Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Thumbs down Air Conditioner Sizing 13.5 vs 15

Newbie question, my efforts at searching didn't find this question asked before...
I'm looking for a new trailer in the 26-foot size. 99% of the time it will just be for 2 people. Most of the units I have come across have 13.5K BTU air conditioners with an option to upgrade to a 15K unit. What are the issues with one over the other? I am planning to do a tour of the country, so some longer trips to both hot and cool areas. Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.
Al
SailorSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Newbie question, my efforts at searching didn't find this question asked before...
I'm looking for a new trailer in the 26-foot size. 99% of the time it will just be for 2 people. Most of the units I have come across have 13.5K BTU air conditioners with an option to upgrade to a 15K unit. What are the issues with one over the other? I am planning to do a tour of the country, so some longer trips to both hot and cool areas. Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.
Al
I would go bigger, you can always turn the A/C down if its too cold. Youll enjoy the extra cooling if your traveling in the desert southwest.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are the trailers wired for 50 AMP or 30 AMP electricity?

If they are wired for 30 AMP you might have problems running other electrical appliances if you go with the 15K unit.

Personally after having a 26' class A motorhome wired for 30 AMP with a 13.5K unit and living in the south I won't buy another one.

Our coach now is a 35' Class A 50 AMP and I have upgraded the ac's to 15k.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #4

Bigger is better, yes size matters. RVs are hard to keep cool in warmer, sunny climates. Class A's are the worse was with all the glass but towables can be a challenge. If cost isn't the issue, do it.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

Simple.........

Go with the 15K option/upgrade
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:43 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we ordered our 40' Dutch Star I purposely got the 13.5 heat pumps knowing that the Newmar was well insulated, had dual pane windows plus an extra roof insulation package. We did just fine with one running in Yuma in 95° weather. BUT the Newmars are better insulated than most and I wanted to be able to run both on 30 amps if necessary.
However, going bigger will only hurt if they short cycle from being too large. But, better to have too much cooling than not enough! Go with the 15's I think you'll be happier that way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 AM   #7

We recently upgraded travel trailers from a 19' to a 26' and our new Bullet came with the optional 15k A/C. It does cool better. The Bullet has a 30 amp circuit and at one campground so far we tripped the campground pedestal 30 amp breaker a couple of times when the A/C was running and I believe my wife used the microwave at the same time. While I have not tried it yet, I'm also doubtful that my 2400 watt Yamaha inverter generator will run the 15k unit. It did run the 13.5k unit fine after I put a hard start capacitor on the A/C.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #8

No Dought, the 15m, here in Southern Georgia/Fl. the dealer we use only orders unit with 15m units for stock. Nothing unusual for 100 deg days here. We have 30 amp,service and had no proplems !
Old 05-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #9

Another consideration: 13.5K can probably run off a 2K genny, whereas a 15K may need a larger wattage genny.
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #10

Thanks to all. Other than the generator issue, sounds like the 15k option is the winner. Worst case, I'll have to get a pair of generators to run it if I'm bushwhacking.
Al
SailorSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Al
Also consider that most CG'S are kitted out with 30A not 50A service. So that should also be a consideration. We have a 13k A/c and so far it's cooled it nicely. But of course you need hook up.. unless your like the cool guys on here that have generators and stuff when boondocking.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #12

Bigger is better. We have a ducted 15K AC unit on our Winnie Minnie 2201DS. It cools that smaller trailer down in just a few minutes. We camp in the South so AC is rather important during the Summer months.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #13

Matrix

You know i love watching your entrance into the TT comunity, and i/us will do all we can do help you !

If you could have , you should have upgraded to the 15m unit ! I know you have an high end unit, and are up there in the "Great White North " and probably have a very well insulated unit ! But some day (hopefully ) you will visit us in the southern US, summertime highs 100's no problem, just hope to get a campsite in the shade !!!!!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #14

Matris

One More Thing !!

I am Jim, my wife is Pat !

Keep Matrix if you want (maybe i missed something ) But if i may ask !!!!

WHAT IS YOU NAME !!!

Tags
air conditioner