Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
AAA vs Good Sam

My AAA road policy is about to run out and I am looking at changing to the Good Sam roadside insurance. Has anyone had any experience with the Good Sam roadside insurance?

ezspdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guess you mean GS roadside ASSISTANCE ?? We have used them once. Worked out OK. A lot depends on if you need help on weekends, holidays, etc. Some folks prefer CoachNet. Also visit RV and look at their GSRA thread.

2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
After about 10 years, I dumped GS for AAA. GS was way too slow on the few times I was stranded on the highway. Turned out they were bickering with the tow company about their rates while I waited.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
Unless AAA has recently changed their policy, they will not change an inside dual. And in some area's will not service what they consider a large truck. (AKA motor home)
It seems to make a difference to them as to what area you are in at the time of your breakdown as to what kind of service, if any, you get. Check closely with AAA before you sign up with them. Great for a car or small pickup though.
R & E
No RV at the moment
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Sam ERS is ran by Allstate road service. No problems with service.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #6

We have had several friends who had terrible service with Good Sam. They have since switched to Coach Net.
Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I've only had a few occasions to use GS. All with good success.
I switched from AAA for one main reason. Cost.
GS covers all my vehicles with any family member in any vehicle. AAA only covered me and the vehicle I registered. My wife was extra for an added membership. Daughter is too young to drive yet.
I saved more than $75.00
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
Any response for roadside assistance is dependent upon the local businesses that sign-up with GS, AAA, All State etc. And, if you call when there is a storm or other local "event", you know the response time will be longer. My son told me that AAA calls can take priority because their compensation to the local tow/service business is better, but I can't verify that. So, I've stayed with GS because of the low rates....much cheaper than AAA plan that covers travel trailers. Their plans may be different now, but when I was a AAA member, you had to pay for a higher level of service to get tow service for a trailer or RV.

I think I've only called for assistance once and service was fine. But one experience doesn't serve as any basis for an endorsement.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CoachNet = RV

AAA = Car
Happy Daze! Andy, Carol & our adopted Maltese "son", Eli
'99 Tropi-Cal on a '98 Ford F3 chassis

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
To my understanding, AAA has "zones", each set their own rules and policies for coverage. Lots of folks like to deride anything connected with Affinity Group, we have had good reliable service from Good Sam Emergency Road Service for 17 years now. Some of the responders are signed with GS and Coach-net and other ERS providers at the same time. I've asked responders, they answered.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Thor Owners Club
We switched to GS as well.....all the vehicles are covered and AAA or its affiliates have some odd towing policies.....Our basic AAA coverage had a one tow policy per year with a maximum mileage which surprised me when I had my car towed. Haven't use GS yet....but relieved I have it.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I had Good Sam ERS for many years and was happy with them until one time a wrecker driver damaged my motorhome and GS wouldn't stand behind me. I switched to AAA and they worked great for my class C. This year on Easter Sunday I had a tire problem. The first truck AAA sent out could not change my 19.5" tire. I told them that Walmart (I pulled in their parking lot) gave me the name of a local repairman who could change it. AAA offered me the option to use them and pay then get reimbursed or they would keep trying until they found someone to help me. I decided to let AAA find someone and they did. They kept trying until I was satisfied and that counts for a lot in my book. By the way, they cover all vehicles in my family. I have AAA plus RV.
Barbara Spade
Jaymie (Sheltie/Pom) and Luke (Sheltie/mix)
35' Sea View (Class A) MH & Honda CR-V toad.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
We have GS now after AAA left us on the side of I-15 for over 5 hours while they decided whether we were in their No Cal/Nev or So Cal "service" area.

Now I only keep our AAA membership for maps and tour books.
Fred & Mary RVM135
2012 Dutch Star 3735 ISL 400
2012 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 4x4
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have Coach-Net. Have used it twice, first time it took so long I found another service person. This was at the GS Phoenix rally in 2012.
The second time was in front of my home. They called around and found that the local Freightliner shop could take me right in. Towed me there and the shop then told us it's be at least 6 days before they could even look at it! Tow operator then got on line with Coach-Net and got authorization to tow to another shop, closer to home. Was out of there just after midnight. Bill was over $700 for the tow and all I did was sign the receipt. New starter was just over $1,000 though! And it was what caused both breakdowns.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote