Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2005, 01:57 PM   #1

Hi All -

Our neighbors want to purchase their first RV. They know what they can tow but they also need something that will fit "behind fenceline" on their property.

They are a family of 4 and want bunks. They told us last night that they found a '98 Nomad TT 26' with bunks. Said it appears in good shape and they "could live with it", as far as floorplan. Their concern though prompted me to post this question:

They are on a tight budget. This trailer appears in great shape (TBA after the "walk thru" before signing) and is within their budget. But, they are a little hesitant for one reason. The TT has no slides. They asked us last night if they would be better off saving more money and buying one with a alide (for more room and later for resale value), vs. being able to get into the "RV game" now, enjoy the summer and "make do" with this trailer that essentially has everything they need?

Curious as to your opinions?

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2005, 01:57 PM   #2

Hi All -

Our neighbors want to purchase their first RV. They know what they can tow but they also need something that will fit "behind fenceline" on their property.

They are a family of 4 and want bunks. They told us last night that they found a '98 Nomad TT 26' with bunks. Said it appears in good shape and they "could live with it", as far as floorplan. Their concern though prompted me to post this question:

They are on a tight budget. This trailer appears in great shape (TBA after the "walk thru" before signing) and is within their budget. But, they are a little hesitant for one reason. The TT has no slides. They asked us last night if they would be better off saving more money and buying one with a alide (for more room and later for resale value), vs. being able to get into the "RV game" now, enjoy the summer and "make do" with this trailer that essentially has everything they need?

Curious as to your opinions?

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tight budget and no slides equal a great deal in a 98 Nomad.
Start out small and grow.

Chet
Old 05-17-2005, 06:05 PM   #4

slides add lots of weight. If they are not used to slides then they will not miss them. I'd go for it. That way, if they don't like camping they have not invested alot, and if they do like it, they can trade up. IMHO

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #5

Our first unit was also a bunk unit, no slide, we had kids and wanted to camp. The upgrades came later....IMHO! LOL

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:55 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We started out with a low end bunk unit with no slides. We had a great time with it. I would get started camping when the kids are young and worry about slides later when they can afford it.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #7

We started out with a 1989 18' Mallard and now we are in a 2003 Layton Lite 248 XL with rear bunks and no slide. We discussed it, sometimes too much before the purchase, and decided to go without slides for the following reasons: never had it - won't miss it, weight was a factor, and the fact that my kids are 3 and 6 and spend most of thier time outside. One other key factor was having the 14' awning. This is a feature that really adds comfort and space for a family of four not just ready to splurge. We eat outside and play board games outside under the awning and it is like having a bonus room. I'm sure that we will someday own one of the "big boy" trailers or 5'r but we are more than content with our bunkhouse.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:25 PM   #8

That sounds like the same model we had for our first trailer. It was a Layton (same as Nomad) built by Skyline. It was the 2610 and had no slides, front bedroom with rear bath and two bunks. We loved it and it got us hooked on camping. We didn't have a single problem with it in four years camping and over 12,000 miles towing. Slides are nice, but for a first rig that you buy used for a good deal, I'd do it and see what happens from there.

2005 Ford F350 Diesel
The Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:28 AM   #9

We started off looking at pop-ups. Due to $$ / value we changed to 5'r.

We ended up w/ a 27' Shasta bunk. No slides. My concern was failure / maint. We had never camped a day in our life. I agree w/ the above that we spend a lot of time under the awning (so much that after one trip we bought outdoor carpet). Would I like more room? Sure, who would not? For a "newbie" this has been better than I ever dreamed. My kids are 3 and 6 so it works great. I figure in 5 - 8 years I'll be getting a nice fiberglass unit w/ slides.

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually
Pafixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:51 AM   #10

We also started out with a TT with bunks and no slides. It was a great first unit. Easy to tow, fewer mechanicals to worry about breaking down. Good RV for a first timer. Slides will not only add weight, but the price can jump up a lot with a slide-out - especially on a TT since slides used to be less common on them. The wholesale value on our TT that we just sold would have been $5K more if it had one slide. If this unit is in their budget, a smiliar model with a slide probably is not.

I'd say go for it. I'd rather not have the slide than have to wait a year to go camping. Time with your kids is more valuable than anything.