Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #1

AGM Battery, good or not?

I am evidently behind the battery curve. A friend just got an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery and was telling me about the extended life. I'd never heard of it. I've looked around and seen what I would be looking for (24M) from about $90 to $300+. Does anyone out there have any experience with the AGM battery in their RV? And was it good or not? Thanks!
our3sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 AM   #2

They do have some advantages - mainly because they are fully sealed and don't require regular maintenance and can take a slightly deeper discharge than regular batteries - but they are more expensive and heavier and probably less tolerant of poor charging practices than flooded cell batteries.

Do you have any particular problems with your existing setup? Because merely changing to AGMs may not give a desired outcome
Old 05-14-2018, 04:46 AM   #3

AGM batteries, for the regular user, are just 3 times more expensive batteries that you don't have to clean with a hose and check the water in every 1 to 3 months.

If you compare performance, they match good old flooded batteries, except you can charge them at a higher rate. To charge them at a higher rate, you will need to upgrade your charging equipment.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #4

Someone provided there links a while ago. I am more familiar with lithium than LA and AGM, it is helpful.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

The 12volt Side of Life Part 2
Old 05-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #5

I've been in the battery business for over 20 years. The one thing I've noticed about AGM batteries is that when they go, they go. Not much of a warning, unlike flooded batteries.
Wet, or flooded, batteries get weaker and weaker, until they won't hold a charge as long. Eventually, they just stop taking a charge altogether.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
They do have some advantages - mainly because they are fully sealed and don't require regular maintenance and can take a slightly deeper discharge than regular batteries - but they are more expensive and heavier and probably less tolerant of poor charging practices than flooded cell batteries.

Do you have any particular problems with your existing setup? Because merely changing to AGMs may not give a desired outcome
Nothing wrong with the current system...that I can tell. My friend had just mentioned he bought one for the trolling motor and depth finder for is boat and what he was telling me sounded good. So just curious to know if the AGM is all that!

We have a couple Interstate SRM-24 batteries (not in parallel...no room in the cubby) that went low fairly quickly. that's either us spending too much time in the TT (not hiking or such stuff) or there's a drain on the battery I don't see. It was our first time out in this trailer but it still seemed a little quick from what I remember.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowmemperor View Post
Someone provided there links a while ago. I am more familiar with lithium than LA and AGM, it is helpful.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

The 12volt Side of Life Part 2
Thanks for the links, I'll be keeping those. Good stuff to know.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #8

Thanks all for the info. I think I'll just stay with my Interstates for now. I think I will re-route the cable to a larger area up front so I can get them in parallel. I'll follow the wiring as much as I can just to make sure I don't have a drain somewhere. I already pulled the fuse on the stereo.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are AGM batteries Good. YES. are they worth the extra cost. I think not.

I have heard the clais of "extended life" I have not been able to confirm either by RESEARCH (Battery maker web pages) or by personal testing.

I tried AGM.s put 'em on a 2nd loop in the RV (Inverter) programmed for AGM. They were the newest batteries in the RV (Some of which are older than the RV) and they were the first to fail. So I do not believe the "Longer life" claims.

They are however, maintenance free
And you can mount them without respect to 'This side up"
and you can put them in places you can not put a flooded wet.

But other than that... I'm not sold on 'em.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:37 AM   #10

The main issue with batteries is that many do not check the water levels in the battery.. If the levels are not maintained it will cause the battery to fail prematurely... Most say that they need to check the batteries and then forget or put off till tomorrow.... With AGM batteries this is not a problem... Also they can be discharged much further than a normal lead acid wet cell battery and still be recharged... If you a re a Sams club member check their AGM's I bought two for my boat for about 170 bucks apiece...Don't worry about the brand, as their are only about 3 manubacturers of batteries in the US and the put a variety of labels on them... Penn Manufacturing makes many batteries with the same specs with different brand labels.... Check out their spec sheet online and compare with the specs of the brand you are purchasing.... The same battery manufactured by Penn sold at Battery Plus, or West Marine was about 2to2 1/2 times more money than the ones I purchased at Sams Club....
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
The main issue with batteries is that many do not check the water levels in the battery.. If the levels are not maintained it will cause the battery to fail prematurely... Most say that they need to check the batteries and then forget or put off till tomorrow.... With AGM batteries this is not a problem... Also they can be discharged much further than a normal lead acid wet cell battery and still be recharged... If you a re a Sams club member check their AGM's I bought two for my boat for about 170 bucks apiece...Don't worry about the brand, as their are only about 3 manubacturers of batteries in the US and the put a variety of labels on them... Penn Manufacturing makes many batteries with the same specs with different brand labels.... Check out their spec sheet online and compare with the specs of the brand you are purchasing.... The same battery manufactured by Penn sold at Battery Plus, or West Marine was about 2to2 1/2 times more money than the ones I purchased at Sams Club....
The above statement about AGMs tolerating a deeper discharge then flooded batteries is not true.

If you research lead acid batteries, flooded or AGM, you will find nearly the same DOD ( Depth of Discharge ) specs.

Both types, AGM and flooded, list about a 1000 cycle at 50% DOD and about 500 cycles at 80% DOD.

AGM batteries are maintance free and can be charged at a higher amperage rate, if you have the proper high output charger, but that's about it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:15 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just so you know.. Two pair of GC-2 Flooded wet cell batteries can easily take 120 amps of charge current.. I do not know of any converter that puts out that much. Mine is 80 and my back up is 100 but if I add 'em together I only get about 60 flowing into the batteries due to the way they work.

And LIFELINE brand is the only one that advertises faster chargeing.

Tags
battery