Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #15

Deep... did u weight truck by itself? Did u weight with and without w/d bars connected?

I don't have enough info to begin on your question... sorry.

chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #16
CCH

Heartland RV Club
Adjustment of Weight Equalizer Hitch

Agreed - 3 passes on a CAT scale (or more on a single-pad scale) to get unhitched TV steer | drive axle weight, second pass to get hitched w/out WD bars steer | drive | trailer axle weights and the third pass to get hitched steer | drive | trailer axle weights. That's what the OP did and it's really necessary info to figure out how you should be set up.

It will cost you $14.50 total at a CAT scale and is very easy - there is usually a fair amount of open space around the outside edges of the lot to hook and unhook - usually you want to pull off the scale to put your bars back on between pass #2 and #3 😉

Old 09-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Deep... did u weight truck by itself? Did u weight with and without w/d bars connected?

I don't have enough info to begin on your question... sorry.
Thanks for the reply, the truck weight was 5,780 with 3/4 tank of fuel with me & the wife in the cab. Have not weighed the truck & trailer with the wd bars off. I showed my weights to my the local chevy & camping world center & they both said the numbers looked ok. The trailer manual says 7,120 dry with 810 lbs. tongue weight. Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:45 AM   #18

Not much I can say not knowing the individual axle weights... try this instead... park truck and trailer on level ground. Measure distance from ground to wheel wheel on all 4 tires of truck. Jack up trailer so weight is off truck w/ hitch and bars disengaged. Measure height of wheel wells again. If you are adjusted properly, the front wheel wells with trailer on the truck will not be higher than without the trailer.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #19

Check out this post, it has photos and is absolutely the best.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/17730894.cfm
Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
CCH

Heartland RV Club
Runsdeep - try to find the Front & Rear Base Weight for your year/model Silverado. If the 3060# you're seeing on your steer axle hitched with WD is less than that, you really need to make some adjustments. It's not perfect, but it's a good starting point.

(Unloaded weight on a lot of pickups splits kinda around 60:40 - front:rear and if your truck scales 5780 unhitched, that could put the front axle around 3400# without the trailer - but that's a real raw estimate.)
Old 09-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #21

Okay... no camping this weekend so I decided to make a tweek on my hitch setup. I took it apart and added 1 washer. Could hardly see any change in the hitch height.

Went over by the scales and weighed w/o the trailer.

Steer Axle 4680 Drive Axle 3240

Then picked up the TT and came back with the WD bars attached.

Steer Axle 4680 Drive Axle 4120 Trailer Axle 5920

Then dropped the WD bars and got:

Steer Axle 4460 Drive Axle 4440 Trailer Axle 5800

So it looks like I have achieved a pretty good balance at this point and so I will leave it as it is. BTW... wife and I both noticed an increase in the noise from where it was set before.

Also, I'm seeing a 20 lb. rounding error in these numbers but I guess I'm close enough.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #22

Your numbers show you have done nothing but add weight to your rear axle.

You need to DISTRIBUTE some of that weight to the front axle. That's what the hitch is designed to do.

You should be adding something like 300 or 400 lbs to the front axle, taking it off the rear.

As it sits, you have added most of your 900 lbs of tongue weight, to the rear axle.

Don't the instructions explain how to measure the front and rear bumper to ground height.

When I set up mine, if the rear sunk 3 inchs, the front should have sunk 2 inchs. That told me that some of the weight was being carried by the front axle.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #23
CCH

Heartland RV Club
Mike - from my view you're looking good now, no longer unloading your front axle and definitely distributing weight. End of the day you will only move so much and you're probably at that point. Should drive pretty good now - enjoy it! Keep an eye on what you put in the front end of the trailer - you're a little rich on tongue weight but your rig may be happiest as it sits now. Good work!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
Mike - from my view you're looking good now, no longer unloading your front axle and definitely distributing weight. End of the day you will only move so much and you're probably at that point. Should drive pretty good now - enjoy it! Keep an eye on what you put in the front end of the trailer - you're a little rich on tongue weight but your rig may be happiest as it sits now. Good work!
Maybe if you read the setup instructions, of any weight distributing hitch your view would change.

If you had a pickup and wanted to load 1000 lbs on it, would you put It on the tailgate or forward, in the bed, ahead of the axle so some of the weight was on the front ? That is what a weight distributing hitch should do.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #25

This is the best source of information I have seen on how to set up a hitch. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/17730894.cfm.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #26

Hi Twinboat..... I'm not following you.

I think I am getting the exact results I should. That is when I add the WD bars, I am taking 330 lbs off the drive axle and DISTRIBUTING it to the steer and trailer axles. Importantly, the steer axle is now at the original weight as weighed W/O the trailer.

BTW... everything I've read on this says to never transfer so much weight to the steer axle so as to make the front wheel well clearance less than original. You say you adjusted yours so the front was inches less. Nowadays that's a no no..... according to what I have read anyway.

Best Regards, Mike
Old 09-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonrv View Post
This is the best source of information I have seen on how to set up a hitch. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/17730894.cfm.
Yes, of course, you have posted that twice now. It is a bit of a mystery to separate out what might apply to each individual install however. Reference is made to many hitch types and vehicle makes. Actually, did not see what RAM recommends. But it seems to suggest that in no event should one ever transfer so much weight to the steer axle that the front end is lowered.

Thank for your input.

Regards, Mike
Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #28

Sorry about the double post.

Tags
weight