Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was hesitant to post this but it is just to funny to let it go
Monday I thought i would be a good day to go ahead and change teh oil out in the genny, she was at 20 hrs and ready to go.
so off i go open up the cover, flipp both breakers to "OFF" (this is important for later, mind you OFF and ON are pretty small text on the breakers)
drain the oil, pop the filter, put on a new one and refill the crankcase, wow i thought not bad for 20 mins.
So i engage the start switch and let her run for a few minutes checking for leaks and such. shut her down and let her sit a few more minutes to clean up the little mess i made.
all done i recheck the levels and call it good.
I then cloes up the genny and go about my business of loggin it and getting a drink.

Well yesterday we had some odd power shifts going on, and i was tired of loosing the news, so i cranked up the genny from inside, stood there watching the power panel waiting for the familiar "clunk" indicating the transfer happened to generator power. well i wait and wait and wait some more no shift over. so i shut her down and proceeded out side to look her over. i popped the cover and checked the oil level (just incase) looked right at the two circuit breakers in the "OFF" position cycled them as if they were "ON" and put them right back to "OFF", closed up the genny and went inside, started her back up and waited, again nothing, now i was getting concerned
so i shut down again and go back outside, this time its sprinkling, i pop the cover and low and behold both breakers are in the "OFF" position, I let out a huge WOW ! DA and laughed as i put them in the "ON" position
went back inside fired her up and geuss what????? we had ac power
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was hesitant to post this but it is just to funny to let it go
Monday I thought i would be a good day to go ahead and change teh oil out in the genny, she was at 20 hrs and ready to go.
so off i go open up the cover, flipp both breakers to "OFF" (this is important for later, mind you OFF and ON are pretty small text on the breakers)
drain the oil, pop the filter, put on a new one and refill the crankcase, wow i thought not bad for 20 mins.
So i engage the start switch and let her run for a few minutes checking for leaks and such. shut her down and let her sit a few more minutes to clean up the little mess i made.
all done i recheck the levels and call it good.
I then cloes up the genny and go about my business of loggin it and getting a drink.

Well yesterday we had some odd power shifts going on, and i was tired of loosing the news, so i cranked up the genny from inside, stood there watching the power panel waiting for the familiar "clunk" indicating the transfer happened to generator power. well i wait and wait and wait some more no shift over. so i shut her down and proceeded out side to look her over. i popped the cover and checked the oil level (just incase) looked right at the two circuit breakers in the "OFF" position cycled them as if they were "ON" and put them right back to "OFF", closed up the genny and went inside, started her back up and waited, again nothing, now i was getting concerned
so i shut down again and go back outside, this time its sprinkling, i pop the cover and low and behold both breakers are in the "OFF" position, I let out a huge WOW ! DA and laughed as i put them in the "ON" position
went back inside fired her up and geuss what????? we had ac power
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides

Old 08-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #3

Well at least your mistake didn't cost you anything...
My forgetfullness did. We were camping at Lake Griffin SP in Florida when I decided to just check the oil level in the genny. I opened the compartment door, it swung up out of the way. Then I grabbed the Onan genny side cover panel, pulled and removed it, then carefully set it on it's edge under the end of the picnic table, out of the way. -So I check the oil and it's OK, then clean up the genny a bit with a towel, make sure oil fill cap is fully seated, reach up and close the compartment door.
The next day we headed back to Ohio. Somewhere in South Carolina I remembered setting that genny panel underneath the picnic table! That was a $100.00 mistake.
I called the park; -"no sir, no one turned in a cover and no sir, we inspect every site for things like that when the camper leaves..." So I had to order a new panel from Onan.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #4

according to your last two sentences, you still have no power, and the breakers are on?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
according to your last two sentences, you still have no power, and the breakers are on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry bout teh confusion, once i flipped back to ON i restarted teh genny and got full power