Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #1

A/C leaks when it rains heavy

Hello
I installed a new Coleman Mach 15 unit this past summer. Stayed in camper during a light to medium rainstorm and there were no leaks.New unit came with new seal.
I park my 86 Lynx Prowler at the hunting lease year 'round. Went there last week Nov 16 after 2 weeks of rainstorms, and the floor was wet and some boots were soaked as if I dunked them in a pool. The uppers (snakeboots) were also soaked.
I bought one of those ac shroud covers.

My Q. is will one of these covers prevent rain from getting in through a vent slot when its raining sideways?

Should rain have not gotten through in the 1st place??

Thanks and Happy TG!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #2

You may need to tighten the 4 bolts that hold the A/C down. Don't over due it though. Or the seal is bad. It shouldn't leak. The cover will not stop the rain if the seal is bad or need tightened.

69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

The a/c unit came with a new seal attached to the a/c. It had grey square indicators for tightening guides. I could tighten them up a tad bit more but I really don't think it will solve the issue. But I've been wrong before just like the song!
Old 11-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking1 View Post
Hello
I installed a new Coleman Mach 15 unit this past summer. Stayed in camper during a light to medium rainstorm and there were no leaks.
New unit came with new seal.
I park my 86 Lynx Prowler at the hunting lease year 'round.
Went there last week Nov 16 after 2 weeks of rainstorms, and the floor was wet and some boots were soaked as if I dunked them in a pool. The uppers (snakeboots) were also soaked.
I bought one of those ac shroud covers.
My Q. is will one of these covers prevent rain from getting in through a vent slot when its raining sideways?
Should rain have not gotten through in the 1st place??
Thanks and Happy TG!
Roadking1
An air conditioner cover will not prevent a A/C gasket leak.
But tightening the A/C mounting bolts to the INCH/pound torque specified in your A/C owners manual probably will.
I check my mounting bolts yearly and find they need to be re-torqued every year or two.
Mel
'96 Safari, mine since '01
Old 11-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

A/C leaks when it rains heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Roadking1
An air conditioner cover will not prevent a A/C gasket leak.
But tightening the A/C mounting bolts to the INCH/pound torque specified in your A/C owners manual probably will.
I check my mounting bolts yearly and find they need to be re-torqued every year or two.
Mel
'96 Safari, mine since '01

I never thought about even checking the bolts yearly that's a good thought will have to add it to my routine
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks