Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
Smile After 2 years........

...and a whole bunch of looking we decided to stay with our trailer. The DW and I looked and looked, spent hours going over specs, making choices on "A" or "C" motorhomes and actually narrowed it down to a couple. We backed off for a while to let it all settle and finally, after putting the pencil to it, decided to just keep the 2011 Keystone Laredo 298RE for a while longer and buy another truck.

We were pulling with a Ford F150 EcoBoost with all the bells & whistles but were right on the edge of being overloaded on the rear axle. We don't pull much, maybe 3 times a year, but now the grandkids want to go and that might put us overlimit on the rear axle with the shell and all the stuff in the bed and I just won't do that.

The amount of time we go just didn't justify a diesel and after a month of looking at axle weights, engines, rear end ratios, max trailer weights, tongue weights and such we ended up with a 2015 GMC 2500HD SLE Crew Cab 4X4 (with the new roomier back seat) 6.0 and 4:10 gears. Put 500 miles on it and pulled the trailer back 70 miles from our hunting lease.

FWIW I didn't baby this thing and just dogged it back home. 8 mpg at 70 mph on a very hilly, steep grade 2 lane highway with a couple of small towns thrown in. Mind you the trailer is close to 35', grosses 9000 and it was loaded. I think the truck will do considerably better on the interstates. Combination driving around the area without the trailer is showing about 14.5, but it is nowhere near broke in yet.....With the 6200 lb rear axle I won't have to worry about the load.....

Guys if you're looking at trucks DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Be sure and look on the door post and read the axle weight ratings. Be sure and figure in your "loaded" tongue weights and carrying capacity and get more than what you THINK you will need.

H n F (USN '69-72)
2009 Newmar Baystar 3202
Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad for now)
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #2

there is a whole thread on this in this forum

sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Congrats on the GMC. The new interiors are awesome.

I have had my 15 Duramax Denali for over 4 months now and I adore it. I own an architectural stone business and needed the diesel for towing flat trailers, but it sure simplified choosing a travel trailer.
2015 GMC Denali Duramax 2500
2015 ORV Creek Side 23BHS
453030 is offline   Reply With Quote