Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
ABS Pipe Connection to grey water holding tank

I have at 2007 Thor TT and the black ABS Pipe is cracked and leaking at the joint. I want to replace the pipe but not sure how it is attached to the grey holding tank.

AtlCrumplr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #2
Welcome to the forum!

Normally the outlets are formed and heat fused at manufacturing. If there is not enough stem/pipe sticking out to attach a repair pipe or flex fitting to, you'll most likely need to get a new tank installed.
I would not trust any glued repair to this joint to hold up over time. Vibration will cause it to fail at some point.

Eclipse Attitude 27SA
Lov'n retirement in my toy hauler!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
There should be ABS repair kits to handle this--check with HD/Lowes, or a plumber. Lots of ways to do this that won't require taking the tank out. if done with care, should last quite a while.
Is it the pipe itself, or the joint/connection to the tank? At the least, I would get some ABS cement and try that first for a temp solution.
Any idea why the crack? If there is too much weight on it, then it will happen again--need to check the support system.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
The pipe was damaged when I backed up and hit a stump and it broke the pipe. The connection to the tank is good but coming out is a 90 and the pipe broke at the 90 going to the 1 1/2" waste line.
AtlCrumplr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mine is a different brand trailer but it is attached with non-hardening putty tape and a hose clamp. It is easily removed from the tank with a screw driver and a bit of heat to warm up the plumbers putty tape. Others may vary of course but if it is like mine, piece of cake.
TV: 2012 Ford F350 CC 6.7L 4x4
TT: 2014 Wind River 250RDSW [Dual Crown 6v, Trimetric, Iota 15.4v 55A charger]
dagmandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
At any big box hdw store you can get DWV fittings. This is what your rv drains are plumbed with. You'll see several type of "pvc" glue. Read the label and get the one for DWV. As long as there is a stub left you can cut it and add onto it and go from there. Remember to test fit everything before glueing and to allow space to put all the fittings together. With both ends of the plumbing fixed, that can be a challenge sometimes. I had a crack in my black tank. I did some looking as to what glue or patch system is compatible with ABS. JB Weld is on this list. Been there for years and never failed yet. If it's not too bad and just a crack, that's exactly what I would do (actually did)
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
After doing a lot of major reconstruction of the abs black tank fittings on or first fix her upper TT. If it's just a crack, you may try cleaning it very well and just coating it with ABS Cement, which is basically just a solvent the melts the plastic, it may form back together. If it does not work, you have lost nothing, as far as another approach to the repair.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #8
Excel Owners Club
I've repaired a couple of holding tanks with a repair kit from www.plasti-mend.com/ called Plasti-Mend ABS Plastic Repair Kit for ABS Plastic Holding Tank Repair. The kit includes and sheet of ABS, a piece of repair cloth, cleaner, glue, brushes and scratch pad. With it you can repair most tank problems making the repair as strong as the original. Make sure you read and follow the instructions.

Another low cost option is make your own ABS "glue" to build-up layers over the crack. Cut up some ABS plastic into small bits and dissolve this in a little aceton producing a thick glue. Applied in layers it will be quite strong.

Many holding tanks come poorly supported. There are multiple threads on iRV2 about adding holding tank straps. This won't help when the tank was backed into something.

Fred & Denise
Santa Fe, NM
2007 Excel Classic 30RSO 2007 RAM 3500, Diesel, 6Spd Auto, SWD, 4x4, CC & LB
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

abs, tank, water