Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #15

Wink How to get better mileage

Most folks find that towing reduces their mileage by 1/3. If your mileage drops more than that here are a couple of suggestions that work well for me. Add a Scan Gauge and then watch your real time mpg and average mpg. On the very first trip it increased my mileage from 10.3 to 11.3 (8 to 9%), just pay attention to the display and educate/adjust your right foot accordingly. It also gives me tranny fluid temp and a digital read out of engine coolant temp along with being a code reader. Best $150 I ever spent on the truck.

Try IconDirect for a look at their line of wind deflectors and no they will not give you 4 or 5 additional mpg but they can easily get you an additional 1.5 to 2. I installed mine last May and have picked up a consistent 1.5/2 mpg. Having a Leer shell on the back of my F-150 I was able to install the deflector much closer to the trailer which dramatically enhances its efficiency and I no longer have to clean bugs off the front of my trailer.

Here is a shot of my rig with the wind deflector but note that it is angled too high in this shot. It should aim directly at the top of the front edge of the trailer, about a 30 degree angle (when you stop getting bugs on the front of the trailer you have it about right).

The truck is an 06 F-150 SCab 5.4L, the TT is an 08 Pioneer Spirit 18CK 22' 5600# GVWR that Cat scales at 4600# with the normal load. Have been consistently getting 11.5 to 13.5, (averaging around 12.5) driving the speed limit or a little less. Most of that driving has been in the serious mountains of Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. I keep the rpms at or under 2,000 most of the time and that is where most of the good mileage comes from.

Capt Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve
Most folks find that towing reduces their mileage by 1/3. If your mileage drops more than that here are a couple of suggestions that work well for me. Add a Scan Gauge and then watch your real time mpg and average mpg. On the very first trip it increased my mileage from 10.3 to 11.3 (8 to 9%), just pay attention to the display and educate/adjust your right foot accordingly. It also gives me tranny fluid temp and a digital read out of engine coolant temp along with being a code reader. Best $150 I ever spent on the truck.

Try IconDirect for a look at their line of wind deflectors and no they will not give you 4 or 5 additional mpg but they can easily get you an additional 1.5 to 2. I installed mine last May and have picked up a consistent 1.5/2 mpg. Having a Leer shell on the back of my F-150 I was able to install the deflector much closer to the trailer which dramatically enhances its efficiency and I no longer have to clean bugs off the front of my trailer.

Here is a shot of my rig with the wind deflector but note that it is angled too high in this shot. It should aim directly at the top of the front edge of the trailer, about a 30 degree angle (when you stop getting bugs on the front of the trailer you have it about right).

The truck is an 06 F-150 SCab 5.4L, the TT is an 08 Pioneer Spirit 18CK 22' 5600# GVWR that Cat scales at 4600# with the normal load. Have been consistently getting 11.5 to 13.5, (averaging around 12.5) driving the speed limit or a little less. Most of that driving has been in the serious mountains of Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. I keep the rpms at or under 2,000 most of the time and that is where most of the good mileage comes from.
Capt Steve really interested in the Scan Guage, does plug into the vehicles data port under dash? I agree with you on the wind deflector, had mine ( although not the same company), my SUV's mpg does benefit from the use, and it smooths out the aero hardships of pulling a TT, with a very aerodynamic car. Mt average to date is about, 2.5 to 3 mpg, depending we're we are going, mountainous or flat pulls for camping.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283

4-5mpg increase? WOW is all I can say. I know several who didn't get anything but a lighter wallet by buying and trying 1...including myself.
This was for a flat land tow, after using it for awhile on several trips, 2.3 at best. Location is very important, to include the angle to TT, the farther back on my roof rack the better I found. Not saying its the best for all situations, but has worked for me so far, especially in relieving the tow drag/ pressure off the front of the TT.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #18

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Capt Steve really interested in the Scan Guage, does plug into the vehicles data port under dash? I agree with you on the wind deflector, had mine ( although not the same company), my SUV's mpg does benefit from the use, and it smooths out the aero hardships of pulling a TT, with a very aerodynamic car. Mt average to date is about, 2.5 to 3 mpg, depending we're we are going, mountainous or flat pulls for camping.
Yes, the Scan Gauge just plugs into the OBD port under the dash. I've never had a simpler install of any piece of electronics in my life. It took all of 5 minutes to coil up the excess cable and secure the display with 3 pieces of velcro. Here is a shot of it mounted in the dash:

Capt Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I have two scan gauges - no longer use them ....

if you are in the area and I can find them.... come on by
Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
I have two scan gauges - no longer use them ....

if you are in the area and I can find them.... come on by
Interested if you want to get rid of one of them? Let me know the information to receive them, I can pay for shipping and all. I noticed " Texas Boomers" I have to ask, 135s or 10's and what time frame?

Thanks again, Perry
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
pm sent - going to Maumelle ark and Lake Enid this friday - remind me after the 17th and I'll look for them...