Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

Advice for family vacation with first TT

We are a family of four and looking to purchase a TT this spring. We are thinking about going to Disney World this summer, taking the TT and staying at Fort Wilderness campground. We live in Ohio so it’s about a 900 mile drive each way. We would be in the Orlando area around 2 weeks. Have some concerns that this trip might be too long (miles and time) since we have no previous TT experience. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
rdf1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
tcg

When we bought a used Class C the first we did is put it in our driveway and go through it pretty good running everything, water pump, fridge, generator, toilet, awning, etc...

Then we took a weekend close to home and tried everything out. We did that a few times knowing we were going to Florida from Michigan that winter.

By the time we left for the winter I knew everything about the RV and everything that might go wrong. It went off with out a hitch.

You can do it but get to know your rig before getting that far away from home. Give it a good kick in the tires so any bugs can get worked out of it before you leave.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Fort Wilderness and WDW is quite a money and distance commitment for a first trip. I'd suggest trying some weekend trips to the many great state parks of Ohio as a trial run. It will give you a chance to get used to the RV and camping much closer to home.

I personally wouldn't pick Orlando in the summer as a fun destination, but if it's the only time you can go, just be aware of the heat and humidity.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

Two weeks is plenty of time for a trip to Orlando from Ohio. Straight shot down l-75 and you/your family will love Fort Wilderness. There are numerous great options for camping on your way down and back.

I would recommend breaking the drive up into smaller chunks (depending on the age of your children and how much they can handle). Arriving at a campground before dinner allows time to eat and take a dip in the pool before getting a good night's rest. A quick shower in the morning and you're refreshed and ready to continue on.

As shared, get to know your rig before you head out, but then enjoy the journey.

I would recommend staying as long as you can at Disney because there is so much to do. Building in a day off between theme parks is also a good idea. We stayed 12 days on our last trip to the Fort and we only used the tow vehicle once to go out and get milk/bread. The rest of the time we used Disney transportation which was great. Stress free and drops you off right where you need to be.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

If you have never set up and used a TT, I would recommend #1, go to a local campground and talk to folks there about equipment and set up. Then #2, take it out for a few local runs to get used to your new "home away from home" including set-up, tear-down, cooking, sleeping, etc. I wouldn't want a long distance trip to be my first run. I'd camp close to home a couple times, learning what extras I need and don't need, getting used to towing, etc, before I strike out. Once you've got your feet wet, have fun!! There are some good threads on this forum as far as needed (and unnecessary) equipment for newbys. When we go long distance, we plan our runs for about 4-6 hour pulls each day to reach our destination. Much more than that, and it becomes a chore. Make reservations for your stops with these restrictions in mind. We just find a local, decently rated campground we can stop in for an overnight rest, then head out again in the morning. Having reservations helps as you have an end in sight for the day's travel and you don't have to hastily try an find a site when you're wore out and the sun is setting behind the trees. Safe travels!!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #6

There's no way I'd make Ohio to Disney your first trip. Camp local for a few times to make sure everything works and you know how to use it.
After you have your WDH fully dialed in and know your vehicle and trailer are up for the journey then go for it. Expect the 900 miles to take a minimum of 2 days and allow for 3 each way if you want to actually enjoy yourself.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #7

My family and I go to Fort Wilderness as much as we can it is absolutely awesome my recommendation for that just to make sure you have reservations plenty and advanced as it books up very fast if you ever want to do anything anywhere close to a holiday you're looking at a year out for reservations. Don't overbook as in spending too much time in the Parks there's so much to do at Fort Wilderness alone you rather be there then go to the parks. Don't get me wrong if you live in Ohio take time go to the parks but if you spend too much time in the Parks you will regret not spending the time in Fort Wilderness. Good luck on your trip and enjoy it!
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #8

if this is one of your first 'major' trips, other than those around your local area to get accustomed to your new digs, understand that pulling a travel trailer, with 4 folks and all your 'stuff' aboard, and all the needed 'stops' along the way, will take a good 3 full days of driving, if you are really wanting to 'enjoy' your trip.
If you try to make to Disney in two driving days, you'll wish you hadn't, since you'll arrive right in time for Orlando traffic, get to the campground late, wait in line for everyone else arriving at the same time, and might be 'setting up' at dark.... not good.
Make it a three day drive and take your 'time', even though everyone will want to 'speed' there as soon as possible.

There are many rv parks and campgrounds right off I75 along the way, just google map 'campground' or 'rv park' and you'll see PLENTY of options in the next 200-250mile range for your next night's stay... it will give the family plenty of 'staying time' at each stop versus a rushed 'overnight'...

