Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #1

After Market Battery Disconnect

You would think by now that battery disconnects would be standard on all T/T but only starting to see them on show up here lately. Curious as to what some of you folks may have decided on to solve disconnecting your battery or batteries from the T/T electrical system...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

Amazon.com : Blue Sea Systems 9003e e-Series Battery Switch Single Circuit ON/OFF : Boating Battery Switches : Sports & Outdoors

Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan827 View Post
You would think by now that battery disconnects would be standard on all T/T but only starting to see them on show up here lately. Curious as to what some of you folks may have decided on to solve disconnecting your battery or batteries from the T/T electrical system...
Stan827
My coach batteries have been disconnected only once in 18 years, (in '07 when they were being replaced).
Why do you want to "disconnect" your T/T batteries.
Wondering?
Mel
'96 Safari, 133k miles
Old 09-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #4

If they are not disconnected they are slowly being drained by the internal coach sensors. Within a week the battery or batteries are pretty dead.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excellent choice if the coach did not come with these already; mine has them.

However when I do use these there is still some phantom 12 VDC power loads that will deplete the batteries within a few weeks or less.

I would install Knife-Blade Disconnects directly on the negative terminals of the batteries to fully disconnect power completely.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Stan827
My coach batteries have been disconnected only once in 18 years, (in '07 when they were being replaced).
Why do you want to "disconnect" your T/T batteries.
Wondering?
Mel
'96 Safari, 133k miles
By the way how do you like that Safari? Several years ago we just about purchased a 98 Safari with less than 50,000 miles but wound up not getting it and still think we missed a good deal.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
If they are not disconnected they are slowly being drained by the internal coach sensors. Within a week the battery or batteries are pretty dead.
Quote:
By the way how do you like that Safari? Several years ago we just about purchased a 98 Safari with less than 50,000 miles but wound up not getting it and still think we missed a good deal.
Stan827
IMO if your batteries go pretty dead within a week, (if/when you're not using your RV), something needs fixing.

I have been relatively happy with my Safari for 14 years, (105k miles).
Like most any RV, it has not been trouble free.... (but luckily it's NOT been a nightmare either.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Excellent choice if the coach did not come with these already; mine has them.

However when I do use these there is still some phantom 12 VDC power loads that will deplete the batteries within a few weeks or less.

I would install Knife-Blade Disconnects directly on the negative terminals of the batteries to fully disconnect power completely.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
With 50 plus years of mucking about in electrical/electronic work one thing that is clear to me is not to mess with ground systems. This board is the only place I have seen that recommends putting a disconnect in the ground. Even the manufacturers put it in the positive side and most folks here seem to think no one else is as clueless. ;-)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #9

I have seen battery doctor (rotary switch) mentioned several times on the forum, I have used the inexpensive brass w/green plastic knob 5bucks at Wal-Mart. They work well. However, recently I found a smaller/simple lug that bolts right to the battery terminal and has a separate wingnut for the wire. It works perfect (5 bucks)
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
With 50 plus years of mucking about in electrical/electronic work one thing that is clear to me is not to mess with ground systems. This board is the only place I have seen that recommends putting a disconnect in the ground. Even the manufacturers put it in the positive side and most folks here seem to think no one else is as clueless. ;-)
I've heard it didn't matter much where you put it, positive or negative. Can you explain the downside of putting it on the negative side?

Thanks,
Andre
Old 09-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
I've heard it didn't matter much where you put it, positive or negative. Can you explain the downside of putting it on the negative side?

Thanks,
Andre
In a nutshell, how many times have you read "check for a bad ground" or "it sounds like a bad ground"? When you put a switch in the ground lead you make a bad ground for the whole system.

From a technical side introducing any resistance in the common return leads to developing a signal across that resistance. IF all one is doing is lighting a lamp it usually does not have noticeable effect. Once one adds complicated electronics signals start mixing together in the ground return and small unwanted couplings happen that lead to RF noise, Amplifier hum, and crosstalk in all signals. As the switch contacts oxidize and loosen over time the problems get worse until they become an obvious problem.

FWIW the common can be either the negative or positive side. The point is that in the US it is usually the negative rail. Most of the electronics sold here are built around that concept.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
When you put a switch in the ground lead you make a bad ground for the whole system.
I disagree.
IMO, a "high quality battery disconnect switch" will not "make a bad ground".
Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

I disagree.
IMO, a "high quality battery disconnect switch" will not "make a bad ground".
Mel,

I agree with your disagreement!

What was stated about a "Bad Ground" doesn't make any sense whatsoever. His explanation would mean by installing it on the Positive side it could then make a bad positive connection and I guess you wouldn't have any power at all versus a bad ground.

Personally, let the installer put it where it's most convenient to get to and be done with it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #14

You are welcome to do whatever you want to. That does not make it a good idea.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect