Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #15

Something tells me they'll end up pulling it home, unhook it, and then turn around and drive the highlander to the Toyota dealer to trade it in on a Sequoia.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #16

Now y'all are making me nervous !!

I am pulling a 2016 KZ Vision V23BHS with a 2014 Dodge Durango V6 with tow package. The TT has a dry weight of 4,450lbs and the Durango is rated to pull 6,200.

My wife and my two daughters (7 and 11) weigh in at approx. 500lbs. Add to that the Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH and 200lbs of bikes on the back and we are probably pushing the limits.

We've been on two trips totalling 700km (440 miles) so far and the towing seems to be fairly easy with the exception of one crossing of the Burlington Skyway in high winds. But still, it wasn't too bad.

I'll be tackling a 10,000 km (6,250 mile) from Toronto to Victoria and back in August - returning through North-Western states.

Are you telling me I should make sure the water tank is empty when driving??
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazBritUS View Post
I had to laugh just now. I was at camping world looking at a really nice Jayco 19BH that was 3100lbs. I was leaving the sales office and there in front of me was a Toyota Hylander (5000lb rating also) getting a brand new 4700lb 26ft slideout attached to it, ready to roll out of there
Ya ... that ain't gonna work !! They didn't do their research.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirch View Post
Now y'all are making me nervous !!

Are you telling me I should make sure the water tank is empty when driving??
Get your loaded for travel weights , ASAP, if the fresh tank's water at 8 lbs per gallon , puts you over any of you weights , rear axle , trailer axles or GCWR , best to reduce , the amount, or possibly go without.

Remember the winds in Canada , blow towards where the hot air rises ( Ottawa) so any day with wind you'll be going into it, on your trip west ; and then there's the Rockies.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
if the fresh tank's water at 8 lbs per gallon , puts you over any of you weights , rear axle , trailer axles or GCWR , best to reduce , the amount, or possibly go without.
With 40 gallon tank, water is 320lbs. The 200 lbs of bikes on the back should offset that and reduce the tongue weight.

The combined 520lbs only brings me up to 5,000 lbs - still well within the tow limits of the car.

TT GVWR is 5,600lbs. With water and bikes TT should weight 4,980lbs leaving over 600lbs for gear.

Sounds like towing fully loaded and with full tank, we are pushing the GVWR limit but still alright. I drove 600km (375 miles) like this in Ontario last weekend and it seemed to be pretty smooth. Wasn't, however, in the mountains.

I think I'll dump my tanks before a long day of driving in Alberta / BC.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirch View Post
With 40 gallon tank, water is 320lbs. The 200 lbs of bikes on the back should offset that and reduce the tongue weight.

The combined 520lbs only brings me up to 5,000 lbs - still well within the tow limits of the car.

TT GVWR is 5,600lbs. With water and bikes TT should weight 4,980lbs leaving over 600lbs for gear.
You've used the word " should " twice , are you also assuming that the factory " dry weight " is accurate .
Get the rig , loaded for travel , out to the scales and weigh it. You need accurate weights to be sure you aren't overloading the tires on the Tow vehicle and the trailer . Hot day on the prairie isn't the time to be on the side of the road with a blowout.

Tags
advice