Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Not sure of the reason for downsizing. Spend $70,000-$100,000 so you can't take all you need? Seems backa$$wards. I guess that's why you see 95% of full timers going with 40' MH or 35-40' 5th wheels. Why give up your life style when you can take it with you. For the same amount of money for a 25' AS I can get a fully loaded 5th wheel and have room to stretch out as well as have a place for the things I enjoy.
I didn't know going camping was all about being forced to leave things at home. I certainly wouldn't justify having less to camp with just to stay in an AS.
The lack of dual pane windows alone would be a major turn off as well as the heat that is generated from the aluminum body. Anyone ever go canoeing? Try touching an aluminum canoe that's sat out in the sun for an hour. Now try touching a fiberglass one. Big difference.
Your response confuses two distinct styles of using an RV. Full timers have no sticks and bricks house, they carry everything they need because their home must store everything from Christmas decorations to summer hiking gear.

Camping on the other hand is "camping (n) the activity spending a vacation living in a camp, tent, or camper; to live temporarily in or as if in a camp or outdoors, usually for recreation" Notice the words 'vacation and temporarily.' If it's just a vacation, you can do without many things people require for full time living.

RVs come in all sizes and for all uses. Many buy their first RV and discover it's too small, others start out too big so they downsize to shed the complications and expense of hauling everything.

To equate a polished, insulated Airstream with an aluminum canoe is a bit of a stretch to discount an Airstream. If you don't like them, don't buy one. Many are quite satisfied with the design and efficiency of an Airstream.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
older Airstreams may/are be a bit different from newer ones since Thor bought them a few years back and i'm confident they are doing Their best to cut expenses IMO thats the way Thor works.
Fact Check: Thor has been the owner/operator of Airstream for over 35 years...see:
Thor Industries - About Thor - Our History
And, registration reports show that well over 70% of all Airstreams EVER built are still on the road. This would suggest that the average Airstream is built rather well and surely better than other brands.

Airstream, like several other brands that were independant in the past, are big pieces of the Thor Industries family of RV's after being acquired and rescued from possible closure...see:
Operating Entities - Thor Industries, Inc.

Generalizations of poor quality against ANY maker that is still operating will prove erroneous.
Knowledge is power.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Fact Check: Thor has been the owner/operator of Airstream for over 35 years...see:
Thor Industries - About Thor - Our History
And, registration reports show that well over 70% of all Airstreams EVER built are still on the road. This would suggest that the average Airstream is built rather well and surely better than other brands.

Airstream, like several other brands that were independant in the past, are big pieces of the Thor Industries family of RV's after being acquired and rescued from possible closure...see:
Operating Entities - Thor Industries, Inc.

Generalizations of poor quality against ANY maker that is still operating will prove erroneous.
Knowledge is power.

Safe travels
Thanks for the reminder about THOR - the company was actually formed when two people joined forces to purchase Airstream in 1980. Here's the quote from their web site:

"Thor Industries was founded in 1980 by Wade Thompson and Peter Orthwein with the purchase of Airstream. Thor Industries went public in 1984 and since that time, Thor has grown both organically and through strategic acquisitions in both recreational vehicles (RVs) and buses, though the Company divested its bus business in 2013 to focus on its core RV business. Today Thor is the sole owner of operating subsidiaries that, combined, represent one of the world’s largest manufacturers of RVs."

I feel certain THOR does everything they can think of to reduce manufacturing costs in all their brands. I don't know of many (or any) companies that like to increase manufacturing costs.

However, as an Airstream owner, I will be the first to say they could do some seemingly simple things to increase quality. Regardless, we like our 1992 trailer and it's still going strong.

We know several people who full-time in Airstreams. For that matter we know several people who full-time in class B and small class C motorhomes. Some, like us, carry lots of stuff but many Airstream full-timers are very good about living with less. Similarly, the class B and small class C folks are living with less but that does not necessarily mean sacrificing. It means making things do more than one task. It means living with one or two televisions, not three or four. I'm not trying to pick sides - just mentioning that compact is not always a negative.

nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream