Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #1

7165 miles in 65 days in a 35 yr old TT!

Just finished our first big TT trip. Bought a '78 22 ft Excel TT and did a rehab on it (paint, Dexter axle links, reseal the roof all outside molding, etc) and started out after a 700 mile shake down trip. Traveled from N Arizona to Kansas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Texas and back.
Put on new D rated Carlisle ST tires with a capacity of 22% more than we weigh. They still look new.
Pulled with a 2006 F150 5.4 Triton 3.73 posi rear axle, ave. 10.2 mpg.
Problems along the way:
1)Had to pull the black water shut off valve after I got a piece of paper lodged in it when I slide it shut. My fault for not flushing enough water when dumping.
2)Had the pilot lite gas line crack on the water heater. Used soft tubing and new crimp fittings to fix it. $7 and 1 hr work.
3)Lost a real good hubcap somewhere in Tennessee. If you see it let me know where:-)
Other than that, everything went as planned! Next trips will be much less miles per day than this one.
Used a wifi router/booster to bring the wifi signal inside the metal trailer walls. It worked great.
CG TV cable service was less than good stations most every time we had it.
All in all, "this old house" is ready to do it again just as soon as we can. Older TTs can be "fixed" to do as good if not better than new ones. It paid for itself on this trip vs hotel rooms 2X over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	may 3 2013 073.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	45179  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"""Used a wifi router/booster to bring the wifi signal inside the metal trailer walls. It worked great."""

What kind?

Sounds like a good trip and money well spent. I like it when a plan comes together.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Just finished our first big TT trip. Bought a '78 22 ft Excel TT and did a rehab on it (paint, Dexter axle links, reseal the roof all outside molding, etc) and started out after a 700 mile shake down trip. Traveled from N Arizona to Kansas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Texas and back.
Put on new D rated Carlisle ST tires with a capacity of 22% more than we weigh. They still look new.
Pulled with a 2006 F150 5.4 Triton 3.73 posi rear axle, ave. 10.2 mpg.
Problems along the way:
1)Had to pull the black water shut off valve after I got a piece of paper lodged in it when I slide it shut. My fault for not flushing enough water when dumping.
2)Had the pilot lite gas line crack on the water heater. Used soft tubing and new crimp fittings to fix it. $7 and 1 hr work.
3)Lost a real good hubcap somewhere in Tennessee. If you see it let me know where:-)
Other than that, everything went as planned! Next trips will be much less miles per day than this one.
Used a wifi router/booster to bring the wifi signal inside the metal trailer walls. It worked great.
CG TV cable service was less than good stations most every time we had it.
All in all, "this old house" is ready to do it again just as soon as we can. Older TTs can be "fixed" to do as good if not better than new ones. It paid for itself on this trip vs hotel rooms 2X over.
That camper looks great.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #4

Thanks Mossy cat It works great too!
Arch- I picked up a linksyswgr54g router from a guy on ebay that works as a signal booster/repeater. I put the router inside an overhead cabinet and mounted an antenna fitting going through the wall just above the door so I can mount one of the router antennas to it and a cable extension on the inside of the cabinet to the antenna connector that I take the outside antenna off of. It works good for about $70 I get 5 bars inside the the trailer when without it I get 2.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

Cool!!! So many people look at life as what can possibly go wrong and then never get any where, You on the other hand, just went and did it! I admire you. If you ever get up this way send me a PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On that router...does it just repeat all the signals it sees or do you have to tell it which one to repeat?
In other words how do you operate it?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #7

At each stop with CG wifi you plug in the router to 120v and then connect to it with your computer You then go to the admin pages of the router and tell it what wifi to hook up to, what the security is and the password if any. It then amplifies and repeats
that signal inside the metal walls of our TT.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pretty much the same as the Jefatech.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #9

Yup, about half the price though. Included two pics, one before I resealed the top molding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 012.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	45505   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 008.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	45506