Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #1

4 out 0f 7 110 v plugs dont work

i have a 27ft traveltrailer 2007 rpm toy hauler. the ceiling plugs work and the microwave works. the bathroom, kitchen, and 2 rear plugs dont work. i know they have worked before, ive only owner the camper for 2 months. im currently hooked up to shore power 30 amp. the bathroom plug is gfi, when i press the reset/test i dont get the click that you get in a house... so im thinking that plug my be the start on the circut and is a bad gfi
sailfish1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll get a lot of experts chiming in soon.

Is your trailer a 50 rig that is hooked to 30 amp shorepower via an adapter? Seems to me that either a GFI problem or only getting on leg of a 50amp hook up could cause the problem. I believe a bad adapter could do that.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
sailfish,
If you have any other GFCIs in wet locations, they may be the culprit. Check around the kitchen sink and don't forget to check any outside 110v receptacles, too.
Also, check all circuit breakers in the panel... the number of dead outlets suggests 2 or possibly 3 circuits. The microwave should be on a single dedicated circuit.
Keep the faith!
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #4

i havent been outside looking yet will do in the morning, and yes the microwave is on a circut by itself, and the rest of breakers are not tripped. i used these plugs pluged in at my house and when i was dry camping with a onan, so its worked on shore power and generator. I noticed on the last trip, some plugs were not working and later in the day after turning the power off and back on they were working. weird
Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
"Weird"... yes that is a good description of any electrical gremlin!
Also, sometimes there are outlets in storage bays and they may be GFCIs upline of your affected outlets. I'm sure you will chase it down.
Again, good luck and be safe!
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #6

it was the gfi wiggled it then the reset light came on going to replace it when i get back home thanks everyone
Old 10-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
you could also have a loose neutral wire. i had a similar situation and was convinced i had a bad GFI outlet. i replaced the outlet and it did not solve the problem. i pulled the remaining outlets and there was one that was the first in that line. it had a neutral wire that had come off. reinserted it and all was fine again.

RV manufacturers have started using the zip outlets. the wire is pinched between two copper blades. the blade cut thru the insulation and contact is made. they are also used in the housing industry, but a house doesn't bounce down the highway like am RV does. i replaced all of the outlets with one where th wire pushed in from behind, but there is also a screw that you tighten to clamp the wire in place.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
A VOM is your friend, start at the fuse panel and work your way down the line.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #9

Sailfish, check the fuzes/resets on your converter/inverter. They will trip under heavy 110 load. Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #10

sounds like a bad gfi, or someone hooked it up to 220v, check the gfi's,
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
RV receptacles are like the ones in Mobile Homes. They are light weight and cheaply made. Many of them go bad right away. Carry an couple extra with you. It amy not be the last time you have trouble with the RV type GFCI.

Or, if possible, replace it with a Residential type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish1982 View Post
it was the gfi wiggled it then the reset light came on going to replace it when i get back home thanks everyone
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote