Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #1

Adjustment of Weight Equalizer Hitch

I'm pulling a new TT now and want to be sure the dealer adjusted weight distribution hitch (Equalizer brand) is not transferring too much of the hitch weight back to the TT tires as I think they are undersized for my rig.

When properly adjusted, what percentage of the tongue weight should shift back to the TT tires. Or am I getting this all wrong?

Without the bars attached, the tongue weight is 800 lbs. and the TT weighed in at 6560 lbs., leaving 5760 lbs. supported by the TT axles. I figured those from the scale numbers below.

Numbers from the scale were:

Truck and driver: steer 4780, drive 3100, gross 7880

Truck, driver & TT: steer 4440, drive 4240, trailer 5760, gross 14440

Thanks for any information.

Regards, Mike
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #2

They can't transfer too much if they are undersized. Run back over the scale with the WDH attached and post those numbers. They can be used to figure the transfer weight numbers.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

General rule of thumb is that you are looking for 10-15% of the trailers weight on the tongue.

Or are you talking about bar tension, how much to pull up on those? If that's the case, and you're playing with 800lbs. on the tongue, you should probably be looking for bars rated at 1000lbs. to start with.

Ball height needs to be set so it matches on the tow vehicle and the trailer when level. This is key, as otherwise it will never be right. Top of the ball should be the same height (or very nearly so) as the distance from the ground to where the top of the ball will rest inside the coupler with the trailer level. Anything from 17 to 21" is common. There is no generic setting.......

With the rig hooked up and bar tension/ball height set properly, the entire rig should be level at rest. No squatting tow vehicles, no nose high or low trailers!

If the truck is squatting and the nose of the trailer is down, you don't have enough tension on the bars. Try again with another link hanging loose.

If the truck is squatting, and the nose is level or high, the ball height has been set wrong. It's too high.

Holler if you need something more specific.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:52 AM   #4

Was your WDH Hooked up when you weighed ? If my math is being done correctly ??? You have about 1100# of TW. seems a little high ??
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:56 AM   #5

Sorry, just saw you stated Without ! How did you come up with 800# TW ?
Old 08-01-2015, 05:17 AM   #6

Tongue Weight

I subtracted weight of truck from weight of entire TV + TT (14440-7880) to get trailer weight (6560) then subtracted trailer axle weight (5760) from it to get the 800 lb. tongue weight.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:34 AM   #7

Think i got it !!!! Plan on taking mine to the scales and plan on doing the same except doing it with and without WDH hooked up. Mind if i ask what they charged you ! the truck stop near me is $10.50 first weigh and $2.50 rewiegh.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Was your WDH Hooked up when you weighed ? If my math is being done correctly ??? You have about 1100# of TW. seems a little high ??
If you go by rear axle weights, it looks that way. That is the leverage effect from the hitch being so far behind the rear axle. 800# and 4-6 foot to axle, where weight was measured is a nice increase. This is what I am talking about in other threads about leverage that comes from the distance from axle to hitch.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #9

You are not only transferring weight to the trailer. Some of the weight is being transferred to the front tires of the tow vehicle.

That is why when setting up the bars you measure the bumper height of the tow vehicle, front and rear. As you tighten the bars, the whole tow vehicle sinks.

You could conceivably distribute all of the tongue weight off of the hitch with strong enough bars, lifting the rear tires of of your truck off the ground.

I haven't set up a hitch in years but the instruction for the hitch explain the setup procedure. If the rear goes down with weight, the front should go down also, just not as much.

Your weights show the front getting lighter, if the bars were not on, you should weight them with the bars and the front should weigh heavier.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #10

Okay, so I went back to the scales. This time with my WD bars connected. Here are the new numbers:
Steer 4540, Drive 4100, Trailer 5840, Gross 14480
So it looks like I am getting some of the weight distributed back to the front axle and back to the trailer tires.
All in all, the rig sits level when all hooked up and pulls down the highway noticeably better than my Shadow Cruiser did.
The cost to weigh at the CAT scale was $10.50 first weigh then $2.00 each reweigh.

The trailer, as weighed, is equipped with our standard household items, hoses and levelers. The holding tanks are empty. Propane was full. Also no fresh water.

For now, I guess I will leave things as they are. Still considering a tire upgrade. The 205/75/14s don't leave much margin. As it is, we carry extras in the PU bed since it has a secure topper. We still will not add more than 500 lbs. total when we get ready to head out. That's one lesson we've learned from our first coupla years... you don't need to take as much as you think.

Regards, Mike
Old 08-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #11

The only way to take weight off the tt tires is to move your gear in the travel trailor forward. The dist bars spread weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the front axle.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
CCH

Heartland RV Club
Hey Mike - from your numbers it looks like your WDH has moved 140# from rear axle to front. BUT - you are still unloading 240# off the front axle (4780 unhitched to 4540 WDH hitched). My advice is to adjust the WDH still more to get some of the 1000# added to you rear axle on the front. With 760# of tongue weight your bars should be able to do that pretty well.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #13

I agree with CCH... you need to try to get your front axle weight back (atleast close) to where the unhitched weight was.

My prior 1/2 ton I could get within 100 lbs of weight back onto the front axle, but couldn't quite get it all... I would suggest you either add another washer to tilt the head down more, or raise your L brackets one more hole. As long as the front axle weight doesn't go heavier than it was unloaded you are fine.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #14

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but here's my set up to see what you all think. We tow a 31' Keystone Laredo with a 2014 Silverado 1500 4x4. Curtis WDH hitch set up by our local camping world. Here are my numbers on the truck cat scales.
3060 front steer axle.
3740 rear drive axle.
6900 both trailer axles.
Truck & trailer is pretty level.
Combined gross 13,700 without wife & I & no water in tanks nothing much in bed of truck & somewhat ready to head out. My cost was also 10.50 to scale.
Does my combo sound ok?
Thanks for any input guys.
runsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight