Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Al-Ko Ultrulube mishap

I was heading out to the mountains this morning towing my 2011 Rockwood Ultralite Travel Trailer. When I got to the interstate - the entrance was closed. I had to go turn around at a service station and since old habits die hard, I did my walk around to check things before going to find the way I was supposed to get on the interstate. Good thing I did. I have AL-KO bearing repacking system on the TT along with the entire AL-KO axle, brake, hubs and drums. The grease cap had blown off and grease was all over my tire and wheel. I touched the hub and it was so hot it burned my finger. If the interstate entrance hadn't been closed, I would have been standing on the side of the road watching my TT and new truck burn to the ground with everything I have in it. There was no need for me to stop until I had gotten to my destination - except for that closed entrance ramp to the interstate. Feeling lucky and pretty freaked out at the "coincidence". But I was wondering if anyone else has this AL-KO Ultrulube system and if this has happened to you? I have an extended warranty on my TT and I'm hoping this is covered since it's not standard equipment. Won't know until in the morning. In the meantime, this blew my trip to shreds. Now all I can think about is the four other hubs I have that this could happen to. If it's an easy fix, I'll buy extra parts to take care of it just in case.

GraciesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
How long ago was someone into it?

timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
I had the same thing happen to me down on alligator ally back in 2009 when we had a TT with the AL-KO axle. It had been about 7 months and about 3500 miles, post me doing a bearing/brake repack and inspection.

Mine got so hot when I took the spindle nut off some of the threads came off with it.

Axle shop looked at it and said it would be cheaper to buy a new one rather than fix it. I guess it's hard to replace the spindle in those torsion axles.

Good Luck

I ordered a new axle with brake assy so all I had to do was replace the axle.
Dave & Brenda
2007 Chevy 2500 Duramax
2012 Sabre 31 RETS 5'er
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Good news?

According to the Good Sam Extended Warranty plan that I have, all of this should be covered. I'm just concerned that since it wasn't standard equipment, it might not be covered. Won't be sleeping tonight . . . won't sleep until I talk to Good Sam. Irritating that they are only open M - F.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
Please post as to how Good Sam's handles this.
Loving My RV
2005 Dolphin 6355 LX W24
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
Good Sam

I called, they gave me a list of people that would fix the problem, I talked to them, they called Good Sam, and Good Sam approved the repairs. They've ordered parts. I'm having all the wheels regressed, the grease caps and plugs checked before I hit the road. Expensive job, but worth it considering the alternative . . . I'm sure one of the other three hubs could blow as well.