Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Adding weight to slide out

Im thinking of removing the upper bunk, and the foldout (cheap uncomfortable) couch on this slide room. I'd like to put in a dual recliner type chair, but I don't know how much weight I can add to this room. I think the stuff I would have to remove is probably around 80-100 lbs, but that's just a guess. Any thoughts?, or info from your experience. Thanks for any help. TT is a Salem 32bhds.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #2

most new T/T w/ slides we've looked at with the sofa could be had with twin recliners if wanted. my used T/T has a sofa/bed but it has a storage compartment under it. I would like to change to recliners but don't want to lose my storage. looks like i'm stuck with what I have. I wouldn't worry about a small weight difference. my b/l weighs 300 and his wife probably 200 and they set on my sofa, i'm thinking the wall of the T/T is going to pull right off, scary
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #3

Jay D, thanks for the reply. I know its really a question for the engineer that designed this TT, but I know folks have done this, and im curious if there has ever been any problems with the added weight.
I'm not going to do this just yet, but it will get done some day. I just need 1 good comfortable chair to rest my knees at the end of the day.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #4

I removed the U shaped dinette from our slide and replaced it with a full size residencial recliner sofa. I'm guessing it weighs about 100 lbs more than just the dinette. It's been in there about 3 years with no damage or sagging detected. Most people use the storage under the dinette seats so I figured the weight would about equal out.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #5

It really depends on which style slide mechanism you have, and how it supports weight.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It really depends on which style slide mechanism you have, and how it supports weight.
X2;

We have a dinette and 2 Electric recliners on one slide and Residential Refrigerator, the entire Kitchen and entertainment center on the other slide.
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #7

Here is a great video on the differences on different slide systems. Been a while since I watched it but there is some discussion concerning what each type of slide system is designed for.

Tags
slide, slide out, weight