Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

A little confusion...

I am a little bit confused. (okay--a LOT bit confused) ...When I reserve a campsite and they ask for length, do they mean of just my TT or my whole rig?
My TT is only 28 ft long (including the tongue), but my truck is another 19. SO, when I make a reservation, am I reserving for 28 ft....or am I reserving for 47 ft.??
Most state parks dont accept 47 feet....so I am tending to think they want just the length of my trailer. And if so, do they want 26' (the length on my paperwork) or the 28' that includes the tongue?
Its all so confusing......

DreaminBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there. It becomes second nature soon enough.

I'd tell them your trailer is 28' plus you have a tow vehicle. You'll usually be disconnecting the tow vehicle and parking it in a spot which isn't necessarily directly in line with your trailer.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #3

Trailer length
Old 02-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #4

Thanks so much! I KNEW I was over-thinking. When we had just a pop-up my standard reply to that was "20 ft", just because I didnt know what exactly it meant, but I was REALLY sure my pop-up would fit anywhere!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

If you don't have slides, always lie and say you do. Otherwise you can end up in a spot where you can't get anything open on the street side and may just barely have room to open your entry door.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #6

There's always somebody with a different answer . We have a 29 ft. motorhome and a 23 ft. car trailer, and I always specify 52 ft. total length. I only agree to a shorter site if it's the only thing available and we don't want to go to another campground. During a 6800 mile trip last year, I only had to unhook once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hang in there. It becomes second nature soon enough.

I'd tell them your trailer is 28' plus you have a tow vehicle. You'll usually be disconnecting the tow vehicle and parking it in a spot which isn't necessarily directly in line with your trailer.

Rick
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, trailer length..

For many state parks we use (Ohio & PA.) if you use their online reservation system and punch in say 35' (length of your RV) and they have the site only listed as a 30' site, it will not show up as a "available" site. It becomes a problem when they ( state parks) don't have a site listed correctly. For the most part I know every camp site at the parks we go to. So even thou I have a 25' tt I'll punch up 15' tt so the site I'm trying to reserve is now available to reserve.

Now if your reserving at a park you have never been to, you will have to trust what the website says, or what the person on the phone says a site will fit. In the past I have asked the park office personal for a good site for a 25' tt. I have been burned a few times. So now I'll do a Goggle Earth view to if I can determinate if I can fit.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
There's always somebody with a different answer . We have a 29 ft. motorhome and a 23 ft. car trailer, and I always specify 52 ft. total length. I only agree to a shorter site if it's the only thing available and we don't want to go to another campground. During a 6800 mile trip last year, I only had to unhook once.
I hear ya.

With our Ford Explorer behind our 40DP we're pushing 60' and I too will specify the length of pull through I need if that's what I want that particular evening.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Yes, trailer length..

For many state parks we use (Ohio & PA.) if you use their online reservation system and punch in say 35' (length of your RV) and they have the site only listed as a 30' site, it will not show up as a "available" site. It becomes a problem when they ( state parks) don't have a site listed correctly. For the most part I know every camp site at the parks we go to. So even thou I have a 25' tt I'll punch up 15' tt so the site I'm trying to reserve is now available to reserve.

Now if your reserving at a park you have never been to, you will have to trust what the website says, or what the person on the phone says a site will fit. In the past I have asked the park office personal for a good site for a 25' tt. I have been burned a few times. So now I'll do a Goggle Earth view to if I can determinate if I can fit.
I reserved a site at a PA state park that was to have a 40" depth. Well it did, but the trailer would have to bent to fit the boomerang shape. It took some pruning to get it in there.
Google Earth is a great suggestion, I've used it and has been a help. Trees can hide the details so it won't work every time.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #10

CGs are asking for the length of your RV. They do not want to rent you a space for 30' and you show up with a 45'. and have 15' sticking out into the road. There is almost always room for tow vehicle/toad. However, give them your total length. It helps them decide where to put you.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #11

I don't know guys. Maybe the tight spaces are an issue at popular KOAs, but I find the state parks' smaller spaces are plenty long and generally nicer than the big back-ins and certainly better than the pull throughs. Especially when going for a water-front spot in the summer.

That's if small back-ins are an option.
My TT says 2301 on the side, so I say 23' which gets me into spaces designated for "up-to 25 foot". I know full well the trailer is 27'+ bumper to hitch... not counting the Tow vehicle.

Never had a problem.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Google Earth is a great suggestion, I've used it and has been a help. Trees can hide the details so it won't work every time.
YES!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #13

Thanks so much for all the info!! I have decided the smart thing to do is book a little longer site when booking online--AFTER I give a couple sites a look on GoogleEarth. And if I book by phone, I will explain exactly what I have and go from there.
Thank you Oh Wise Ones....I'm so glad I have this site for info like this!!!