Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibre View Post
Good question. Reading this thread A/C: Ducted or non-ducted
from 2014 it could be problematic on a 30 amp system. Possible, but taxing on the electrical system. We're planning to go look at some trailers in a couple of weeks, so I will ask then. Luckily, we are still in the preliminary stages. Deciding the size we want then getting tow vehicle then the actual trailer.

If it wasn't for this forum I would probably have ended up pulling a too long, one AC trailer with a short-bed, crew-cab half-ton.
I have a one-AC trailer that's 27' box (30'6" overall) that I pull with a half ton crew cab short bed. Works great for us, but we aren't even remotely interested in pulling a camper somewhere that's blazing hot in the summer time. For instance, we are going to Palo Duro Canyon next year, but we are going during spring break. Need to plan a trip to the Grand Canyon in the spring or fall also. Even if the camper could handle it, it would be a miserable trip to go either of those places during the summer heat.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #16

With a 30 or 32 ft trailer a second AC should be an option, no more than $1500. You can buy and install one yourself for less than $700.

We live just south of Dallas and have a 31 foot motorhome, there is no way I would have only one AC. Might as well just leave the door open!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
I have a one-AC trailer that's 27' box (30'6" overall) that I pull with a half ton crew cab short bed. Works great for us, but we aren't even remotely interested in pulling a camper somewhere that's blazing hot in the summer time. For instance, we are going to Palo Duro Canyon next year, but we are going during spring break. Need to plan a trip to the Grand Canyon in the spring or fall also. Even if the camper could handle it, it would be a miserable trip to go either of those places during the summer heat.
Half ton would definitely be my preference, I like the idea of still being able to park it in the garage. I was concerned that I would be too close to my payload capacity and that sway would be a problem with trailers in the 30-32 ft range. I also would like to have the option of someday towing a boat behind the trailer, even though I probably never will.
calibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Half ton would definitely be my preference, I like the idea of still being able to park it in the garage. I was concerned that I would be too close to my payload capacity and that sway would be a problem with trailers in the 30-32 ft range. I also would like to have the option of someday towing a boat behind the trailer, even though I probably never will.
Are you talking total length or box length? Today's half tons are towing machines compared to the past, if you're willing to slow down on long grades and go 65-70 mph on flat highway. If you want to drive 80 mph all the time, then yeah you're going to need a 3/4 ton or 1-ton to do that.

GM with the max trailer package, Ram Hemi with good gears, Ford 5.0 or Ecoboost with good gears, or a Tundra 5.7L can all tow 10k+. My Ram Ecodiesel is only rated for 8k lbs, but it still tows my 6k lbs trailer just fine as long as I am reasonable about speeds.

Now if you're looking for a 31' box trailer that's 34' long total, I probably wouldn't put that behind any half ton short bed. That's a lot of trailer.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #19

It's not only Texas- at least there is a dry heat- here in the south east, we have to deal with 90°F+ and 80% humidity for 3 months.
regardless- you can order the unit with 2 AC. it will take a month or two till delivery, but it's possible and worth it. I wish I would have 2, but I do have little to no trust into technicians nowadays and would not chose the option to install a second one afterwards. I'd rather sweat. and that means a lot!
There are Campers out there- mostly you can find them by checking the sticker- if it's a 50A, it has very likely 2 AC.
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just to echo what others have said, absolutely NOT. My bus is HEAVILY insulated, windows, shades, etc.. etc... I can keep it at 72 inside when it's 100 outside but with one A/C there is just too much airspace to do anything (basically one drops it 10 degrees the other drops it an additional 20 degrees).

Something else that will make a HUGE difference is external window shades. Not sure if they offer these on TT/FW but if they do and are somewhat inexpensive they make a huge difference. I'm not sure what they are called..they are basically "mini awnings" for the windows.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #21

Quote:
We are looking to buy a TT later this year or early next year. We're interested in the Wildwood 28DBUD and the Cherokee 264CK. They are 30 and 32 ft long, each with a single ducted AC unit. We will be camping in the Central Texas area and I'm wondering if the single unit will be enough in the middle of summer. Both are 30 amp and neither has a vent in the master bedroom area, so I don't know how easy it would be to add a second unit if needed. Thanks.
Two for sure, but don't buy a Heartland product, many a/c issues.
tripleoakstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #22

