Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
These are a good choice to strengthen your bumper but manufacturer says only up to 400lbs. A cargo carrier may exceed this. 4square also offers higher strength aluminum replacement bumpers that can support up to 1000lbs, HEAVY-HAUL'R™ Aluminum RV Cargo Replacement Bumper.
Wow...I like that bumper! Looks like you could mount anything to it. But then I guess back to the previous comment...I wonder how much of a bearing that is having on the trailer axles/suspension or the towing experience in general.
54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #16

Had a shop weld a beam between the aft frames with a 2 in receiver welded to that. Much more heavy duty and cheaper than the ones I was looking at online. He recommended that I keep the weight below 500 lbs and do not tow anything. I mounted a bike carrier with three bikes on it. No problems with the trailer suspensions, etc.
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #17

BTW, you may want to buy a hitch riser so your bicycles do not drag the ground when coming down some inclines out of parking lots. I believe I bought this one: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...urt/D-192.html
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #18

Not all rear bumpers are the same. It mostly depends on how they are attached to the frame. If the manufacturer attaches a spare tire, there is a good chance that they will support more than 100#. I have owned two Minnie Winnies and both bumpers were rugged. I attached a bolt on receiver and then attached a double bike carrier. I also use a ubolt stiffener plate to eliminate any movement in the bike rack. I just rechecked my new trailer setup yesterday and could not get any movement in the bumper when I applied some torque to the bike rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_145756.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	161758  
LJMinniePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #19

My Cherokee Forest River came with a cargo rack with spare attached. It is attached to the frame and has a max load weight of 200#. That includes the spare. With a lightly loaded trailer my tongue weight was 1200#. I moved the two six volt batteries ( 112# ) to the back. In the past on other trailers and RVs I have used the Bolt on receivers with no problem.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thumbs up ultrafab weld-on

we purchased an ultrafab 35-946403 @~ 1/2 the price of the curt and used
the savings to add a 500lb capacity aluminum cargo rack.
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #21

I have a small motorcycle that weighs 225 pounds. Any trouble with bumper mounting this assuming the bumper was rated high enough to handle it?

Thanks
Hogans Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #22

I called Northwood about mounting a bike rack to my Arctic Fox bumper. They asked if I had a spare tire mounted on it . When I told them yes, they suggested having a receiver hitch mounted to the frame,because the bumper wasn't made to support a lot of added weight. I bought a ladder mount bike rack but haven't used it yet. Now I am considering the receiver hitch to carry a 70 lb. generator and my blue tank. This is the one bad thing about being retired when you spouse is still working, too much time on your hands to spend money LOL.