Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #1

A/C Unit in 1980 TT

I cannot figure out how to turn on my AC in my TT. Here is what I have to work with:

I have scoured the TT for controls, there IS a roof unit. I am wondering if 1) once I get the A/C functioning, will it be sufficient in the desert at 105' plus and 2) how the heck do I turn it on??
Thanks guys!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 01:02 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The A/C is controlled by the wall thermostat which must have 12 v DC power to operate. The 12 v is supplied by a house battery or a converter/charger that keeps battery charged and provides 12 v power for all needs when plugged in to shore power. The A/C also needs to be connected to shore power. Your first photo showed the return for the A/C, you should also have other louvered vents in the ceiling for the cold air to blow out. The outlet shouldn't be the only way to get power into the RV, it would require a cord with male prongs that would be live and very dangerous. There should be a place in a compartment or on the outside somewhere with a power cord or at least an outlet to plug in probably a 30 amp shore cord.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

I took it into the RV service dept today and I was told that there is indeed a roof unit but no controls, and it was never wired for controls. How on earth is that possible? They are charging $120 for control panel and $170 to put it in. And it is a big MAYBE on whether or not the A/C roof unit is functioning. They said they cannot tell unless it is wired up. I told them to go ahead and do it but....I'm wondering if there is a better way.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:16 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Perhaps a previous owner changed out the A/C and heat thermostat with a cheaper, heat only one. Of course the mystery is why there are no wires from the rooftop unit to the thermostat. Hope it works for you!!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #5

it is possible that as in the previous post the last owner changed out the thermostat. you can take the thermostat off the wall and see if there are extra wires not connected. that might be the AC, now, why not have controls? might be a bad unit and they didnt want or could afford to replace so they just changed out the old thermo.....