Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #1

Advice on Adding Grill Rail

Bought a shiny new stainless steel gas grill for our 2013 Shadow Cruiser and would like to add a rail so we can hang it off the side, when needed. There is a part available for that but it is suggested that the install be done at an "authorized dealer". I am a little bit nervous about letting Jimmy the part time lot boy at the RV dealer shoot some sheet metal screws into our new trailer at random locations only to have it fail on us later.
Anyone done this job for themselves? Actually hate to haul our trailer over to a RV shop for such a small deal. This trailer has the fiberglass sides and aluminum frame underneath. Be nice to have it anchored into the frame.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On cold mornings before the sun warms the side of a coach, one can see on the fiberglass side walls moisture showing where the aluminum framework is.

You know how even with an exhaust fan oil gets in the air and lands on everything around the stove including walls and cabinetry. Well be sure to buy some extra soap as you'll surely get oil on the side of your trailer and under the awning as oil splatters and heated air raises. Now if you have children that voluntarily wash your vehicles, it's no big deal.

I hate cleaning when it can be avoided. That is why when outdoors I cook away from the RV and not under the awning. A table that fastens to the side of the trailer to keep drinks in the shade is practical for me.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #3

Coastal Campers
There were no studs that lined up properly on our trailer so I used plastic hollow wall fasteners similar to this with plenty of caulking, and it seems to be working great. The bracket sets the grill out about a foot from the side of the trailer, and I have not noticed any soot or grease build up .....
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/hollow-anchor-toggle-plastic-8-to-12-drill-5-16-pk-20-min-thrd-11-4/262853985.html
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #4

I'm working on a custom design to mount an 18 inch Weber ( I''m a Charcoal Guy ) on the rear bumper, will swing in for travel and out, away from the TT for use.

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #5

I added the rail on mine for my RVQ. I wasn't sure I trusted the holding power of the screws in the fiberglass siding even though it has a 3/16" plywood backer. I drilled the bracket and added 3 screws equal distanced from the original 4 to spread out the load. I doubt the original 4 wouldn't have held the rail just fine, but I wanted to be sure.

Lots of detractors out there regarding the RVQ brand and mounted grills in general, but I love mine!
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #6

We have a shadow cruiser as well and have swing away mount on the rear bumper for our grill.
jdrundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #7

If your set on mounting it on the side of the camper, use the cold morning technic to identify vertical and horizontal framing to use self tapping screws to mount with. I bought a fold in half 6'x2.5' plastic table from Sam's club that holds my coleman two burner stove and weber Q100 grill with plenty of room for a food tray still. No grease on the camper, or smoke in the windows or under the awning when I'm cooking and allows me to setup where ever I want, not tethered to the propane hookup.
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #8

Why not try a cheap folding table as a stand first and see how that goes. I would also be concerned about greasing up the side of the trailer, you never know where the wind blows.

Tags
advice