Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post

In a nutshell, how many times have you read "check for a bad ground" or "it sounds like a bad ground"? When you put a switch in the ground lead you make a bad ground for the whole system.

From a technical side introducing any resistance in the common return leads to developing a signal across that resistance. IF all one is doing is lighting a lamp it usually does not have noticeable effect. Once one adds complicated electronics signals start mixing together in the ground return and small unwanted couplings happen that lead to RF noise, Amplifier hum, and crosstalk in all signals. As the switch contacts oxidize and loosen over time the problems get worse until they become an obvious problem.

FWIW the common can be either the negative or positive side. The point is that in the US it is usually the negative rail. Most of the electronics sold here are built around that concept.
I would put it on the positive post because some things get their grounds through the frame other than the negative post therefore could drain battery anyway.

ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club

Old 09-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Old 09-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #18

Great video!

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
Old 09-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #19

It it's on the internet it must be true...

FWIW most of what he is saying will have the same results with a negative disconnect and a powered device. However current can flow it will. I just wonder where he got the wrong disconnects. Probably from European Positive Ground systems. ;-)
Old 09-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #20

I think the only argument for not connecting to the "neg" side would be in respect to corrosion. Having said that, many of the Battery Disconnect Switches on the market are designed to be used on the "Neg" side. The more connecting points in a "Neg" circuit, the greater chance of a circuit failure.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
I would put it on the positive post because some things get their grounds through the frame other than the negative post therefore could drain battery anyway.

Buy a good quality (marine grade for example) rotary disconnect swith and place it on the positive. In fact you could probably go to your local Marina tell them what you want and they will make the appropriate sized cable you need to hook it up.
FHExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
ksmith
Me thinks you don't understand how 12VDC systems in vehicles work.
If EITHER the positive OR the negative wires/cables are "disconnected" from a battery, (or a "bank" of batteries), NO 12 volt power can flow out of, (or into), the "disconnected" battery/batteries.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
I have my T/T plugged in at home but worry about "cooking the battery" If I put a disconnect switch on the battery to stop it from being overcharged will the rest of the T/T still have power?
Thanks
Mike

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
I have my T/T plugged in at home but worry about "cooking the battery" If I put a disconnect switch on the battery to stop it from being overcharged will the rest of the T/T still have power?
Thanks
Mike
Yes, as long as it's plugged into shore power, everything else will be powered up.

I've had two different 5th wheels that boiled the batteries dry while in storage (plugged up) and knowing that they will discharge themselves over time if not plugged in because of the LP sensor, if nothing else, I've installed disconnects on my last two(on the negative terminals) and never had any problems since. I still check the batteries on a monthly basis and top off with a good digital charger that I carry in the camper.

I don't really trust the built in battery charger function anymore and I get a better warm and fuzzy feeling with things since I've gone that route.

It's not a good feeling when you're loading up to head out and find out that you've got to spend some big bucks to replace batteries before you leave.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Thanks kg.

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
With AC the switch has to be on the hot side or very bad things will happen.
On DC either the pos or neg can be switched, it is only for a safety reason
you see the neg being switched on some battery installs.
It is a normal practice to switch either AC or DC on the hot side as one finds in
almost all items that use either AC or DC.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #27

Battery disconnects should be OE on RV's and boats. Parasitic drain kills batteries.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Battery disconnects should be OE on RV's and boats. Parasitic drain kills batteries.
timetogo
I agree that battery disconnects "should be" OE, (Original Equipment), on all RVs.....(but they certainly are NOT)!
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
battery, battery disconnect