Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

A/C

Looking at TT and we like the 2016 Wind River 250rlsw and wondering what input the TT folks have on just the 1 ducted a/c to the bedroom on a hot 100+ degree day in ca. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Want to keep the Wife cool. Happy wife happy trails Thanks Jim oh yes I am a newbie to the forums so just learning the ropes..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #2

I live in AZ, so I know all about the heat. I too only have 1 port above our bedroom. I have not had any issues. The key is having enough time to cool the whole trailer down. Given enough time, the whole trailer will cool down and the vent above the bed will just blow on you while you sleep.

Check to see if you have a "quick cool" option on the AC. Mine has these louvers on the ceiling attached to the AC shroud that I can open/divert the AC to directly below the AC in the kitchen. This really cools most of my trailer fast, then I just direct the AC back to the ports on the ceiling.

Worst case, you can get a small fan to blow from the other areas (kitchen is probably next to your bedroom) into your bedroom. We have one we keep in the trailer for when it is not hot enough for the AC.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

Have a 2014 Creekside 26BKS and it is fine with one A/C. Do most of our camping in New Mexico and on really hot days it might take a little while to cool down after being on the road. After that just run on low in the evening. The extra insulation in those Outdoors RV's is good for summer too.

Like the previous poster said. A small fan on the kitchen counter may speed things up to the bedroom. I am planning to get one.
John
Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #4

A/C

Thanks for the feedback. The fan idea may work. We could set it on the kitchen counter and blow toward bedroom. Glad to hear the extra insulation helps. John just to ask are you happy with your Creekside?. Have you had any major problems with it. I ask because we have looked at numerous TT and most have complaints about leaks or just poor quality. I looked at a Rockwood that I like, has a little more counter space but have not shown it to the wife as I see more complaints. I do not see any major complaints with the Wind River. Again thanks for the input to all as we want to make the right choice. Jim
Old 05-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
See my video for ensuring your AC is optimized. I had several leaks in the main unit that prevented optimal cooling and circulation.

I have two video's in this thread. One is for the replacement of the A/C fan for a quieter one, the other is for the leak fix.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/outdo...-210755-4.html

I've had my trailer in above 100 degree weather for several days and the A/C kept up well in the bedroom. We keep the bedroom door opened so we get the benefit of the whole trailer A/C along with the one vent.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #6

Jim, I like this creekside a lot. It gets quite a bit of use. In addition to trips, it is kept at my home and doubles as an extra room. Our house is the family gathering place on holidays. Been slept in about 45 days in the 10 months we've had it.

Have had one problem. The convertor melted a wire on the 120v side. Best we can tell it was a loose connection at the buss bar.

Called Dave at outdoors rv and they sent out the parts needed. Repairs were not done at my purchasing dealer since I am 450 miles away. He told me I could take it wherever I wanted for warranty. No leaks.
John
Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #7

Totally agree with the other posters. We have a 35' with a single 15.5BTU AC. We live in South Texas where it frequently reaches 100. We also camp alot at the lake during the summer. Ours keeps up good enough to leave the dogs in the camper while we are on the lake. If there is shade it is even easier. We also have a small fan that i put on the floor at one end of the camper to stir things up. Definitely cools down at night.. We run the fan on high during the day and low at night.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #8

One thing i do wonder about is the new trailers that are darker colored. I saw several last weekend at our favorite campground that were dark that had two AC units. Mine is white aluminum. Does a darker exterior color correlate to more AC BTUs required? I would be interested in hearing from others on this as several of the newer trailers we are looking at are not light colored.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:29 PM   #9

A/C

Brian the Wind River we are looking at is now a grey color and that is one reason we are worried about having 1 A/C. With 2 A/C's I am told you need to upgrade to a 50 amp service. I think the sales person will tell us it will be fine with 1. Like one person said to much A/C is never a problem but not enough would be upsetting to me. Our older class c had a swamp cooler as I purchased it from a fellow that used it in Arizona and said it worked fine but we cooked using it in Ca. heat.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #10

We have a 35ft bunkhouse with one 15k AC and one duct in the bedroom. We have a small fan in the bedroom. I also will close both doors to the bedroom and close one duct in the bunkroom and in the bathroom. This causes more force through the one duct in the bedroom. Keeps us plenty cool in west TX