Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

Question 4-Season Trailer info wanted by new guy

Hello. I just found this site. I'm looking to buy my first ever travel trailer. I want to go somwhere warmer than north Iowa over winter. I was told by a friend I should get a 4 season trailer, as they would have better insulation than a regular one, that would keep the hot summer sun out as well as the cold. Double pane windows were advised also. From the googling I have done, it seems as though Arctic Fox, Nash, and Lance come highly recommended. I want a smaller trailer (17-19'?), as it would be for just me. But I need a queen sized bed, which isn't negotiable. The Nash 17k is more affordable ($17k) than the Lance 1575 or 1685 (around $24k). Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am pulling with a 2004 F-150 4wd with 5.4 liter engine. Thank you for any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #2

Sounds like you want to be a snowbird. If that is true you probably do not need a 4 season trailer. That would really open up a lot more selection.

But the Lance is a very good small trailer and I can not think of a small trailer that would be better.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #3

You appear to have already considered the best offerings. Four-seasons is a vague term, because it has a different meaning in ND than it does in So. CA. Keeping out the heat and cold is important, the insulation package does that if the R-values are sufficiently high. The package also means enclosed, heated holding tanks. Price alone is not the best way to purchase the best trailer, insulation R-values, accessibility to all features, ease of care, does it "fit" you, warranty work network, will your tow vehicle safely handle it, etc., are IMO, more desirable than the lowest priced unit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

Thanks tuffr2 and Ray. This is all new and kinda scary, to up and move across the country and move into a camper with the same square footage as my bedroom... But I'm not getting any younger and figure why not. It's time to get out and meet new people. I would like to see the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone for sure, after that my options are wide open! I'm just a little worried that if I'm sitting in the desert in Arizona and it gets 100 degrees or more it could get kinda hot in the tin box without good insulation. Oh- I suppose I'll need a generator too!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout View Post
Oh- I suppose I'll need a generator too!
Only if you plan on boondocking - camping without hookups.

In addition to the superficial "foo-foo" features, look at the axles, tires, frame, power converter, etc. where many manufacturers will "cheap out" because these foundational elements can't readily be seen or are generally ignored and, thus, don't draw in buyers with open checkbooks. An investment in quality underpinnings and support systems can save you a LOT of headaches down the road.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #6

Anything with wheels should not be in the desert in 100 plus degree temps. Also get yourself a pooch as a travel friend. Spend summers in Flagstaff and winters on BLM land in S. Arizona the winter.

If you spend time in an RV park you will meet a lot of people kinda like yourself. RV parks will also have activities. Horseshoe, biking, hiking, kayaking, cards, ice cream socials, dinners once or twice per month, a pool, etc.

I like RV parks to a point. Then I like to be away from them for awhile.

A F-150 towing a 19' travel trailer. It does not really get much better than that. Easy to tow, easy to park, easy to maintain, easy to heat, easy to cool.

Yes, get a good generator. Honda or Yamaha. Yamaha makes a 2400 watt that will run 13,500 btu A/C units.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are also optional cold weather packages (factory options) on many other travel trailers. Like, I had a Dutchmen Denali that had what they called the "Arctic Pack." It had extra insulation everywhere, dual pane windows, fully enclosed underbody, and heated service tanks.

This might allow a wider search for floorplans you like.

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #8

Try and get the biggest AC they offer. For many of us a smaller AC will suffice but, if your going to go where it's really hot you need a big AC.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout View Post
I want a smaller trailer (17-19'?), as it would be for just me. But I need a queen sized bed, which isn't negotiable.
It doesn't sound like you need a 4-seasons full-timer RV. An ordinary TT should work just fine if you head to the warm country in cold weather and head to the cool mountains when scorching summertime temps are in the warm country.

As long as you stay out of freezing weather and scorching weather, then my TT should suit your needs to a "T". Skyline Nomad Joey Model 196. MSRP with several options was over $17,000, but my 2012 model was discounted to less than $13,000 cash in January 2012.

Notice the floorplan has some things Darling Wife insisted on: walk-around queen-size bed, nice big closet plus the two small wardrobes by the bed, separate bathtub/shower so we don't have to sit on the pottie to take a bath. All the normal amminities such as AC, microwave, hot water heater, stovetop and oven, refrigerator, TV antenna, wired for cable TV, wall-mounted flat-screen TV on the wall by the bathroom door. We don't need a couch or chairs, so the dinette is just fine for our needs. Ours even has the optional outside shower, but we probably won't use that very often.

GVWR is 5,600, but loaded for bear for a 4,200 mile trip last summer, the TT grossed 4,870 pounds with 650 pounds hitch weight. So it should definitely be towable by your F-150 without overloading anything. My F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost 4x2 is overloaded by 100 pounds because of a 200-pound topper we haul.

The TT "box" is about 19' inside length, the model number is 196, and the advertised length from coupler to the back of the bumper is about 22'. It's a bit crowded for us two old folks plus two dogs, but we make do. It should be ideal for one old codger.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #10

I like that floor plan SmokeyWren. It's a lot like the TT I have and it works well for me and a girlfriend or, I can fold down the dinette and bring along a friend.
I watched a video about it on you tube and I like that bathroom closet.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #11

More and more manufacturers are touting the 4 season thing. Another option you might consider is related to the AF/Nash lineup. Creek side is now a cousin to them as I understand, as Northwood has a hand in their operation. From what I can tell they use the heavy duty NW frame underneath, but are priced right beneath the Nash. I think they have some videos on YouTube. We looked at a 23 footer that was interesting and they're not bad. With Northwood DNA they might be worth thinking about.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #12

Thanks MarkQ. That's good to know about Creekside. I'll go see what I can find. I hope they make a 19footer!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

They make an 18' and a 20'. I'm not crazy about the floorplan in the 18', but the 20' is pretty good - except for lack of a big closet.

Outdoors RV Mfg: 2013 Creek Side 20FQ
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #14

I absolutely love my Artic Fox 22GQ. Very nice! Spent the winter in Idaho Falls warm and cozy. Love it!