Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
Just watch AAA, it is my understanding that in New England they will not tow your trailer or fifth wheel. Just the info I was given. I personally have Good Sam Platnium $109.95

Good Sam Haulin Highlanders
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:37 AM   #16
I used to be on the Canadian Version (CAA). Main point being the "used to be". The main factor is whether or not they can deal with your problem. What I discovered is that they find a way to provide the minimum service.

The stories(there are more than one)- but the one that lost the business - lift pump goes FHHHHBBTTT and truck rolls to a powerless stop- Dec 29/06. Temp well below freezing. cell phone produces the call center and they confirm where we are. First truck shows up - driver not willing to hook up as the F350 is only about the same size as my Ram. He calls for the Hino tilt deck. Still below freezing. Tilt deck eventually shows up, no room for wife and kids to get warm, let alone ride along - tow driver did not want to cram the cab to fit people in - so, back to the cell and ask CAA what they do about people - response - we are responsible for the vehicle.

so, get a local cab company number from the truck driver, and he gets his dispatcher to send a taxi out. Wife and kids get ride to truck stop down the road. Get back on the phone with CAA and ask about the rental car option that we have paid soo much for, only to be told that its with XYZ rental car co, and they don't have an office nearby, so I would have to make my way to the major city - further away than the garage for the truck, to get the provided rental, then drive back to pick up wife and kids.

I managed to talk the driver into shuttling me where I needed to go before dropping the truck off, so he could bill the miles to CAA, got the free rental econobox, then tried to see if it could shave some time off the 90 minute drive back to where the wife and kids were.

needless to say, their lack of effort to provide the safety of people bothered me, I filed a complaint and started asking some pointed questions(not the first time I had done this with them), and they then directed me to some of the fine print which stated that they were only required to provide the service thats available in the area that we had required service. I disagreed, but they stated that they decide who is acceptable to provide service to thier standards, if there is no service provide that meets their standards(cheap rates), then that is considered a service they cannot be responsible to provide.

so, long winded reply, but I did not renew that year. I went the 07 RV season without ERS, and luckily did not need it, but I don't like travellng without it. I am looking at the different ones, and talking to as many people as I can about what they have, and the problems they may have had with it.

06 Wilderness 2952BS

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
While AAA RV Plus may work well -- when it works -- the problem is that all areas of the country don't offer this coverage. Thus, if you have a breakdown in an area of the country that's not covered, you'd be SOL. While you may be able to get AAA to reimburse you for expenses, why go to all that hassle and trouble when the RV-specific ERS services (Good Sam or clone from Camping World, or Coach-Net) is available all over the country, doesn't have a mileage limit on towing, and is a "sign and drive" service (i.e., no $$$ out of your pocket).
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #18
Broke down east of Sacramento some years back (thats some busy freeway) anyway chip cop came along and told us we couldn't park there told him we had broke down still said we couldn't park there and left witout calling for a tow truck, (didn't like Canadians I guess)another guy pulled over and was nice enough to call AAA (we had CAA) tow truck driver unhooked the drive shaft on the bronco and toweed the car and the trailer to a campground then towed the car to the dealer still under warranty so the tow was covered under the ford 3 year road service, they even gave me a recipt for the tow and told me to collect from CAA, so free tow plus re-embursed for the free tow.

2007.5 LMM GMC 3500 SLT 4X4 HD LB Duramax 6.6 Turbo Diesel Dually

Hijacker 4 Way Pivot, Integrated controler, 2004 Prowler Regal Advantage AX6 36.5 FLTS
charlan is offline   Reply With Quote