Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #1

Airstream Owner Question

We keep looking at Airstream Trailers in the 25' range. (And why not, it's cheap entertainment!) At any rate, how do owners handle the lack of basement storage for things like a BBQ, chairs, hoses, clean supplies, and all the other "stuff" that we seem to need. Look forward to hearing from AS owners. And thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Tow the trailer with a full length pick up truck with a cover on the bed. In addition, some stuff can be carried in the trailer and unloaded at your campsite.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #3

We have a teeny tiny 16' Airstream Bambi. The previous comment about the truck is spot on! People always laugh and point out that our F-150 is bigger than our trailer! If I were to replace the truck (no need as it is just 5 years old and has about 110000 miles on it) I would look at a longer bed and maybe even an F-250 today. Not because I need the towing capability but rather because I want the payload capacity...

Just a thought but have you searched/posted this question on Airforums? It is an Airstream forum and you would get a bunch of opinions...

Bruce
Old 12-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Beard View Post
Just a thought but have you searched/posted this question on Airforums? It is an Airstream forum and you would get a bunch of opinions.
While I am not a member of that forum, I have done some Airstream forum reading on and off for the last 2-3 months. An interesting place for sure.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #5

Airstream trailers are more for show than go. Lack of storage is the reason serious RV'rs buy other brands. That and the lack of sufficient room while on the road for any time longer than 2-3 days. They're a great weekender IMO.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We don't have an Airstream, but creative use of stacking storage units that ride in the shower and stow under the 14ft TT when camping is a start.

Folding stools instead of camp chairs saves space. I use some ergo dynamic ones that are easy on the back.

I also totally clear the TT after trips instead of storing "might use" items. Then, I only pack for the upcoming trip.

If we camp for longer than a weekend, or if we bring fishing equipment etc. then I use a pop up 4 person tent as a storage unit.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Okay, I realize this is an old thread but have a few comments that may help others when they search on this topic.

We have a 1992 Airstream so we've experienced what others refer to as lack of room for storage. There are obvious differences between Airstreams and other travel trailers but the reduced space is not as dramatic as it may seem on the surface. Airstream does a reasonably good job with storage in a variety of locations and you must decide which of your items to store in which locations. Infrequently used items go in the harder to reach storage areas.

5th wheels have lots of storage as do many Class C and Class A motorhomes. It's great that there are such a variety of RVs available for buyers to consider. As they say... different strokes for different folks.

For us, and other Airstreamers the choice is whether you need lots of stuff, if so, how much stuff, and are you willing to carry it in other areas such as your tow vehicle. We know many people who travel for extended periods in Airstreams. Many are full-timers. We've been on the road as long as 3 months and didn't have any problems with storage. So Airstreams aren't simply limited to weekend camping.

Airstreams last quite a long time. Even though there are problems that need to be addressed from time to time, I'd venture to say that most Airstreams ever produced are still around somewhere - many of them still on the road. Airstreams are the "F-150" of the RV world.

Back to carrying your stuff. A pickup truck or large SUV such as a Suburban (our favorite tow vehicle) is a good option. Be sure to consider a product such as Extendo-Bed or Bedslide to make the stuff in your truck or SUV more accessible. Obviously, if you have a truck, some sort of topper is invaluable.

We have an Extendobed in one of our Suburbans and a Bedslide in our second Suburban. Both work well for us. There are other brands of similar products. We purchased both the Extendobed and Bedslide used - be sure to check eBay and craigslist

Truck Bed Extender & Organizer | Pickup Bed Slide Out

BEDSLIDE Cargo Management

Hope you ended up with an Airstream - we certainly enjoy ours.

See ya down the road!
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #8

I actually made a bed slider when I had a shorter 22' TT and an 08 F150 with the 6.5" bed. Worked great but I really got tired of crawling inside to load the forward most items. If I were to do it again I'd just buy one of the light weight aluminum ones. Only way to make packing gear in a truck easier. Almost everything we took was in the truck. Worst part was the loading and unloading every time we went camping. We tend to go out about 50 nights a year so that can make for lots of packing since most trips are weekends. Even being able to slide the gear out to be more accessible helped, I still had to pack it to the garage till the next trip.
Not saying a 5th wheel is better as this topic isn't about that, but once loaded for the season, all my camping gear is left inside the 5th wheel.
I guess that's one of the reasons I'd never get an Airstream. The only ones that have enough space are the 30' ones and at $130,000 for a new one they're out of my price range. For 1/3rd that I can get a real nice TT that has way more storage. Unless someone plans on keeping it for 25yrs I just do see the value in them.
Airstreams remind me of when Harley Davidson was at their peak in sales back in the 90s. HD couldn't make them fast enough to keep up with demand. Owners could sell them a year latter for what they paid for them because the wait time for an ordered one was so long and dealers had trouble stocking them.
HD's sales were fueled by the Dotcom Yuppie movement of the 90's. Today Airstream is enjoying a resurgence in sale due to an improving economy. With Airstream orders taking months to deliver, the price is being artificially inflated by a huge demand.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Here are the details on how we addressed the storage issue for large items that we don't want in the RV.

I recently enhanced the Bedslide in our 2005 Suburban to add a shelf to the basic Bedslide tray.

The first two pictures below show the original Bedslide with its 4" aluminum edging and the second two pictures show the enhanced Bedslide with a shorter 1" edge on the bottom and the shelf.

Total weight of the Bedslide is about 150 pounds, but we save about 75 pounds by removing the 3rd row seat. The camping equipment and tools on the Bedslide weigh 380 pounds. My thought is this is suitable for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton tow vehicle but not a 1/2 ton vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4351.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	114657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4347.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	114658  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5271.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	114659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5273.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	114660  

nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lack of storage is the main reason we didn't consider Airstream, that and price was a consideration as well. If the storage was there the price might not have come in to play as much. For me, the lack of storage was 100% unacceptable since the bed of my F350 is always full of firewood, kayaks, and other fishing gear. No room for the things I keep year round in my trailer pass through. I'm hoping some day Airstream comes up with some creative "bulk" storage options similar in usefulness to the common pass through. I like the quality and fit/finish of them.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Here are the details on how we addressed the storage issue for large items that we don't want in the RV.

I recently enhanced the Bedslide in our 2005 Suburban to add a shelf to the basic Bedslide tray.

The first two pictures below show the original Bedslide with its 4" aluminum edging and the second two pictures show the enhanced Bedslide with a shorter 1" edge on the bottom and the shelf.

Total weight of the Bedslide is about 150 pounds, but we save about 75 pounds by removing the 3rd row seat. The camping equipment and tools on the Bedslide weigh 380 pounds. My thought is this is suitable for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton tow vehicle but not a 1/2 ton vehicle.
Wow, that is a lot of stuff creatively stowed!
All my years living on a ship failed to teach me to be that organized!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #12

nvest...that is absolutely very impressive.

I always thought a 27' Airstream Classic being towed by a 3/4 ton truck with an 6.5' bed with a cap on it would be a cool way to travel. Carry the stuff in the truck bed.

But the nose bleed price of an Airstream caused me to buy SOB (Some Other Brand). Oh...and no slides and oh 1,400 hand rivits which any one of them could leak also factored into me buying SOB.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #13

It's the poor Airstream workmanship that turned us off. The materials are great, the execution not so much.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #14

I was at the very unorganized factory 1 year ago. There were parts and material all over the place and many of the processes where manual and not automated.

I also do not like the way they overlap the aluminum panels. It looks uniform but the leading edge of one panel is into the wind/rain as the trailer is towed at 65mph. Sitting still no problem but being towed IMHO is a flaw.

Tags
airstream