Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Advice on buying a TT

Wanting buy my very first TT. What are some important things I should look for? I want to stay between 25' to 30' with a full rear bath.

yakfisher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing is to make sure your tow vehicle can tow the trailer.

Read on this site.
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights

Next is, do not believe anything the sales person tells you regarding what you can tow. His job is to sell you as much RV as he can.

Now find a floor plan you can live with. Sit in for an hour or two, tell the salesman to get lost and you will find him. Sort of set up living there, pretend to fix a meal, is there places to store the food, eating utensils, pots and pans, etc.

Is there a comfortable place to sit and talk, eat, watch TV.

IS there enough room to store clothes, linens, etc.

Is there room in the bath for you to fit...stand in the shower, sit on the toilet, put on makeup, store the toiletries....
Is there room to store lawn chairs, toys, fishing gear, etc.

Now when you get down to the deal, the salesman is after your money and you want to keep as much as possible. In this market, offer 70% of the MSRP, less any dealer add ons. If he does not meet close to your offer, leave and go look else where.

Do not fall in love with one and make it apparent. There are plenty of other RVs out there.

Now get everything the dealer has promised in witting in the contract. They tend to forget what is not written.

Now when you go to pick up the RV, make sure yo inspect and every thing is 100% before you hand over the money. Do not accept that they will fix or add something when you bring it back for warranty work. 100% before ir rills off the lot and they have your money.

First thing to decide is if you really want to RV. For a first RV, I'd recommend renting one and seeing what you like and do not like. Then I would find a nice used one and let someone else take the depreciation. Get an independent 3rd party RV technician to inspect the RV before you buy it. make the deal contingent on it passing your inspection.

Have fun shopping.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
I second Ken's advice,.... Most importantly, be sure you're ok with the payment you'll ultimately end up with, make sure it's something you can handle, and by that I mean, driving, storing, maintaining, etc etc etc.

But most importantly, don't believe anything the sales guy says about tow capacity...... Last year I bought a 40' toy hauler...... This past April I went and replaced my truck and was told I could get away with a single rear wheel, gas powered F250...... The salesman was a total douche...... I ended up with a new diesel F350 and I don't regret it a bit....... Recently saw a trailer, same model and year as mine being pulled by a peterbuilt with a sleeper cab......

When it comes to your tow vehicle,..... The more capable it is, the safer it is,...... Nobody wants to travel on vacation with a huge trailer that's throwing them all over the road and a truck that's at it's limit...... We RV mainly to relax..... The trip shouldn't be stressful..... My advice is to just keep that in mind,..... Take your time, make sure once you know what you want, and decide on it,..... Go home and sleep on it,..... Believe me, a year down the road you'll never regret that you second guessed yourself and got exactly what you wanted!!!
Matusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
If it was my first TT, I would try to find something less than five years old. You cannot think through all the issues until you camp and then things begin to come clear on what works and what does not and what you want and do not want. Saves a lot of depreciation and makes it easier to trade up after you figure out what you want.

On second thought, I still cannot make my mind up if I want another truck cabover (I have had three), another TT or a toy hauler. Maybe you should not take my advice since I have yet to find the perfect RV for me.
2005 Dodge, Cummins 4x4 quad cab, auto, white, dually 3500. 2009 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299bhs.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
First off, thanks for the valuable input. I recently bought a new dodge 3500 that I needed for work so I've got the tow vehicle. As far as the TT, I think I want to purchase a new one. My family and I have already rented TT in the past so I kind of know what I want inside. I was just wondering how bad the depreciation would be on a TT with a window sticker of about $27000. Also need more input on what to look for in a water heater, plumbing, electrical, frame, a/c or any major mechanical.
yakfisher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
If I knew exactly what I wanted and it was another TT, I would try to get an Airstream. Failing that, an Arctic Fox, Pacific Coachworks Tango or similar quality product. The last thing anybody wants is for the TT to be in the shop getting fixed during camping season. I would opt for non Chinese tires and strong enough axles that are not only up to the job but also more. Most RV manufacturers try to get by with the bare minumum and it costs the consumer later on. I also like front caps and gel coat sides. As far as your concerns about air, hot water heaters, heaters, refers, stoves, etc. most are the same appliance manufacturers found in almost all trailers. Some more considerations are springs or torsion axles, magmetic drum brakes or disk brakes, and then the hitch. Don't spend $27K on a trailer and probably near $40K for the Dodge truck and go cheap mating the two together.
2005 Dodge, Cummins 4x4 quad cab, auto, white, dually 3500. 2009 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299bhs.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
For us it was very important to have enough beds without taking down the dinette. So 5 beds plus the dinette, a shower, less than 6500#, and about 30' overall at a price we could manage was our criteria. We found this Terry 27X on Craigslist after a year of looking. A BH model from before there were BH models. Were just thrilled and put $1K in our pockets after we sold our pop up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2295925645.png
Views:	103
Size:	899.0 KB
ID:	12497  
Bobsbeatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
1-Arrange your financing BEFORE you get to the RV dealer; this will give you way more negotiating power with the sales staff; also, set your top dollar limit, and don't budge...it makes the sales staff come to you financially.
2-Buy the BEST quality that your budget will allow.
3-Unless you just want that "great" bargain on a used unit; buy new. RV warranties are only good to the original owner; if you buy used, you will have zero warranty, unless the dealer tries to sell you on a cheap imitation of a warranty.
4-Don't let the glamor and glitz sway you. Pay close attention to the practical aspects; after all, you will spend a lot of time in your new rig.
5-If you decide to buy used, make the dealer verify the date codes on the tires; if they are even approaching four years old, INSIST that new tires are part of the deal or no sale.
6-New or used, insist on a complete walk through and OPERATION CHECK of everything that has a switch, button, or lever.
7-Avoid the high priced deluxe package deals...on these you will find things like TV's that you can buy at Walmart for $300 going for as much as $1000.00.
8-Don't waste time "wheeling and dealing"; RV sales people are hungry now, they know if you have already secured your financing you are serious, and that you will buy from someone somewhere.
9-Make your selection, and buy.
10-ENJOY !!!!
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
After owning my TT for a year, things I would want differently:

65 gal gray tank (or at least 50 gal, current is 40 gal)

Black tank flush (I added one to ours)

Axels with zerk fittings to grease the bearings

non-chinese tires (I've already replaced ours)

Outside shower (I added one to ours and have used it almost every trip, I'm a part-time RV'er)

2 batteries (ours did come this way)

U shaped dinette

More comfortable couch

more than 1 slide out

Electric awning

ladder on the back which I understand usually indicates the roof is safer to gingerly walk on and maybe store a kayak or something similar

cloth accordion blinds instead of cheap metal blinds that bend
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
I second almost everything RedRocket said. We bought our trailer this year and it has almost everything on his list. (Not the u-shaped dinette, but it does have an oversized dinette). We have a 40 gallon grey tank and fill it quite frequently with 2 adults and 2 kids, but not a problem since we only go to parks with full hookups. The black tank flush is an absolute must for me now that I've had one. If you are anywhere in the south I would highly recommend a 15k a/c if you don't have dual a/c.
2015 Gateway 3750PT
2014 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2011 Yukon XL 2500 4X4
Rysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
One other thing, I had dual batteries with a disconnect switch put on it as part of the deal to buy it.
2015 Gateway 3750PT
2014 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2011 Yukon XL 2500 4X4
Rysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Thor Owners Club
I would ask for golf cart 6v batteries and check with your state or province about requiring a travel trailer endorsement on your drivers licence.

Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote