Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #1

AC Temps exposed to Sun

just curious, How many of you would tell me honestly how your dual AC's are working exposed to the sun in the middle of July. Does it work if so what brand are you traveling in? If it is less than desirable what brand is struggling? What temps are you able to maintain during the heat of the day? Thanks in advance. Doing a little research on all of the makes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 01:47 AM   #2

It really doesn't matter what the make, other variables should be taken into consideration.

How well is you unit insulated.
Are you parked in a shaded area.
Are your A/C units 13k BTU, or 15K.
Do you have ducted units or are they separated by rooms with separate thermostats.
Single pane or double pane windows.

Sorry if I'm commenting on areas you've already considered, just a little food for thought if you hadn't.

I'd like to add, from personal experience, I've found it much better to have 15K BTU A/C units if you are planning to use them in outside temperatures above 80F.

Hope that answers part of your question.

DTW

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:15 AM   #3

My little 25 foot TT with ducted 15k Coleman doesn't have two units. But the one it does have works wonderfully. The highest ambient temperature I've been in was 104*F at Myrtle Beach with no shade. There was no problem maintaining 72*F inside. I'm sure it could have gone colder, but that would have been uncomfortable.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Modern AC units with the right power supplied to them should just about make it possible to hang meat inside if the trailer is well insulated.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
TVS

My 35' struggles to stay cool with one ac in the upper 80's and lower 90's. In the heat of the day, the temp inside is in the low 80's with the ac just chugging away from about 9am until 9pm when the outside temp drops into the 60's.

I have another post with issues with this AC in the appliances section.

I'm installing a second ac this week which will hopefully fix a good chunk of this problem.
TVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Modern AC units with the right power supplied to them should just about make it possible to hang meat inside if the trailer is well insulated.
I should add that I am living in an Outdoors RV Black Rock 19B with a 13.5k BTU air conditioner and single pane windows. Two 2k watt Honda gennies will run the AC for as long as they have gas to run, and it can get down right chilly inside in mid-ninety to near one hundred degree temps in full sun. I'm a very happy camper.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #7

AC Temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
It really doesn't matter what the make, other variables should be taken into consideration.

How well is you unit insulated.
Are you parked in a shaded area.
Are your A/C units 13k BTU, or 15K.
Do you have ducted units or are they separated by rooms with separate thermostats.
Single pane or double pane windows.

Sorry if I'm commenting on areas you've already considered, just a little food for thought if you hadn't.

I'd like to add, from personal experience, I've found it much better to have 15K BTU A/C units if you are planning to use them in outside temperatures above 80F.

Hope that answers part of your question.

DTW

Dan, thanks for your reply. Yessir most of what you made note of I have thought of. I have owned multiply RV's through the years. I currently have a new unit that is just barely a year old. But this is the first summer to get to use it. I know it is the 4th of July hot time of the year. But I have had opportunity to stay in others with out this same issue. I have two 15K units and both of them on separate t-stats. At night can pull it down to 65 degrees. But as soon as the sun gets up to the noon time with temps of 95+ degrees. I cannot keep it any cooler than 80*. I find this unacceptable. I have contacted the manufacturer with some what i fee is design flaws and basically am told that I don't know what I am talking about. I might add that my formal training and work for many years was AC repair. Not sure what my next steps will be. Not sure what I can do to have this fixed. The Dealers and the Manufacturers love to sell em. But sure as heck do not like to fix em. I have what is considered a full time unit. supposed to be 4 season insulated, dual pane windows, etc.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you've worked in the industry, then you know that maybe the very first problem is the quality of power they are getting. I would start there.

Also make sure that the power your RV is the amount you think it needs to be (30A, 50A, more, less). Two ACs running on 30A might not do well at all.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #9

Just got back from a 3 week trip that included staying in Galveston, tx right near the beach for a week. Temps were 90-95, two 15k ac's, zero shade, and by 10am the temps inside were up to 74-75. Think highest they reached was about 78-79....this is in a Fuzion th. Without shade and direct southern sun, it is nowhere near insulated well enough to keep temps at a set level.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
If you've worked in the industry, then you know that maybe the very first problem is the quality of power they are getting. I would start there.

Also make sure that the power your RV is the amount you think it needs to be (30A, 50A, more, less). Two ACs running on 30A might not do well at all.
Not disagreeing that power supply could be an issue, But I've found the factory insulation right out the door to be inadequate for cost saving reasons to the factory.

Some have found ways to add insulation in walls, behind cabinetry, and other places to remedy this lack of cooling and heating issue. Form spray is the easiest to use, and you don't have to disassemble anything, just drill a hole for the entry point.

The OP contacted the manufacture, and before reading the rest of his post, I knew what type of response he had gotten from that encounter.

All we can do for the most part is pay attention to how our trailers are built, and do the insulation upgrades ourselves.

One 15K BTU A/C unit could maintain a 35 foot trailer well within the comfort zone if it was well insulated. But from the factory, good luck unless it's a utility trailer conversion.

Shading the trailer when we know it's going to get hot has been the standard way to survive these hot summers for ages.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #11

We have a 2015 Grey Wolf Limited 26RL with a 15m Dometic AC. it keeps the temps nicely, even in 100 deg temp with semi shade, that is when it works !

We are on our third unit now, all replaced under warrentee !! When i asked my service writer is it something i"m doing wrong, to causes this, he said no. the units are just junk !!!!! He took me back in the service dept, to a stack of at least a dozen used units stacked in the corner, and told me that all these are just from this month.

The current new unit, is a Brisk 2, which me and DW agree, it's much better than the first 2, but can't really say what model they were !

Keeping our fingers crossed on these one,checking our power supply at every Campground we stay at now. But as my service rep, says, new 2 year warrentee on each new unit ! So we haven't got a year out of one yet !
Old 07-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At this rate out well never age it if the warranty! You've found the secret AC replacement gold mine!
Old 07-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #13

Must say, we have had no problem with them honoring the warrwntee, but, hauling it 50 miles each way and waiting a couple weeks to pick it up, is a pain !!!!!!

Had anyone else experienced this with there Dometics ?
Old 07-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #14

I have a single unit on my 30ft trailer. We never had a issue keeping in cold inside. Even in Moab temps when they get 110 with no shade.