Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #29

We have a 89 30' Avion and it's a jewel. Absolutely the best trailer around. Too bad they were too expensive to build and are out of production.
Torsion bar suspension, twins, real wood interior, 8500# gross and tows like a dream
Large rear bathroom with cedar lined closets.
More room in the mid kitchen cabinets than an Airstream too.
Check out the Avion website and you might find one for sale.
I tow it with a Dodge Ram.
Seajack
Concrete, Wa.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajack View Post
We have a 89 30' Avion and it's a jewel. Absolutely the best trailer around. Too bad they were too expensive to build and are out of production.
Torsion bar suspension, twins, real wood interior, 8500# gross and tows like a dream
Large rear bathroom with cedar lined closets.
More room in the mid kitchen cabinets than an Airstream too.
Check out the Avion website and you might find one for sale.
I tow it with a Dodge Ram.
Seajack
Concrete, Wa.
We have a 1972 Airstream. It's made better than my patents 2003 Airstream

Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #31

x2
airstream owner
1998 3500 Dodge DRW, 130,000 mi. on a 5.9L,24Vdiesel engine w/ turbo, 4 spd. 4:10 rear.
2003 Artic Fox 31W 2,10lb. rat terriers and "the cat"
Back to fulltime in 2014..YEA!!!
daydreamer36535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #32

Greetings. I shopped for a few years before purchasing a used Airstream; however, one of the best new trailer options I found was the Galileo. It is modern, upscale and built like a tank. It has a full fiberglass roof for one thing. That is rare in a trailer. A Winnebago rep told me that living in FL, with the heat and sun, It would be best for me to get an all fiberglass or metal roof- storing, etc. Considering that they made neither I took his advice. As some have stated, there are used Airstreams out there which are an alternative to the big new AS$$$. The Galileo is Euro looking. Galileo RV Travel Trailers by JMS

My advice is to consider what it is about an Airstream you like before considering an alternative, otherwise you may not be happy. If it is price, then think about used. In my opinion, they are built as well as other trailers. When I shopped I looked at a new Winnebago 26 ft Vista motorhome. I measured the cabinets inside and out and found the storage to be nearly identical to my 25' Airstream. There was more exterior storage but less interior. A twin model airstream has three trunks instead of one with the queen models. I highly recommend the twin model as it sleeps the same number but has more storage, offers easy access to lockers in the BR as well as a changing room. . Like many I have gone to RV shows and have seen all kinds of quality issues with MANY brands. A computer desk broke off and fell on one $100K motorhome I looked at- screws loose. On a new AS, the bedroom floor was loose!
Most Airstreams do not have slides either. How many do you plan to sleep? Airstreams 23-28 ft. are good up to about four people if not a bunk model. My neighbor, a retired Airstream and SOB dealer told me that one of the first things they did to qualify their customers was figure out if they planned on multiple destinations or a few with longer stays as a usage habit. The Airstreams are for the former choice as they hold up and are great for towing. If the buyers planned on going to visit family for a month in one spot then SOB. I believe that this consideration would apply to slides as well-frequency of movement. Some trailers have floorplans that require the slides out every time it is used. The space is nice but the setup would get old every night or two if on the move plus the wear on the motors. I wanted to stay in the $30-40K price point and was able to do it buying a six year old model hardly used AND stay in the low end of my range. I have seen other 5-6 year old models around the same price. Mine was on a lot for over a year. There are so many choices out there but what is best for one may not be for another.

Tags
airstream, evergreen