Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
I see several options but don't know which one would be better. My RV is brand new and the mattress they used I guess is supposed to resemble a temperpedic. Its hard like my bed at home because of my back, but in the middle of the night I get hot and when I roll over there is a big hole where my butt was just laying that makes it so uncomfortable. Does anybody have any suggestions to where I can keep that somewhat hardness and not keep the heat in but feel comfortable? There are just so many options and I don't know which one to get and hate to drop a load of money on a mattress that I will hate after one nights sleep.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I don't like Tempur-Pedic "foam rubber" mattresses for the reason you stated. Instead, I want a regular firm or extra-firm interspring mattress but with a layer of memory foam in the top layer of the mattress. That's called a Euro-top or pillow-top mattress. The custom mattress makers will probably make you one, but if an ordinary 60x80 queen mattress will fit on your bedframe, then you can get one for a lot less money from a discount outfit such as SamsClub.com

That's what I did. Serta Euro-top firm mattress with multiple foam and other layers totaling about 2" thick on top of the springs. My exact mattress is no longer on the Sam's website, but the one in this link is very similar - except I think mine cost closer to $500.
SertaŽ Perfect SleeperŽ Edgebrooke Cushion Firm Eurotop Mattress - Queen - Sam's Club

Here's the details of the Eurotop layers, with cover and springs plus 10 layers of foam and other stuff, including one layer of memory foam.
SertaŽ Perfect SleeperŽ Edgebrooke Eurotop Mattress

$400 if you order it online, but that includes delivery to your house by a freight company, and they will haul off your old mattress if you don't want it. The truck driver and his swamper expect a tip, so plan on it. But only $350 if you go to the store with your membership card and pick it up yourself.

You can buy that same Serta mattress at any mattress store, but it will probably have a different name. And of course the mattress salesman will tell you that their version is much better and therefore costs twice as much as the one Sam's sells. If his mouth is moving, he's probably handing you a load of bullpukey.

We don't have Costco here yet, but they have similar deals on normal-size (not RV size) name-brand mattresses. Here's a Sealy Posture-Pedic ultra-firm with 3.5" of foam of various types - including a layer of memory foam - between the quilted top and the springs:
Birchmere Ultra Firm Queen Mattress

Yeah, that one costs more than the one from Sam's, but maybe a Posture-Pedic really is better than a Perfect Sleeper?

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Smokey I am a misplaced Texan as well due to the military. Our bed in our coach is a short queen and I see posts for a toppers that I think I am going to try first before we plop down a big wad for a innerspring. That is ultimately what I want but it will have to wait a bit. There are just so many options out there it isn't funny.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyzforme View Post
Smokey I am a misplaced Texan as well due to the military.
Yeah, I grew up in west Texas, graduated from college in Texas, but then I spent 12 years on active duty and another 19+ years working for the Air Force and DoD. Most of those 32 years I lived somewhere else, including Maine, Turkey, Nebraska and Colorado. But I returned to west Texas the day after I retired at age 55 plus one day. The only places I'd rather live are way too expensive for my retirement income. The beach near San Diego, any where on Maui.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Installed my topper last week. The only comment I have is don't plan to get it and use it that night.... Those things have a smell to them and the manufacturer tells you this. They need to air out for about 24 hours. I have not been back to the TT since install but hope to get my first sleep on her by the end of this month....Spring is a coming
Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #20

Thanks for the heads up on the odor. I've seen some advertised as odor-free but really hadn't realized it could be a problem. Did you get the short queen or did you have to cut it? The short queen mattress pad I ordered is perfect, but I'd still like to get a foam topper for the extra cushion. Guess if it has to air out, I'd better get serious about buying one.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello, I got the short queen topper and cover. No cutting or modification. I pray the odor thing is short lived. I will find out on Saturday!