That's 6 driving days of your two week trip, so one week in Disney, which is probably very nice... 3 days in the park, 3 days to 'sit back and relax' in the campground and exploring other draws in the area... if you are not 'rushed', this will wind up being a trip to enjoy!

more 'free' advice: try to get to your daily 'stops' mid-afternoon... you'll miss all the other RVs trying to check-in later, and you'll have some time to relax and enjoy... even if it's just seeing other RVs around you .... conversing with other campers and finding out their stories and journeys can be very invigorating!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4UPL View Post
There's no way I'd make Ohio to Disney your first trip. Camp local for a few times to make sure everything works and you know how to use it.
After you have your WDH fully dialed in and know your vehicle and trailer are up for the journey then go for it. Expect the 900 miles to take a minimum of 2 days and allow for 3 each way if you want to actually enjoy yourself.
Yeah herein lies the rub.

If you buy a brand new travel trailer there are so many things that could be an issue that would wreck your trip....

These are things like...

1) The trailer shakes down hard and spends the first 9 months of it's like in the dealers shop while you fight tooth and nail trying to get it operational.

2) you match it to the wrong vehicle, and it's a white knuckle ride there.

Now if you buy a used trailer in good condition but it's already shaken out and ready to roll, matched with the appropriate tow vehicle.. then theoretically, this is an easy trip.

How old are your kids?

I would count on getting between 4 to 5 hours per day of actual driving in an 8 hour day, this will depend a lot on your kids... but between potty stops, gassing up, eating, if you count on making it 4 hours, but you make 7,,, great.. but if you count on 7 and make 4...well

So figure a solid 5 days to get there without smelling the roses, and 5 days back. But heck, if you're gonna be gone that long, might as well stop and smell the roses. Take 10 days there, 10 days back if you can afford it. Gives you some down time on the road to decompress from the traffic.

Just don't buy a garbage RV, there's many out there that just aren't up to the task.

Don't tow with a vehicle that isn't up to the task.

Don't plan on driving 85 mph.

To that end, what was your thoughts? How big of a trailer are you talking? How old are you kids? How many kids? Vehicle?

I can't wait for my kid to be old enough to Fort W.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #10

It is truly great living 2 hours from Fort Wilderness
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180114_124127.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	188743   Click image for larger version

Name:	1515975653190.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	188745  

robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #11

Thank you all for the feedback. It sounds like some of my concerns (break-in of a new TT, several days on the road each way, and inexperience) are pretty valid. I’m thinking we may wait to try Disney with a TT until we’ve owned one for at least a year.

For those that asked, the towing capacity of my truck is 11,700 lbs. The UT2802BH that we are looking at has a GVWR of 7,450 lbs. We want to get one that will be big enough for our family, but still not pushing the limit of the truck.
rdf1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf1982 View Post
Thank you all for the feedback. It sounds like some of my concerns (break-in of a new TT, several days on the road each way, and inexperience) are pretty valid. I’m thinking we may wait to try Disney with a TT until we’ve owned one for at least a year.

For those that asked, the towing capacity of my truck is 11,700 lbs. The UT2802BH that we are looking at has a GVWR of 7,450 lbs. We want to get one that will be big enough for our family, but still not pushing the limit of the truck.
What’s the payload of your truck? Yellow sticker inside the door jamb, says “cargo and passengers should ever exceed ####lbs “

Then take that number and subtract your weight, your wife’s weight, your kids weight and anything else you might put in the truck, call it 100-200 lbs.

Then subtract 100 lbs for a hitch.

Then take the 7450 lbs of trailer and add 500 lbs to it. Nope, scratch that...take the unloaded weight of 5765 and add 500lbs then next step

Then multiply 6265 x 15%

If your final remaining payload number is lower than the 15% of the trailer weight, you’re in for an interesting ride.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Discussion for research here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/artic...ml#post3989955

The trailer you pointed out is very light, you stand a good chance of the numbers working out, but payload is ultimately the critical number.

Towing numbers like “11000 lb tow rating” only have to do with drivetrain pulling capacity. It in no ways describes a trucks handling capability of the downward force of tongue weight which must be at least 10% of the loaded trailer weight, but usually is a bit higher, but generally no more than 15%
Old 01-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #14

We just recently bought a TT, and staying at Fort Wilderness was on our mind when we made the decision. While not the reason we got one, it was a 'perk' of having one. We have stayed there in the cabins a few times and love it. But we are only traveling from NW Georgia.

When looking at weights we found that the main limitation on TT weight was the TV payload, hitch weight, and Axle weights. So pay close attention to those numbers. Even being under all of our weights, there are still some issues with the TV we are going to have to resolve to make the trip to Disney.

To get used to the TT we are staying at a local park for a month (no vacation time from work needed). This allows to figure out how to live in it, what is needed, what is not needed, and be able to retreat home if needed. So far this has worked out well.
himandher818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, cat