Easy to add second A/C on a 30 amp trailer, even if it wasn't prewired for one.....add a second plug on side of trailer and run off a 15/20 amp pedestal plug.....Colman makes a low profile unit and a non ducted ceiling unit.....my trailer is ducted, but stays cooler using the quick dump feature
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe you can find a good high quality used one for less than the new ones you're looking for. No way you want one AC if you're camping at the locations you listed. I camped 4 days at a race in San Angelo last month. I was comfortable but it took all 3 ACs. I ran the generator 96 hours straight.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here in south Texas I stay quite comfortably cool (and then some) with my 13.5 Coleman supplemented with a cooler similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UHXR1Y...a-275517497481

Granted my RV is smaller than most but here we have 3 numbers in the temp and I face north where I usually park so I am broadsided with sun all afternoon. I work nights (for 19 more months and counting) so I'm sleeping during the hottest hours. Never know how blazing hot it is outside.
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #25

Thanks for all the input. I think I wlll be able to find one that is at least prepped for a second unit and still in our price range.
calibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #26

Just ask for 50a units, even if it comes only with one AC, having 50a means the trailer will be pre-wired for a second AC. Installing a second, if pre-wired is easy.
Stay cool!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #27

Quote:
That's where we are as well. Planning on trips to Georgetonwn, Inks and Buchanon.

I'll have to do some research and see if the models we're looking at can be upgraded with a second unit. Being 30 amp I'm not so sure. If not, there's a Palamino Puma 286RBSS that is wired for a second AC. It's a few thousand more than we were planning on spending, but we certainly wouldn't mind a fifth wheel and if I wait until winter to buy maybe I can get a better price.
We camp at Lake Georgetown a lot. I like Jim Hogg best. If you pick the upper loop (away from the lake) you get shade in most spots. All the 50 amp spots along the lake shore are in the blazing sun. None of the lower loop has direct access to the lake, so there is really no benefit in being there unless you demand 50 amp hookups.

Some of the upper/shady loop spots DO have trails down to the lake.

For us, when it's hot (95+) we crank the AC WAY DOWN to like 60 in the late morning so it has a fighting chance to battle the late afternoon heat.

Look at the insulation ratings of trailers you are considering. The better insulation, the better it will keep the AC in.

We put reflective bubble barrier in the shower skylight. We also put insulated covers in both vents.

If the side of our camper with most of the windows is in the late afternoon sun, I will stick clear bubblewrap on the windows (from the inside, just wipe bubble wrap with a damp sponge and stick it to the glass, then close the shades). I think it makes a dig difference on blocking the heat, and with our tinted windows you can't even tell the bubble wrap is there from the outside, so it doesn't look junky.

I've done the bubble wrap trick twice in 100 degree weather when the afternoon sun is beating down on our windows.

If we were going to be gone for the afternoon, I'd even consider pulling the slide in. The slide out has MUCH less insulation than the rest of the trailer, so you can avoid all the heat seeping in if you pull the slide in.

We tend to nap in the heat of the day, and our single AC on a 33.5 ft overall length trailer does just fine. And trust me, i like to sleep with it chilly. 71 degrees is perfect for me for sleeping. Even on a very hot 100 degree weekend, it keeps the inside of the camper 74-78 degrees in the heat of the day, and will freeze you out by bedtime if you don't turn the thermostat back up.

So I think with high quality insulation of the trailer, seeking out shade when you can, and using some proactive thermostat management, a single AC on 30 amp can work just fine in central Texas heat.

We fully planned on adding a second AC unit to our TT, since it is pre-wired for it, but have never been compelled to do so. Until I go on a trip and feel like the AC we have left us uncomfortable, I don't see the reason to add another. We've had this trailer through 2 Texas summers so far.

All that being said, I don't recommend a trailer this long for a half ton truck. We started pulling this TT with a 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi and while it did ok for the first 2 years, it started having control issues with wind. I don't know if the wind got worse, or what, but I tried adding Timbren suspension bump stops and bought new light duty truck tires (replacing the passenger tires OEM) and I still felt uneasy with it in west Texas wind.

So we bought a 2500.

So when people tell you "that's a lot of trailer for ahalf ton", they mean it. By the numbers we were under all limits on the 1500, but in the wind, the trailer would push the truck and make it feel like it was skating. I'd have to slow down to 50-55 MPH. While that isn't much different overall from going 65, It was annoying, so we traded in the truck for something bigger.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #28

Great post Loraura. I appreciate all the tips for keeping the camper cool. Never thought to bring the slide in or use bubble wrap in the windows. Great ideas!

I have a 30' long Solaire and I'm a little worried about the wind playing havoc with it in the west texas wind when we start taking longer vacations. I have a Ram 1500 just like you did. Did you have a WD/sway hitch behind yours?

Tags
texas