Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #1

Hi All,

My first time here so forgive if I put my question in the wrong place.

I thought i would look around and ask some experts on my specific problem, and who best than people that actually do what I'm trying!?!

So I was wondering if you could lend me a few min of your time and experience and guide me.

My parents are going to buy an RV, be it a 5th wheel or something like it to travel around the country, CA and AZ mainly, with my bro who plays pro Jr. golf. They asked me to research.

They going to be basically living in this RV; I looked mainly at 5th wheels because I wanted to to choose the kind of vehicle that will tow it. The people that I talked to said that we're going to need a 5.7 ltr engine but I thought that a 3.0 ltr turbo diesel could do. The torque is about the same............but then again, what do I know, so I wanted to ask your advice.

The main thing is to save gas....well the money spent on gas; and since diesel is cheaper and the turbo would compensate I thought that would do.

What do you guys think?

I was looking at a 35' because they will be going around for the next 2 - 3 years so they do have to be comfy.

Thanks much for the input!
jahnsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #2

Hi All,

My first time here so forgive if I put my question in the wrong place.

I thought i would look around and ask some experts on my specific problem, and who best than people that actually do what I'm trying!?!

So I was wondering if you could lend me a few min of your time and experience and guide me.

My parents are going to buy an RV, be it a 5th wheel or something like it to travel around the country, CA and AZ mainly, with my bro who plays pro Jr. golf. They asked me to research.

They going to be basically living in this RV; I looked mainly at 5th wheels because I wanted to to choose the kind of vehicle that will tow it. The people that I talked to said that we're going to need a 5.7 ltr engine but I thought that a 3.0 ltr turbo diesel could do. The torque is about the same............but then again, what do I know, so I wanted to ask your advice.

The main thing is to save gas....well the money spent on gas; and since diesel is cheaper and the turbo would compensate I thought that would do.

What do you guys think?

I was looking at a 35' because they will be going around for the next 2 - 3 years so they do have to be comfy.

Thanks much for the input!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Torque is only part of the equation for pulling a 35' fifth wheel. And I've never heard of a 3.0 liter turbo diesel engine, at least on the "Big 3" (Dodge, Chevy/GM, Ford). I hope you're not thinking about pulling a 35' fifth wheel with something like a Toyota are you?

Since you have neither the truck nor the fifth wheel at this point, if it were me, I'd find the fifth wheel I liked first and then find a truck that will safely pull it.

When doing the math to figure out whether a particular truck will pull a particular fifth wheel, use the fifth wheel's GVWR and not it's dry weight. Also assume 20% of the 5er's GVWR as the hitch weight.

Here is a Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator that may be of use to you.

To tow a 35' fifth wheel, you're going to need "at least" a 1-ton dual rear wheel pickup, if not an actual MDT or HDT.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #4

You and your folks should go to as many RV shows as you can. We did that for several years and decided we wanted a big living room slide out, rear kitchen (my wife did not want her kitchen to be a passageway), we did not need a bedroom slide, and a 5th wheel. We saw a 29' Automate at a show and decided that this would be about the size and manufacturer we wanted. we followed the advice of a RV sales man and shopped for a used unit so we could use it for a year and then buy the rig that really met our refined needs. As it was we found a used 29' Automate and have liked it so much we have not bought a new one. So far since Dec 1999 we have put 70,000 miles on the trailer and still like it. Find the 5er first and then carefully look for a diesel truck to tow it. The longer the 5er the larger a truck you will need. Truck and RV sales folks are like politicians when their lips are moving they are likely to be "presenting the truth in it's most favorable light" (lying). My truck is marginal for my 5er, if the 3500 Dodge had had a significantly larger GVWR I would have gone for a 3500.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have you here on iRV2. You are right to do the research first.

If your folks are thinking about long term use I would recommend a 5er and not less then 34' if there will be 3 people. Once you are into a full time unit the weight will push you firmly into 1 ton dually (F350/3500) range and possibly into f450/4500 range.

You won't find any long term livable units for 3 people that a small gas V8 can pull.

Here is a site that explains weights and towing issues.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My experience with rigs designed for full timing is limited, however what I have observed is that they tend to be set up for only two people on a regular basis - that is to say they only have a single full time bed - to sleep more than 2 you have to convert either a sofa or a dinette into a bed. One Full timing couple I met called their unit a 6-4-2 for how many people they could fit for Drinks - Eats - sleeps.

Most full timers usually spent several weeks in one place before moving on - and then they may only move a days drive down the road and set up again. If you are going to be on the move alot (and with the golf tour I fear they might be moving every week) perhaps they should consider either a smaller unit that is easier to tow - but does not have all the comforts of home or a motorhome.

There are also mfgs who really cater to the full timers - Teton, Newmar, etc.

