Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
2 gallons of non poisonous anti freeze to do my rig. Cheap and guaranteed to do the job. Have seen the compresses air backfire so to speak...and you still have to use anti freeze in the traps, etc..
That's fine if you park your rig all winter. We use ours off and on all winter long. I also do not use anti freeze in the traps. I took a C B antenna base, removed the tip of a air blow gun, installed the base on the blow gun, reinstalled the tip. I place the base over the drain, mash the trigger, and blow out the p trap. As I said previously, We used air on fifty to one hundred motorhomes for fifteen years with zero freezing. That's about ten thousand coach's with no freezing lines.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I only blow out the lines. I used AF once DW didn't like the odor it left and the time it took to get rid of it (I'm nose blind). We have not had an issue yet.
Drain the air compressor tank and show the DW the wonderful stuff you are using in place of anti-freeze.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #17

yup..we do park all winter..

..and we never use the clear water tank for drinking water...
Old 10-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Drain the air compressor tank and show the DW the wonderful stuff you are using in place of anti-freeze.
There's nothing wrong with getting more iron in the blood once in a while.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I use a six inch bronze (sic?) air filter on my air line. I believe you are coating every inch of your water lines with man made chemicals. If you like your chemicals fine. I prefer my air.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #20

It's always entertaining about this time every year when the "winterizing" debate starts.

I've used the compressed air method, and the antifreeze method and both worked fine, but for ease of winterizing and de-winterizing the air method does it for me. In fact on my current rig, the owners manual suggests either or.

So I say... do what works for you and what makes you feel the most confident.
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #21

Why not both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
That's fine if you park your rig all winter. We use ours off and on all winter long. I also do not use anti freeze in the traps. I took a C B antenna base, removed the tip of a air blow gun, installed the base on the blow gun, reinstalled the tip. I place the base over the drain, mash the trigger, and blow out the p trap. As I said previously, We used air on fifty to one hundred motorhomes for fifteen years with zero freezing. That's about ten thousand coach's with no freezing lines.
Seems to me that having the traps empty would allow some funky smells from the holding tank(s) to enter into the living area. What are we talking about here a dollars worth of pink stuff down the traps? Cheap insurance if you ask me. Anyway.... I use a compressor then the pink stuff.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #22

In P-traps you could use, if you wanted, windshield fluid (the blue stuff). You can pick it up cheap and it's in the drain lines, no drinking it.
swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #23
CCH

Heartland RV Club
I know this is awfully old-fashioned, but a rubber plunger does a really good job of pushing the water out of a trap before putting the pink stuff in - and no adapter needed for the air line.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #24

FWIW I give the lines a quick blow out because the antifreeze we get these days is already mixed with water. I do not think more is good for it. Then I pump in the pink and make sure all valves get some through them so the closed spaces in the valve bodies get antifreeze. The traps have enough by the time I am done. In the spring I flush the lines then sanitize the water system with bleach. The bleach clears out the residual taste.

As far as chemicals go I am more concerned with oil from the compressor than I am with residual antifreeze. The same stuff is in all kinds of food products to keep things like salt from caking or packaged cupcakes moist for two examples. There are many, many more. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #25
IC2

Until last year I was an advocate of just draining then putting in a gallon or so of the pink stuff. I decided that I would try the blow out then install the pink stuff. I was surprised as to how much water came out after just a drain - water that (at least this 5er) would have diluted the pink stuff and maybe not protected the lines fully - and last year was dang cold here on the Northeast's tundra. This week may be the week if the rain holds off and provided I can drag the 30 gallon compressor up the hill as my Porter-Cable pancake nailer unit just doesn't have enough volume.

Oh and for the OP - a little pancake unit may or may not do your RV nor possibly not even a nailer. That nailer will need a certain cfm* output for operation which will be on the mfr's box. Harbor Freight have some pretty inexpensive compressors that will be fine for occasional tho not pro level use

* Cubic feet/minute
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, winter