Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Alternative to an Airstream

Can anyone guide me to TT brands that have "designer" interiors like you find in the various Airstream models. The Airstreams also appear to give you good visibility of the outdoors when inside. I'm not oversold on the Airstream construction. Seems there are pros and cons to various designs. I Don't need to be part of an exclusive club. We are looking for a TT that is 20-25ft. It will just be my wife, 2 small dogs, and I. Plan to visit a lot of National Parks spending a week and moving to the next location. We will be doing alot of towing. Tow vehicle F 150. We have had only had a tent camper previously.

Thank you for your time. I'm new to the forum.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #2

Welcome to IRV2! You might want to look at the Keystone Vantage Line. We have a 25RBS and love it!!. There has been talk of discontinuing the line but I don't think they've made the decision yet. They are a good trailer with a modern looking interior and a similar exterior to the Airstream but slightly modified. We also have a F-150 that we pull the Vantage with. Good luck with your search!!

TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #3

Airstream is a good trailer, but it comes at a hefty price premium. An older one may be a good restoration project if you are so inclined.

I have a Vantage and love it. The last of them are still on lots and are being clearance priced to get rid of them. There probably won't be any more.

Another line to consider is the Forest River Aviator. They are quite pricey, but you may find someone who is marking them down to clear them out.

I just can't see how someone can justify $60-$80k for a travel trailer. Seems like a VERY tiny market.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #4

I looked hard at airstream trailers. I could not justify that price for what you get. Plus airstream trailers by their aluminium design a prone to issues other trailers don't have. Both screws and rivets loosen up with the flex of the trailer as it is being towed. Cabinets are screwed into thin sheet aluminum and will fall right off the wall. They do look cool but yikes, you have to treat them with kid gloves. Google 'Long Long Honeymoon' and then pick Vinnies Repair.

I am looking for a travel trailer and the Vantage is on my short list. But you do not get any pass thru storage that you get with a conventional built trailer. DW is all about that storage.

Another trailer that I kinda like is the Koala 24 RBK. The reason is it is made out of Azdel. No wood. It has outside storage plus good inside storage. It has an outside kitchen which I also kinda like. Although I like the idea of Azdel I am worried about the build quality a little.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

I'm not impressed with the Skyline. Looks like a generic low-end trailer. If you like that layout, check out the Crossroads Sunset Trail 25RB. It's similar, has a fiberglass cap and they deal on them.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I looked hard at airstream trailers. I could not justify that price for what you get. Plus airstream trailers by their aluminium design a prone to issues other trailers don't have. Both screws and rivets loosen up with the flex of the trailer as it is being towed. Cabinets are screwed into thin sheet aluminum and will fall right off the wall. They do look cool but yikes, you have to treat them with kid gloves. Google 'Long Long Honeymoon' and then pick Vinnies Repair. .....
I have lurked here for about one year now. I hate to use my first post to complain about something but after one year and about 10,000 miles not one screw or rivet has loosened in our Airstream. No cabinets have fallen off and we certainly don't treat it with kid gloves.

I am not saying I have not had issues, just that most (all)have nothing to do with the trailers aluminum body (that we personally love). Most failures have been appliance things and were easily repaired.

Yes you pay for an Airstream and no they are not for everybody. We love ours and could not imagine anything else, not now, not for the way we use it.

I think the op was looking for alternatives not help rationaliing a decision already made from someone who has not even owned an Airstream.

I am curious what other trailers are considered "high end". I am looking forward to people's thoughts.

Sorry for the rant!
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	34080  
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at the vintage Avions from the 1980's. Nothing on the market is built as well as these old jewels.

Ken
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #8

Maybe look at these.
Element - Evergreen Recreational Vehicles, LLC. - Manufacturer of Green eco-friendly Everlite RVs
Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #9

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely gives me some options to research.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Beard View Post
I have lurked here for about one year now. I hate to use my first post to complain about something but after one year and about 10,000 miles not one screw or rivet has loosened in our Airstream. No cabinets have fallen off and we certainly don't treat it with kid gloves.

I agree - Airstreams are extraordinarily durable (mine was made in 1964 and is still on the road). That said, looking at models a few years older (1985 - 2000) will save you a sack full of cash and probably not be big projects if they were well maintained by their original owners. BTW - welcome to the board

You might also look at some Bigfoots - again older ones will save you some coin.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #11

Every camper made is an alternative to AirStream and yet there is no alternative at all. You are either in the club or you are not in the club. You either own an AirStream or you own SOB. (Some Other Brand)

Avion might be an exception.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #12

We bought a new Forest River Salem 27RLSS. 33ft long, love it.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #13

Well I'm not buying that any trailer is really any more durable than another. They all have an indefinite life span if given a minimum of care and maintenance. All the "systems" are the same (i.e. AC, refrigerator, furnace, stove, etc.) so all of those are expected to last the same. The skin may outlast any other type, but aluminum has it's own issues as research will show you. I've seen plenty of 10 year old trailers that need extensive refurbishment.

I will grant you this though - if "I" paid $60k for a 25 ft airstream, it would definitely be stored inside, well cared for and probably last forever. Considering I can buy a really nice 40 foot 5th wheel for that kind of bread, that is alot of dough per foot.

Restoring them apparently is a good business to be in. I saw this segment on cable TV where they were showing this Airstream they restored with a completely wood interior - was pretty - they were saying they were going to sell it for "at least" $250k! I appreciate the aesthetic, and desire for something special, but good grief!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #14

Not a designer interior by any means, but if you want something that'll last and is all aluminum. Check out the livinlite 21RBS. Also, a slideout in any trailer makes a world of difference in terms of space. Check out the link below. I think these are going for around $25k-$30k depending on what options. I think you can get it custom with the painted cabinets like on the Livinlite VRV so it looks more artsy. I'm not a fan of the wood wannabe paneling.

CampLite All Aluminum Travel Trailer Floorplans by LivinLite

Tags
airstream, evergreen