Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #1

A Twisted Road to this Forum

We have been in an agonizingly long search for the type of RV that would work for us. (Our RV experience is car camping when I was much younger and we sailed our 23' sailboat for 7 years on Lake Superior). Our search started with very old and used Class A MHs, then to just old and used Class B MHs to ... let's just give up. Then we started the search again and family health problems caused us to surrender once again. Now we are back in the search and we have finally made one important decision, which is we will be most happy as a TT RVer.

I have read 100's of posts in this forum in the last 3-4 months, which have been immensely helpful. We believe we have narrowed our search down to an Outdoors Creek Side 22RB or an Arctic Fox 22H. The 3rd option could be a Nash 22H. Unfortunately, we live more than 800 miles from the nearest dealers who sale either of these TTs. So we haven't actually seen one.

Am I more or less correct when I tell my DW that these two (2) TT companies are about the same quality? After this long twisted road, we'd like to make an informed decision and we need the help of this TT Forum.

Thank so much for any guidance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #2

Traxless, I'm sure your query will get lots of replies, and from people more experienced. We own the lesser model to the Creekside, a Black Rock 19B. While we've only just recently been out in it, after owning already for a year, we are pretty happy with our choice. Can't comment to the Arctic Fox, other than they seem to have a very good reputation, and a similar build.

We previously had a very happy ownership experience with a 2006 Fleetwood Pioneer (so if any reader happened to buy the one I traded late last year from O'Connors in Chilliwack, you've got a goodie!), which we traded for the more suitable floor plan of the Black Rock. In every quality respect, the BR is light years ahead of the Fleetwood. Better chassis, frame, and construction. Even if it turns out to develop some significant problems, it will be worth the effort to fix and maintain. I believe Outdoors RV products will endure better than many competitors.

It's hard to imagine you'll go wrong with either choice. Just be aware that although the factory folks are helpful when you get hold them, I've yet to receive a response from any email I've sent to them. Better to pick up the phone!

Please do post once you decide, and had a chance to try it out!

Nick B

Old 11-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is much info on these Mfg's on their websuites. Another place to check is on U tube. A shorter TT will allow you to fit into more camp grounds as I am finding out. Both of these Mfg's have factory tours and are only a few miles from each other. These TT's are well built, but there is no such thing as a perfect TT unless you make it that way. While the ones you are looking at are 1/2 ton towable, I would suggest a 3/4 ton and you'll be set for trips anywhere.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
While the ones you are looking at are 1/2 ton towable, I would suggest a 3/4 ton and you'll be set for trips anywhere.
We have a 2004 Ford F150 CrewCab with the heavy duty tow package (oil cooler, frame mounted hitch with receiver), 5.4L engine and is rated to pull just over 8000 lbs. The Creekside 22RG has a Max. Trailer Weight of 6,300 lbs. (dry weight of 5,050 lbs.) Are you thinking that my truck is not up to the task, which would certainly stop this search dead in it's tracks.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #5

Your truck will be fine for that size trailer. Enjoy!

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
Old 11-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your TT choice will be well suited for that truck. That truck is set up to tow. As you can see I "go big" with my truck and long trips are no problem because of it. That truck will pull that TT anywhere you want to go. 800 miles from the nearest dealer? look on RV trader, you might find a almost new one closer to look at.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #7

Have you considered the Jayco Jay Flight 22RB? Two year warrantee, good dealer network? We were quite happy with the quality of our 26BH.
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
We believe we have narrowed our search down to an Outdoors Creek Side 22RB or an Arctic Fox 22H. The 3rd option could be a Nash 22H.

Am I more or less correct when I tell my DW that these two (2) TT companies are about the same quality? After this long twisted road, we'd like to make an informed decision and we need the help of this TT Forum.

Thank so much for any guidance.
Traxless,

We have owned two Arctic Foxes (a 2002 22G and a 2010 25R) and our current Wind River (an OutdoorsRV model). We were extremely happy with the two AFs and now with the WR.

The two companies are essentially one. They have the same ownership and same CEO. They use many (most?) of the same components and suppliers. They have separate factories a few miles apart in LaGrande, OR.

You can't go wrong with either company.

If you have any specific questions, please ask away!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #9

We camped 2 weeks ago with friends who have an Arctic Fox 22G. We have a Nash 24M. The AF is more expensive for a reason. The cabinets are sturdier. The table & counter top are upgraded as is the stereo system. The Nash is touted as having an off-road chassis, which was appealing to us as we plan to boondock a lot. Bottom line for us was that we bought the floor plan we liked at a price we could afford. It's worked out perfectly for us.
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Any camp grounds close by that you can drive through and talk to owners of the models you would like to know more about? You might even get invited inside to see one. However it might be a little late in the year in your part of the country to do that.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum