Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 03:24 AM   #1

Airstream—HOW?

I don’t own an airstream but I have always been intrigued by them. I’ve only found one layout that I like and I not only like it I love the layout. I currently own a TT that cost me 30k 6 years ago. We have.a12 year note on it. My question is, do you have to get a 30year note to afford airstream? The model I like is 160k and I can’t imagine making that hefty of a payment for something that will be in my garage for the Ohio winter months. How long is a normal length note on an airstream?
Kaysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 04:07 AM   #2

Of course you don't HAVE to. You don't HAVE to get an Airstream. Try working backwards to stay in your comfortable budget. You mention you don't want notes that large, but what notes do you want? Some want no note, others don't care.

Once you decide on your personal comfort level, you find one that fits that. It may mean you don't get a new Airstream, or an Airstream at all. We wanted a quality class A motorhome. They are priced at or above the Airstream you're looking at. We ended up finding a 8 year old version that we have a very comfortable note on that will be paid off in 5 years. In the end, it was the smartest decision, for us, regardless of our financial abilities.

We toured the Airstream factory a few years ago. From what we saw, there would be no concern in buying an older one. They are built like a tank through and through.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Some are more than intrigued by Airstream, but we're not one of them - too small, too restrictive layouts for us...

AND too expensive for what they are IMHO, I paid less than that for a 2011 43 foot diesel pusher !

With any rv, you should LOVE the layout first to make sure it works for you, then worry about brands, etc... good luck
Old 01-21-2020, 05:07 AM   #4

On an RV I think the Max length loan you can get is 15 years. You have to remember the Airstream with a MSRP of 160k can be bought for 150k plus tax puts you back to 160k. My credit union has a interest rate of 5.99% for an RV for 15 years. Any loan app will give you the payment of $1,350/mo.

That is a kinda nose bleed payment but it is an exclusive club.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
IC2

We have wandered through a couple bigger Airstreams but are way too snug for us with lowered head room along with no slide outs that further restrict movement and comfort. We also were not particularly impressed with the the furnishings for $150K and up (yeah, I know, smaller ones are less bucks). Think long and hard before you saddle yourself with that kind of debt for many years - personally I have nightmares over a 3 year car/truck loan and how much that vehicle really cost when paid off.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:26 AM   #6

There is no answer to your question. Some people will pay cash for an Airstream. Some will put 20+ percent down and finance the rest for N years. Some will put a minimum down, finance the rest and end up not being able to make the payments. Point being what seems a lot of money to some may not be for another.

When I bought my MH I put $25k down and now make double payments.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #7

With an Airstream you also need a high end tow vehicle, like a Range Rover or the most expensive truck you can buy. When you have a $160K 30' TT behind you you need the tow vehicle to look over priced as well.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
On an RV I think the Max length loan you can get is 15 years. You have to remember the Airstream with a MSRP of 160k can be bought for 150k plus tax puts you back to 160k. My credit union has a interest rate of 5.99% for an RV for 15 years. Any loan app will give you the payment of $1,350/mo.

That is a kinda nose bleed payment but it is an exclusive club.
YEP THATS
1349.31/MO
total interest payed 82875.20
total at the end of 15 years 242,875.20
THEN add to this deprecation and at the end of 15 years you've spent close to 400,000.00 for something that just sets there most of the time.

but I guess if you've got it flont it. I have it, but i'm sure as H*** not going to spend that much to buy a T/T.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysman View Post
I don’t own an airstream but I have always been intrigued by them. I’ve only found one layout that I like and I not only like it I love the layout. I currently own a TT that cost me 30k 6 years ago. We have.a12 year note on it. My question is, do you have to get a 30year note to afford airstream? The model I like is 160k and I can’t imagine making that hefty of a payment for something that will be in my garage for the Ohio winter months. How long is a normal length note on an airstream?

I suspect if you go talk to an Airstream dealer they will have financing available and would be able to answer your question.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #10

Agreed, Airstream dealer, or posting this under the Class A forum. Probably better info, or possible solutions, as the cost is more in their area of expertise.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #11

My wife grew up camping with a 30' Airstream ... Here dad was a school teacher and they left the day after school was out and was out for most of the summer....

So, as we started to to look for trailers in 2011 she wanted to look at Airstreams... even back then...Wow...or should I say OUCH! Believe me, they do depreciate... not appreciate!.

In our research we started to see posts from owners about "Spider Webbing" on the Aluminum... it seems like Alcoa coats the Aluminum skin... when Airstream installs the skin and use Rivets it seems like it caused the protective coating causing delamination on the skin.... There was lots to back up the claim.. .It seems like Alcoa would not pony up as it was Airstream that penetrated it with their rivets... At that point "Thor" was not covering it under warranty.

If your thinking of buying an Airstream new or used...I"d suggest you do some research...

Just a suggestion... It drove us away.
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The flip side of this discussion is longevity of the product. Rig size is a personal decision to be sure. That said, I camp in an Airstream from 1964. It's been updated - more than once with new furnishings and several fridges over the years but is still in wonderful condition. That's a 55 year old trailer... over time, dollar for dollar it's a great deal.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Confused by your question. Surely you realize that there a things in life that you can not afford. This should not come as a shock to any adult. The same goes for many Class A RVs, luxury autos, yachts, expensive real estate, and the list goes on.

Why should an Airstream be any different?

While many do finance their RV of choice there are just as many that would not purchase a lifestyle item that had to be financed.

We are all different. Simple as that.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #14

I looked at the Airstream Classic 27 for 120k a few years ago. Then I walked into a 60k 5th wheel and was sold on the 5th wheel. Way more if everything for half the price. More space, more storage, bigger holding tanks, and more comfortable.

For my budget I could not pull the trigger on an Airstream.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airstream