Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
We went to CanAm Rv with our Venza...3500lb tow rating. They had no problem with it towing more, as long as they could get underneath and do some welds to strengthen our hitch. They let you test drive a Caravan pulling a 28ft trailer...it moves along really well, but I did notice the landscape was really flat. I got talking to a couple who had brought in their trailer, for some servicing. They were towing with an Escape V6, again 3500lbs. The trailer dry weight was 3,200. They had 2 bikes mounted, but what I found interesting was that they noticed quite a difference in pulling with a bit of water in the tank. This told me they were on the edge. We did not upsize our trailer thru CanAm, and when we did, we bought a truck to pull it, even though this trailer is 3,000lbs. We want to be able to bring stuff, and not screw up the tranny in the Venza. Sales people need sales, they don't have to fix your tv if something goes wrong.
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 12:47 AM   #16

I think pulling the trailer is one thing. STOPPING the trailer is something else.
dog lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog lover View Post
I think pulling the trailer is one thing. STOPPING the trailer is something else.

And that is the problem. In an emergency maneuver you are going to have a hard time controlling things.

I own two Lexus automobiles. A 2000 RX 300 and a 2004 RX 330. Pulling a trailer with either one of those would be out of the question for me.

I can't imagine pulling an Airstream with either of them.

As for a Caravan pulling a trailer...you'd need a trailer to stay in as you go from transmission shop to transmission shop getting the transmission fixed and replaced...lol

Ask every salesman what RV he owns and where has he traveled with it. In the past 20 years I've met two salesman who actually owned RV's and used them.

Wish I could give you some positive input but I believe you need to upgrade your tow vehicle to a larger unit.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #18

I would go with what the owner's manual says. Going over those limits might void your warranty and also could work against you in a law suit stemming from an accident. Make sure you do your own investigation and don't rely on any saleman - they have something to gain.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #19

I'd go with what the owners manual says regarding weight limits. You might risk voiding your warranty and possibly opening yourself up to more liability in case of an accident if you don't. I would do my own investigation apart from what any salesman says - they have something to gain.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #20

You really need to consider not just "can" the tow vehicle haul your chosen trailer within its mechanical limits, but can this be done safely. I would assume your entire family will be riding with you and you need to consider their safety as well. It doesn't sound very safe to attempt to tow something beyond the mechanical limits set by the manufacturer. Especially being able to stop.

You'd be better off to trade in for a used 1/2 ton crew cab pickup and stay with a lite weight trailer so you'd have at least some margin of safety.

Just my two cents. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #21

LA Gulf Coast Campers
You will get shoehorned into something that will be way too small, but looks cute. Your vehicle will soon tell you that you have made a serious mistake.

You will then upgrade your TV to a heaver tow vehicle, maybe a truck. Now, you will be unhappy with the tiny box you are towing now that your TV can tow much more.

The Nissan Pathfinder can tow 5000#, but even that is going to put you in a unit that is cramped for five people. Get a double cab truck, then pick out the camper you want.

Remember there are tons of great values in pre-owned campers. But get a good TV first. My F150 tows around 10,000# my 31 Rockwood Ultralight is 6700 dry. It is a beautiful tow combination.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Kiwi Pathfinder 2013 w/ Jayco Feather 221 and now 2014 F-150 XLT HD Tow 5.0/3.37 gear Rockwood Ultra Light 8314BSS WDH. It is obvious you know your stuff. I am stuck on diesel's. Mileage sucks with no pull. Mileage is normal pulling a 33' 10k trailer. I would love to own a 1/2 ton that can pull a trailer like you have.(8314BSS) is sweet. Tell me more. Please
Old 10-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #23

I saw a guy this morning with a Honda Odyssey loaded with two people, gear, roof box and towing a 16' boat. The rear end was bottomed out and he was going 45 in a 65mph zone down I-75 with his hazards on. Scary!
Just because you bolt a hitch to it does not make it a tow vehicle.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog lover View Post
Yes! We're closer to max wt than I'd like and nearly ran over a honda at the bottom of a hill last month when the dumba** in the Mercedes in front of him decided to slow down/turn left with no signal. It took me an hour to get the brake controller set right again after I cranked up the volume to help get things stopped. First time I've been concerned I was going to rear end someone since I started towing regularly (boat and now tt) 6 years ago. And that was with new brakes and tires all around on the truck, too.

Told DW I want to start looking for a nice 3/4 ton, probably diesel (especially since I love our Jetta TDI).

Anyway, point is that you're traveling with 3 small, precious, packages in the van and you don't want to risk them. Custom hitch or not, it's hard to panic stop if your vehicle is overloaded and being pushed by a trailer. Don't do it. Adjust your expectations wrt the trailer or get a bigger tow vehicle.

My 2 cents as a father and grandfather of 6.
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #25

Amy, find a trailer that suits your families' needs, and that you are all happy with. Then obtain a vehicle with the capability to safely haul it. The Odyssey is completely unaccepatable (not to mention dangerous) for what you are trying to do.
DaveF-250SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #26

Thank you all, again

I'd like to thank so many of you for weighing in on how we will manage a travel trailer pulled by our Odyssey. It sounds like pretty much everyone thinks it's a bad idea and we need a bigger tow vehicle. What's sad is I don't see how we are going to afford both a travel trailer AND a new tow vehicle. It was hard enough figuring out how to pay for the travel trailer alone.

I feel completely discouraged and misled by salesmen.

Thank you my forum friends. We in no way want to jeopardize the lives of our 3 little precious cargo, as the grandfather put it.

Back to the drawing board.
amybronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybronwen View Post
I'd like to thank so many of you for weighing in on how we will manage a travel trailer pulled by our Odyssey. It sounds like pretty much everyone thinks it's a bad idea and we need a bigger tow vehicle. What's sad is I don't see how we are going to afford both a travel trailer AND a new tow vehicle. It was hard enough figuring out how to pay for the travel trailer alone.

I feel completely discouraged and misled by salesmen.

Thank you my forum friends. We in no way want to jeopardize the lives of our 3 little precious cargo, as the grandfather put it.

Back to the drawing board.
Don't be too down about it yet. You need to really explore some of the good options for tow vehicles and what your Odyssey might be worth on trade.
You might be able to go to a place like Carmax and roll out of there with a good option. Look at big vans like the Nissan NV, too. Friends of mine just got a crazy good deal on a new one to reach their old swagger-wagon. They tow well and make a good family hauler.

There are also many good used trailers out there that are great deals.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #28

I know you said no pop ups but you should look at trailmanor trailers. They're pop ups but completely fiberglass. Their low profile would be much easier on the mini van and with the larger model it has 2 king sized beds and a dinette as well as separate tub and shower. Honestly this is probably your best bet on keeping the mini van. My wife and I seriously looked at one at an RV show and it was amazingly easy to set up. My wife is 5' 100lbs and could do everything by herself
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, travel trailer, travel