Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #15

My DW and I looked hard at the 30 ft. Classic that I could get down from a whopping out of this world price of $96,000MSRP to a whopping out of this world selling price of $82,000. I do think they are cool. I gotta give them that.

But no outside storage, no slides, small shower, and you really do have to take care of the exterior always looking for loose rivets and having it re-sealed.

The Excel Winslow trailer is the only trailer that comes close to the A/S in price at a whopping $70,000MSRP probably get it for $58,000. This trailer has basement storage and huge opposing living area slides. You could actually full-time in this trailer as it also has a bed slide as well as a wardrobe slide in the bedroom. It is the Winslow 33RLE.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
......., and you really do have to take care of the exterior always looking for loose rivets and having it re-sealed.
Again,
I think you are falling for "Internet lore". The vast majority of Airstreams I run into have had no loose rivets and although people do chase the occasional leak it appears that there are as many leak stories here in IRV2 on other trailers.
No trailer is maintenance free. If you believe that you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

As to slides and storage etc, most people subscribe to the "bigger is better" theory and if that is your bag perhaps Airstream is not the answer.
My wife and I wanted the smallest Airstream currently in production and although we have met lots of people who claimed it would be impossible for two to spend more than a weekend in, we are at week 4 of a five week vacation and we couldn't be happier.

As to a previous post about being ""in the club", who doesn't get excited when you see another example of whatever you are currently towing? If I had a Jayco I would be looking for others to see how people liked them and used them. I like lots of trailers and I suspect that most readers here do too.

Bruce

YouTube
Bruce Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #17

Bruce - I was thinking that maybe the smaller A/S don't have as many problems at the larger 30 footers. There would be much less flex in the smaller units.

That internet lore is coming from the Long Long Honeymoon A/S 'Vinnies Repair', the A/S forum, and an old A/S salesman.

For the price of 82k for 30ft Classic A/S I would flip out if I had any issues. SOB that costs 20k - I would flip out not at all.

Cool video. I will never say a A/S trailer is not cool.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #18

I think Earthbound was on the right track to offer an alternative. Unfortunately they are now out of business. I believe they priced themselves out of the market among other things. I now have a rarity. I do really like it. To coin a phrase "the best RV that never was" Assets of Earthbound RV to be sold at auction (Photos) - National RVing | Examiner.com
Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Bruce - I was thinking that maybe the smaller A/S don't have as many problems at the larger 30 footers. There would be much less flex in the smaller units.

That internet lore is coming from the Long Long Honeymoon A/S 'Vinnies Repair', the A/S forum, and an old A/S salesman.

For the price of 82k for 30ft Classic A/S I would flip out if I had any issues. SOB that costs 20k - I would flip out not at all.

Cool video. I will never say a A/S trailer is not cool.
My perspective is slightly different as I have spent my life fixing things. I am a mechanic who runs a business and as far as I am concerned everything breaks!

I think that Airstreams break, I think that SOB's break, they leak, you find dumb short sighted factory screw ups, things fall off, you name it? Somewhere,somebody is fixing something in a new Prevost, Mercedes or Toyota! Somewhere,somebody is angry about it and complaining on a forum about it too!!!!

Buy what will serve your purpose, maintain it well, keep it washed and waxed, show it off to others who admire it (there will be plenty of envious people no matter what it is) and have fun! That is what it is all about. When it does break, fail, fall apart or leak, fix it or have it fixed and get back to the business of having fun. Life is short.

Thanks for the comment on the video. My wife is slowly putting our life on YouTube, glad you enjoyed it.
Bruce
Bruce Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I think Earthbound was on the right track to offer an alternative. Unfortunately they are now out of business. I believe they priced themselves out of the market among other things. I now have a rarity. I do really like it. To coin a phrase "the best RV that never was" Assets of Earthbound RV to be sold at auction (Photos) - National RVing | Examiner.com
From some of the posts I've read on these things, the problems people have had, and the premium prices, I say good riddance.

My dealer has a dingy 3 year old one on the lot they still want over $40k for it. I just don't see how that is justified considering the poor quality and some of the design quirks/shortcomings.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #21

I'm just speaking from personal experience with mine and have read the negative stuff. Way better quality than 90% of the stuff I looked at when I was at the RV show this year with the stapled cabinetry and spongy floors. Pieces of the interior were already falling off some of them at the show. I've had a few minor issues that were easily fixed by me. My wife and I love the unit so far. No leaks, everything works. I had to put loctite on all the hinge screws (European style) and haven't had a door fall off since. The earlier ones definitely seemed to have more issues and they were never able to recover.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #22

I think I would enjoy reading this post even if I did not submit it myself. Good insights all around. I kept an old popup functional for 20 years and can relate to some of the maintenance but I had the advantage of parking that inside and it had very few appliances.
celler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #23

Of all the non-airstream trailers mentioned I like the cool looking Element.
Did you look at the good looking interior?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #24

Dan Rodabaugh designed the Earthbounds and the Element. Definitely similarities and developing ideas.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Of all the non-airstream trailers mentioned I like the cool looking Element.
Did you look at the good looking interior?

I agree this looks pretty good. Did a dealer serch and have to drive 300 miles to see one. I alos like it is about 1ft shorter than the standard trailer. I wonder how it pulls?
celler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #26

It sure looks very aerodynamic and that is a huge factor in towing. I actually did look at them. My opinion was - wow, really cool from the outside and modern on the inside. Everything had a quailty feel to it. A lot of nice rounded corners. You could tell it was a quality interior build. I did not look at the tires or frame.

I probably would not drive 300 miles to look at a trailer unless there were other things along the way I wanted to see. Or if I was sure I would be buying it.

In a month I will drive 430 miles to pick up a Keystone Vantage trailer I bought on eBay. But on that trip I will stop at Mount Mitchell to see the highest point of North Carolina as well as. Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Georgia.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Look at the vintage Avions from the 1980's. Nothing on the market is built as well as these old jewels.

Ken
There is one for sale now on the escapees.com forums. I think it is a 89 model. I replied to this at your post there.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #28

I'm not oversold on the Airstream construction.

You might make a real investigation. An Airstream is easily capable of 20+ years and a quarter-million miles before it goes to the next owner.

A conventional TT would be lucky to go 75k miles and ten years before structural damage. There is an enormous difference between these types. I just bought a 1990 Silver Streak and have exactly zero concerns about construction. Granted, it's a better built trailer of the same type as Airstream, but I'd not worry over one of those either. Show us the forums with thousands of threads on 1970's and 1980's TT's being refurbished versus the threads from the owners of any conventional TT . . they aren't there since those TT's collapsed in a field or were sent to the landfill long ago.

And, plenty of used A/S TTs out there for the budget-minded. From ten to twenty years of age is a real bargain for some DIY work (appliance replacement and cosmetic update in main).

You are correct that the relation of seating and exterior views is unmatched. As is the road performance . . the difference in that aspect is a gulf no conventional trailer can cross.

I'd say the main points of comparison are in a permanent roof, aerodynamic design (12-24-degree sidwall/roof radius plus covered underside) as well as low COG and fully independent suspension. If those are present then one has a good potential Airstream alternative. But not otherwise.

For the long-term, quality cannot be beat. Lower costs in all respects when properly understood.

Good luck.

Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream, evergreen