Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #1

Hello everyone!

Me and my wife are about to purchase our first TT.

We are strongly looking @ a Forrest River Wildwood 26fks. We love the floorplan and the price seems right. We do not want to spend more than 18K. We live in Southern California and plan to camp along the beach as well as in the Eastern Sierra's. We also love to tailgate during Charger games!!

Before we buy I thought it might be good to look for advice from people that have experience. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Does Forrest River make a quality Rv?
What other brands might we look at?
Does anyone know a good dealer in the Temecula, Ca. area??

We will be towing with our 2007 Ford Expedition 4x4.

Thanks in advance!!

2009 Forrest River Wildwood 26fks
TimD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #2

Hello everyone!

Me and my wife are about to purchase our first TT.

We are strongly looking @ a Forrest River Wildwood 26fks. We love the floorplan and the price seems right. We do not want to spend more than 18K. We live in Southern California and plan to camp along the beach as well as in the Eastern Sierra's. We also love to tailgate during Charger games!!

Before we buy I thought it might be good to look for advice from people that have experience. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Does Forrest River make a quality Rv?
What other brands might we look at?
Does anyone know a good dealer in the Temecula, Ca. area??

We will be towing with our 2007 Ford Expedition 4x4.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tim:
First Welcome to irv2, you've come to the right place to seek answers on your purchase. We purchased a new Coachmen 288FKS in June of this year and absolutly Love it. We just recieved information that Coachmen has sold the RV operations to Forest River, the Coachmen name will remain just manufactured by Forest River. They have a very good reputation on their units, some minor problems, your selling dealer should be able to correct if you have some. Sorry we can't give you any information on dealers in your area since we're from Texas. Good hunting on your purchase and enjoy your new unit, be sure to keep us informed of your decision and post pictures. Again Welcome to irv2, glad to have you.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I looked at the specs for a Wildwood T26FKS on Forest River's website. Assuming I have the right TT, In my opinion, a 980 lb hitch weight, dry weight of 6,340 lb, and a GVWR 11,000 lb will be beyond the capabilities of an Expedition. I have a Ford F-250 and the maximum weight I can tow is 10,000. I would seriously recommend towing this with nothing less than 3/4 ton.

Please, Please, Please, if you haven't done so already, review the towing capacities of your Expedition. While it's unlikely that you'll ever near the GVWR of the TT, by the time you load into it about another 1,000 lb of furnishings, food, clothes, etc. (for starters), I think you will be close (if not over) to the limits of an Expedition.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank P. Martin:
I looked at the specs for a Wildwood T26FKS on Forest River's website. Assuming I have the right TT, In my opinion, a 980 lb hitch weight, dry weight of 6,340 lb, and a GVWR 11,000 lb will be beyond the capabilities of an Expedition. I have a Ford F-250 and the maximum weight I can tow is 10,000. I would seriously recommend towing this with nothing less than 3/4 ton.

Please, Please, Please, if you haven't done so already, review the towing capacities of your Expedition. While it's unlikely that you'll ever near the GVWR of the TT, by the time you load into it about another 1,000 lb of furnishings, food, clothes, etc. (for starters), I think you will be close (if not over) to the limits of an Expedition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Frank...

According to the salesperson he told me I would be fine towing with my Expedition.

I will look into this more...

Thanks again.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #6

Thank you Frank...

According to the salesperson he told me I would be fine towing with my Expedition.

I will look into this more...

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

----------------------------------------

Do remember that the salespersons only purpose in life is to sell to you the most expensive unit he can. To do that he will tell you anything.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #7

After further research it looks like this TT is to heavy for my expedition

I will not be trading in my SUV for a truck anytime soon.

Does anyone have any good ideas for a light weight TT??

Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #8

Generally speaking, Forest River makes some pretty good trailers and motor homes. So I would not be afraid of them at all. Now, as far as lighter trailers, first I would suggest a shorter length, barring that look at the ForestRiverInc.com web site and do your home work. I know they make some light weight trailers, and you should be able to find just the perfect rig for your SUV.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #9

OK - I would find another dealer. I have owned five brands of campers (never the same brand twice) and they all have their issues, but the DEALER makes all of the difference in the world. Find another dealer - one who has your safety and the safety of everyone else on the road in mind. I would not buy anything from someone who tried to sell me a trailer too heavy for my tow vehicle. TRUST is a must when you are throwing that much money at something that is almost 100% certain to have issues regardless of brand.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tim, the FIRST Rule in RV (and truck) shopping is NEVER believe the sales person.

The SECOND Rule is Sales people lie.

Their job is to sell you the largest thing they can and not educate you on towing. There are a few honest dealers and sales people out there, but I feel the dishonest are the majority by a large margin.

Check out THIS SITE. He has a lot of good information on what you can and can not tow.

Ken
Old 11-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">According to the salesperson he told me I would be fine towing with my Expedition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, don't believe the sales person. Look up the hitch weight and gross combined weight rating of your tow vehicle. Weigh the tow vehicle loaded as you would for a trip, and subtract that from the gross combined rating.

Don't put too much faith in an RV's listed dry weight. It is usually a weight with no options (like air conditioner and what not) and is likely not very realistic even at that.

Anyhow, I'd bet you can find an RV your rig can tow that you would enjoy. I'd suggest going to a big RV show, and bring your digital camera. Start shots of each unit that catches your eye with a photo of the plackard that shows what brand/model it is, as they will run together.

Also, unless money is no object, I'd suggest using the RV show to find models/floorplans you like, and then searching for a used one.

RV's loose value pretty quickly, and almost everyone I know learned from their first RV what features they really want... If you buy new, and a year later decide you want something different, you would really loose your shirt.

Anyway, good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
It's not so much that RV salespeople are dishonest (although some are), more than it is that they don't know anything about the product they are selling and certainly know nothing about the weight issues. I doubt that many of them have actually ever RV'd...the only time most of them have ever spent in an RV is when they go into one on the lot, so please don't consider a salesperson an expert on the subject!

Like many things in life, you need to educate yourself on what the correct answer is before you ever ask the question!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #13

First. Thanks to everyone for the advise.

Update on our progress. I went back to several dealers now knowing the correct towing capacity of my expedition. I was amazed how they all tried to talk me into something heavier than I can tow. Even after I explained to them what I require. Most truly do not care about the buyers safety.

On another note, after all this I come home and find out that I inherited a Ford-250 V-10 with the towing package!!! I now have a true 3/4 ton truck to pull with so weight will not be a option.

Now I have a lot more options! I will let everyone know which one we choose!!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now on the F250, depending on how much you want to tow, you should have a 4.10 or 4.30 rear axle. The 3.73 is better on fuel economy, but is limited in it's towing ability. See what the axle code (sticker on drivers door post) reads. I do not have access tot he codes and which axles they apply to.

Most of the sales people in the dealerships think towing amounts to taking the bass boat with a cooler of beer up to the lake. Towing a big box behind the vehicle is a bit different.....

What year is the F250? The 6.8L V-10 is a strong engine, but sure does like to visit a lot of fuel stops.

Ken