Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #1

Question Added Heat Strip & Control Box to Coleman A/C

Need to know how to wire thermostat on wall? Here is what I have gotten finished.

Mounted the control box and heat strip in the A/C (Bedroom area) the kit # 9330A755, Coleman Mach, put heat free delivery plenum on unit.
I have fished thermostat wiring where the thermostat is to be placed.

These are the terminals on the control box. W GL GH Y B-
I understand GL is (Low Fan) GH is (High Fan) and can use one or the other or install a switch for alternate speed.

I am (or want to use) the Hunter Thermostat as is used in the thermostat upgrade discussions.

What is the proper wiring?

White to White?
Yellow to Yellow?
Green to Either GL or GH
B- What is this attached to? Appears B- on any Diagrams is a Common/Ground.

On all other post it mentions a Red (12 V DC) there is No Red on the control box.

Lost on this install!

Hope the GURU'S on here can help

Thanks
Paul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwsr View Post
Need to know how to wire thermostat on wall? Here is what I have gotten finished.

Mounted the control box and heat strip in the A/C (Bedroom area) the kit # 9330A755, Coleman Mach, put heat free delivery plenum on unit.
I have fished thermostat wiring where the thermostat is to be placed.

These are the terminals on the control box. W GL GH Y B-
I understand GL is (Low Fan) GH is (High Fan) and can use one or the other or install a switch for alternate speed.

I am (or want to use) the Hunter Thermostat as is used in the thermostat upgrade discussions.

What is the proper wiring?

White to White?
Yellow to Yellow?
Green to Either GL or GH
B- What is this attached to? Appears B- on any Diagrams is a Common/Ground.

On all other post it mentions a Red (12 V DC) there is No Red on the control box.

Lost on this install!

Hope the GURU'S on here can help

Thanks
Paul

Got this Working today
Using RV Comfort Installation manuals and Alan's Guide to UPGRADING from Factory Mechanical Thermostat to a Hunter. Appears nearly any Hunter thermostat will work even the programmable ones that switch back and forth from heating to cooling.The best thing I like, the fan is only on when it is cooling or heating vs before fan running all the time.
However, you can only run the fan without the compressor running.

Greatest feat was fishing the wire in the rv attic in the Bedroom ceiling to the thermostat. Time wise took about 2 1/2 hours total including attaching the Heat Strip Kit, in this case, RV Comfort # 9330A755 or 65435. This Kit will work on about all except Heat Pump Coleman units.

If you are going to attempt this there MUST be run a line for 12 volt DC also to the thermostat.
I ran a line from the Antenna Cigar plug to my thermostat to feed the 12 volt DC, this was only about 5 feet away.

Here is how the wiring must be done for the Heat and A/C to work.

W on the Control Box to W on the Thermostat
Y on the control Box to Y on the Thermostat
GL or GH which ever you prefer GL (Low) GH (High) Fan to G on the Thermostat
B- has to be hooked to the - (Negative) wire of the 12 volt DC you ran from Antenna Cigar Plug. In the thermostat housing this is a straight through connection to the Control Box installed in the roof unit.

The 12 volt DC positive from the Antenna Cigar Plug attaches to the RC or RH which are jumpered together in the thermostat when you get them in most cases.

Paul