Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

96 Coachmen Water Heater

Flame ignites water comes out lukewarm for a few seconds then goes cold. All valves going into water heater are open. I don't know what to do. Suggestions?
nate7vball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
does the water tank heat up completely use gas? and have you tried to heat the water using electric?
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #3

As far as i know gas only...im green its my first travel trailer and don't know much.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
How long is the water heater on?

It will take probably a good 15 minutes or longer for the water to heat up
Old 10-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

I let it run for an hour. I read something about a bypass could be on that lets cold water into warm line??? You would think if that was happening water would be Luke warm not cold. My only thought is that thermostat is bad and shutting flame off before water is really heated, but even then i would think water would be somewhat warm and its just not....its freezing cold.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate7vball View Post
I let it run for an hour. I read something about a bypass could be on that lets cold water into warm line??? You would think if that was happening water would be Luke warm not cold. My only thought is that thermostat is bad and shutting flame off before water is really heated, but even then i would think water would be somewhat warm and its just not....its freezing cold.
You said you let it run for an hour, can you hear it?

There is a bypass valve, that will NOT let any hot water through, in other words when you open your hot water facet, it will be cold..

If you water heater is actually heating the water, then it would be a bypass valve, usually located on the back side of the water heater, access is usually through a cabinet or drawer, mine I have to take the drawer out from under the stove, and the valve is right there.

I believe from what you are saying that the water heater is on.

While your in there checking the bypass valve, reach down and try to feel the water heater, it should be warm.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #7

There are 2 valves on the back of the water heater. One right in the middle and one at the bottom. I have them both open...it looked like one of them was for the cold water coming in and the other for the warm water going out. Ill see if i can take picture and show you.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #8

The more i think about it, it almost has to be a bypass valve. Yes i can see/hear the flame and it has to be heating the water. Do you think one of the valves on the back of my water ahould be closed? Im afraid ill close the wrong one and water won't get into my water heater and burn it up. In other words does the bypass valve need to be closed or open for the hot water to get to my faucet?
Old 10-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
i would check the "check valve" that keeps the water flowing in one direction.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #10

There should be another valve somewhere that affects the water flow to the heater. If you say the 2 valves you see are on the inlet and outlet lines to the heater--they both have to be open, or you are correct, water won't flow. Is there a cross line between the inlet/outlet lines? The bypass valve (if you have found it) should be closed for normal operation. If if is open, then the water is hot enough at first to keep the mix warm at the faucet, but soon, there isn't enough how water to counter the cold amount and you are getting cold only.
The bypass valve is there for winterizing the unit--if you want to use the winterizing system (this being a '96 model, may not be obvious, or original owner installed it later) for storage, the bypass has to be open AND the inlet/outlet need to be closed--just the opposite for normal use.
Try to trace the cold water line from tank/pump forward and see if you find a valve you can't figure out what it is there for...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, heat, heater, water, water heater