your Forum and would sincerely appreciate some opinions from you well traveled ones on a couple of ‘newbie’ questions.
Although it’s a 2001, it’s immaculate inside and out as we purchased it from the original owner who took excellent care of it (waxing it annually for example).
Question 1: Here in Bend Oregon there are several dealers for service, however, we plan to leave it on our property for approx 2 years, outside of John Day in eastern Oregon (population 2,300) where there is limited service. We do not plan to move it, but just enjoy some weekend getaways. The question is, although everything works fine, would you have a professional inspect it here in Bend before relocating it, if you were us? (i.e. inspect hoses, connections, etc)?
Question 2: Have you had experience with a ‘Blue Boy’? We will be ‘dry-camping,’ no power or water, and it looks like our options for the black water are: rent a porta-potty / buy a ‘Blue Boy’/ or have someone service the tank on-site now and then. (We do not have a truck to tow it into town). What would you recommend?
Question 3: Of course we’ll need to purchase a generator (3000 watt to power the AC ?) and store it in the trailer (?) between visits. Haven’t started looking yet but any recommendations are appreciated…
Question 4: Seller said one of the batteries should be replaced hence any recommendations are also appreciated…
Thank You in advance for making time to share your opinion....
Richard and Debbie, Bend Oregon, 541-389-4523

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #2

yes have it all checked out even the wheel bearings also any of the portable black water tanks will work. just remember the black water tank on your camper is bigger than a transfer tank so be careful. as far as a generator get 2 Hondas and run them together very quiet and very good on gas. as far as batteries replace all at one time I use interstate 24 series. also you can look at solar power for charging the batt. if you don't want to run the gen. hope this helps

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #3

Thank you for your prompt reply and ideas!
Curious why you'd recommend 2 Hondas versus one? (-:
Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #4

The generators Breed is talking about are only 2000 watts and it is common to run two in parallel to fully power an RV.

I think that Honda now makes a 3K unit now that may better serve your purpose.

Although Honda generators are arguably the best on the market, prepare yourself for the sticker shock when you price them.

There are several goods threads on this forum concerning generators. Try a search for generators.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miljet View Post
The generators Breed is talking about are only 2000 watts and it is common to run two in parallel to fully power an RV.

I think that Honda now makes a 3K unit now that may better serve your purpose.

Although Honda generators are arguably the best on the market, prepare yourself for the sticker shock when you price them.

There are several goods threads on this forum concerning generators. Try a search for generators.
correct the reason I say two 2000's is because if you don't need to run the a/c but you need power then just run 1 and save fuel. also you can go with a bigger single generator if you want you can find the Honda for around 1800 or two for 2100. and the two small ones use less room. there is a gen. called powerhouse that is cheaper but not sure how good they are. or there is a few others. just get the inverter style. they are better in more then one way.
we run a big 7000 watt gen. but I run all my tools off of it when I'm working on cars , trucks , or motorcycles. ours is not great on fuel but not to loud.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #6

Another good reason to go with two 2,000w Honda's is the weight and size. The 2000 inverter weighs about 55 pounds (I can pick it up, put it in the truck etc), the 3,000 w Honda weight is approximately 135 pounds- a lot more than I care to lift. You also have the smaller generators available for other uses.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

While I agree that 2 2,000 watt Hondas will work fine I think you will be better off with one 3,000 watt Honda (or equivalent Yamaha.) It sounds like portability isn't an issue since you're staying put.
By the way, I wouldn't store the gen. in the camper. That will make for a gas smell inside. It would be best to keep it outside; possibly in a small storage shed that you will probably need for all the other things you will accumulate at your camp over the years.
You can get the 3,000 watt Honda with an electric start, even a remote start, and you won't have to worry about extra paralleling cables, 2 fuel tanks, etc.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #8

Hi again!
I see you mentioned "as far as batteries replace all at one time I use interstate 24 series" -- why is all at 1 time important? (again, I'm a newbie......)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #9

Two Champion 2000's stacked for the price of one Honda 2000.

Refurbished 2000W Inverter Bundle (Red) | SuperGen Products
Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

It's best to replace all the batteries at the same time so they equalize and then they last longer. If you have one old weak battery and one new one the old weak battery will slowly pull down and damage the new one shortening it's life.

This is a over simplification and I'm telling it wrong because I really don't know the technical reason for it but, it's what I've been taught.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #11

If you have a Costco or Sams Club you can get a pair of 6 volt 220 amp hour GC2's called golf cart batteries. This is a very good place to start.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #12

The generator(s) are a nice idea, but you might consider solar power instead, unless the place you are going to put it on your property is shaded. It's about the same cost to install solar power as it is to get a generator, but once you have it installed you can forget about it (no maintenance and no gas and no noise). There are lots of places to learn about solar power in this forum and on the web. We've got some notes on our website too (we've lived with solar power exclusively for over 5 years):

RV Solar - A Guide to Installing Solar Panels on your RVRVing & Sailing the Roads Less Traveled
RV Solar Power Tutorial Part I
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #13

I love ths: "It's about the same cost to install solar power as it is to get a generator, but once you have it installed you can forget about it (no maintenance and no gas and no noise)."
Will it run our AC? If so I'm in!
Gratefully, Richard
Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #14

I think Groovy missed the part about running the AC.
No, solar power won't run your air conditioner. Since you're stationary you could theoretically build a system large enough to run it but now were well into 5 figure territory. Ideally a modest solar system to run everything but AC and a gen. to run the AC would be the best set up. But solar will cost what the gen. will or more. So, that's certainly the most expensive option.

Tags