You will probably want either a large PU or a MDT - something like a Ford F450/550, a Dodge 4500 or the Chevy Kodiak to tow it with.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #7

Hey guys, thanks a heap for all the help and advice, it took me a little while to respond cuz I was real busy but just to let you guys know I'm all the way in Dubai, I'm planning this move for April 1 and just doing the homework till then. Well like some of you suggested I should find the 5th wheel first then match the truck to it so I made a list of requirements. I don't really know the good brands I should be looking in to but let me show you what I've found so far.

The requirements are:

1. Must have bathroom separate from master bedroom
2. 3 separate compartments, Master, Kids room and living/dining/kitchen
3. desk in the kids room if possible
4. bunk bend for kids friend
5. 4 slides, living, dining, kitchen, kids room if possible
6. 1.5 bathrooms if possible

Here is what I've found:

http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/brandtomo...ntum&m=365BHTS
This one is good but we wanted a sort of island in the living room cuz my Mom needs space and the fresh water tank is 65 gal. We'll get to that question later.

http://keyperformance-raptor.com/?pa...9&model=3812TS
This one is perfect except its a Toy Hauler where the toy bay is convertible in to a bedroom. I don't know if air conditioning is pumped in to the back, or else it'll be real hot back there. Also the fresh water tank is 110 gal. Also I don't need the fuel station that comes with this but....

On the water part, how long will 110 gal last for 2 adults 1 teenager taking 2 showers a day?

So, I was wondering if anyone can suggest other brands I can look through!

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!!!

John
Old 09-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #8

Hey guys also if you could clear the meaning of these cuz i was under these impressions:

Fresh Water - Water that comes out of all the faucets and shower in the RV
Waste Water - The tank which the toilet leads to
Gray Water - The tank which all the other drains lead to except the toilet

Is that about right?

Thanks again!

John
Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jahnsj:
http://keyperformance-raptor.com/?pa...9&model=3812TS
This one is perfect except its a Toy Hauler where the toy bay is convertible in to a bedroom. I don't know if air conditioning is pumped in to the back, or else it'll be real hot back there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would think that since the back is convertible into a bedroom that either the A/C is pumped back there, or they add a second A/C unit when the bedroom option is selected. That's something that should be asked of the manufacturer. I didn't take the time to look at the specs and what comes standard or as an option, but I'd want at least one 15K A/C that was ducted.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On the water part, how long will 110 gal last for 2 adults 1 teenager taking 2 showers a day? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's an almost impossible question to answer because it depends on so many different factors.

Are ALL 3 people going to be taking 2 showers a day...and WHY??? If you're dry camping (camping without any hookups), you're not going to want to be taking 2 showers a day! And you're going to want to take "navy showers;" i.e., turn on the water, get wet, turn the water off, soap up, turn the water back on to rinse.

We have 64 gallons of fresh water capacity...that will last the two of us at least 9 days and we still have some fresh water left. We do not, however, take a shower every day (let alone 2 per day!) when we're going to be doing long-term dry camping...we use wipes in between showers.

Of course, if you're in an RV park with water and sewer hookups, then how much water you use to take a shower isn't going to be a concern.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are ALL 3 people going to be taking 2 showers a day...and WHY??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well my bro will at least but its going to be full time thing RV living for the next two years or so cuz my bro is playing Jr. pro golf so this is basically the new home. They're selling the house in the Philippines and moving to LA where many of our relatives are and from there its mostly road from one golf tournament to another between CA, AZ and NV. Soooo, I need to get the numbers calculated right so that they don't have to tank every 2 days. I hoping for 1ce a week but I think that's asking too much, realistic at least 3.5 days, cuz the ave tournament is usually over the weekend Fri, Sat, Sun and they'll just park in the parking lot of the golf course, which a lot of these parents with golf kids do.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #11

If they are going to insist on taking "Hotel" showers, no amount of fresh water or holding tank will be large enough. Many golf courses have locker rooms with showers so I would suggest using them when available. Also, I don't think any of the golf courses that I've been to would appreciate someone dry camping in their parking lot when there is no tournament going on, they have other customers during the week. That said, you aren't going to find rigs with more than about 400 square feet of living space. I've seen some bunkhouse models that have 1 and 1/2 baths and a private bunk room that might fit your needs but I can't remember what brands. Try www.thorindustries.com, they manufacture several brands of RVs, you might find something there there. Forest River also makes several brands.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #12

Well its a combination of weekend golf tournaments for my bro and going around to see real estate property. We set up a small fund to buy rental properties and my Dad would be the point man / scout on seeing potential properties while going around with my bro and Mom. So its going to be a sort of weekend golf, during the week camping and practice and seeing properties on the way to the next golf tournament. They wont be in one spot for more than 3 days.

By an chance does anyone know if there is a GPS company that has all the RV camping sites in the memory? For ease of refill, dumping and camping.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #13

GPS with 'all' RV parks? I doubt it, and even if there were, keeping it up to date would be a challange.

Another option would be a book like the Trailer Life directory of RV parks. They come out with an updated one each year. Also, may want to check out Passport America who offers 1/2 price at some parks to see if they have any where you want to be. They do have a computer program with all of their member parks in it.